Very disappointed with my dyno result!

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
Had a power run on dyno to se where things are at today. Crap is the only word I can think of that comes close.

The car and mods list is: series 1, manual, new clutch, FMIC with ALL pipes replaced to alloy inc engine bay, 3inch cat-back, HKS air panel, Boost controller set to 13psi. New hoses and secured of all leaks!

Obviously running a bit rich without replacement ECU, but still expecting around 150-170ish ATW - WRONG!! only a weeny 138ATW!!

Is my car screwed or is this what others are getting.

Thanks
Cam:banghead:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
what AFR's were you getting, is the HKS a panel filter or a pod and what octane are you running?

G

Unregistered
Seems very low for the mods done, but there are heaps of reasons why it could be such a low reading:

1. The Dyno might have been out or hadn't been calibrated. I know some Dyno's read higher/lower than others.
2. Could have been the dyno operator.
3. You might have low compression in one (or more) of the cylinders.
4. Turbo's might be on their way out.
5. There might be a boost leak or problem that has been overlooked.

I'd double check all the vacuum hoses and joiners first, then check compression with a compression tester. If all of that looks ok then organise a power run on a different dyno to see if there's a difference and go from there.

You should definately be making more power though.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if you don't have any leaks in your cooler pipes or vacuum hoses.. i'll bet its your o2 sensor.. replace it..

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
It is the HKS panel not pod. New plugs just in, and apparantly went over all hoses - they found 2 that were suspect and replaced. AFR do get near 10 above 400rpm, running 98 oct fuel. The place for dyno is very reputible and so is the tuner.
Sounds like I need to try O2 sensor??! wouldn't have been my guess.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
How many Km's has the car done? Also when the piping was done to you know if there was an excessive amount of oil in the pipes?

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
car has done 110k, only a little of oil in pipes. Car has no fluid leaks on any seals either. The only clue I have is maybe the BOV it's a blitz - when I 1st upped the boost it was really loud - now it's quiet!

G

Unregistered
10 is very rich,
also air temp will affect results,

needs a good tune IMO

when where the plugs last done? and whats the gapping?

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
plugs are only 1 week old. gap is 1.1 - the car is not missing.

G

Unregistered
I have a series 1 5 speed with no mods and mine was 138kw atw, but thats stock apart from a rsr exmag exhaust. Don't know why yours so low but I plan on doing similar mods so I will keep you up to date after I fit them.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Can you post the graphs? Boost and AFR graphs might highlight some issues.

My first dyno when my car was completely stock except for iridium plugs got me 129kw but then the next one with the only mod being boost to 12psi got me 151kw so the dyno and dyno operator can make a big difference.

Best to get along to a dyno day with other VR-4s to get a comparison relative to other cars on the same day and the same dyno.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
hmm interesting i hope mine doesnt come up with a low figure, your making me nurvose.lol

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Cam, what gear did the tuner ran it on? might be the same to what happened to Lee in his first dyno tune..

gap your plugs to .8 like what everyone else recommends.. thats what i did to mine..

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I think also the true test of performance in these cars is the 0-400m run and 0-100km/h.
Like someone said earlier dynos can vary by up to 20kw and they are merely a tuning tool to find any flat spots in fuel or ignition.:) Don't lose heart... it'll come good!:D

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
An Iron Chef Imports sticker should help you unlock all those missing kWs - PM me for more details ;)

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Book in a Dyno run (just a run, not a tune) at another garage. Compare the figures. I bet the dyno machine at the workshop you were at is off by far. Those results are just way too low for the mods done.

Let us know how it goes.

G

Unregistered
dyno's are basically a tuning tool.. unless you use the same dyno as everyone else, you cant compare..

take it down the 1/4 mile, at least that doesnt lie. :)

Top Bottom