Vote for the AMEP

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Out of curiosity, how many people took the time to fill out that godawful senate ballot paper in full?

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
according to the ABC's election calculator AMEP gets over quota in Vic for the final seat. But bot sure how accurate.that is.

Leggy98

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jayden
Drive
1998 legnum vr4
AMEP got my vote. I didn't see any one out the front though.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Out of curiosity, how many people took the time to fill out that godawful senate ballot paper in full?
A lot less than in previous elections.
only 40 people did a below the line.

however a good 10% of votes were informal/donkey which is a lot more than before
... So many dicks....

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit

I did. I used belowtheline.org.au and sorted my preferences out, printed the sheet, and just copied it down in the booth. Still took 10 minutes to write them all!

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Amep got a senate seat in Victoria. All the results are being live updated on the ABC news site.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
They got my vote.
I'm sick of minorities like "The Pedestrian Council" (who do they represent, anyone who walks?) manically baying on about CRUSH THEIR CARS.
Without opposition, they'll have us all doing 30kms/hr to "reduce the road toll" whilst not addressing the real issue.
Teaching inattentive idiots to pilot a 1700kg rolling brick around with PROACTIVE safety.
Yes I'm talking to you, every dark-window-tinted, stick-family-stickered, texting-while-driving Mazda CX7 owner.
I see you in your mirrors every time I ride my bike.
There! Rant over! :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
"The Pedestrian Council" is simply one man - Harold Scruby I think his name is. He always pops up on the news when a pedestrian is killed by a car over here.

I agree with everything you said. They should also remove all school speed zones. I cannot stand them. We never had them when I was at school & it didn't cause any problems.

If your kids are dumb enough to run across the road in front of cars, then perhaps they need removing from the gene pool...

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I can't agree with the no school zones thing. There were no seatbelts or airbags when you were a kid either....

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I can't agree with the no school zones thing. There were no seatbelts or airbags when you were a kid either....

It's a miracle that he managed to survive without airbags, seat belts, and school zones :p

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
I tried to look up their policies, other than just car related stuff, on my phone as I voted - I couldn't find anything on their website??

So I didn't end up giving them the 1, but happy to hear they may end up with a bit of influence

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
They didn't have any policies as they were running for senate.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
Well school zones I must admit are a good thing, calming traffic with little tots around is not bad even if it would help thin the numbers... Lol :)
Seat belts and air bags are secondary safety. Primary safety is my rant.
How about the fact that I can't run a scoop due to the "risk of injury to pedestrians"
Yet Mum-trucks with their "high driving position" give a pedestrian, motorcyclist or anyone in a vehicle of unsimilar size much much less chance?
My biggest beef is these draconian laws that put the ability of an if so inclined, egotistical police officer to confescate my property that I have worked my ass off (& paid enormous taxes) to acquire based purely on their judgement.
Where is my day in court?
Without resistance these are the laws that will slowly and surely permeate our society.
Like "safety cameras".... hmmm?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yea I can't see how me having airbags, seatbelts etc in my car helps the pedestrian's safety...

& who's the worst offenders for breaking these school speed zone limits? Why the actual parents of course...

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Yea I can't see how me having airbags, seatbelts etc in my car helps the pedestrian's safety...

& who's the worst offenders for breaking these school speed zone limits? Why the actual parents of course...

I was pointing out the fact that just because something didn't exist when you were younger, and you still survived doesn't mean it shouldn't exist now.

Kids are unpredictable and dumber than adults, that's pretty much what makes them kids. School zones are in place so if a kid does run out onto the road you can stop in time.

They only exist from like 7 - 9am and 2 - 4pm, and they're only ever about 100m long, it's not really a big deal.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
School zones are in place so if a kid does run out onto the road you can stop in time.

They only exist from like 7 - 9am and 2 - 4pm, and they're only ever about 100m long, it's not really a big deal.

If people are not observing the limit, then if the kid runs out it makes no difference. The issue is that I seem to be the only one adhering to it, while everyone else goes past, mainly parents rushing to get their kids or taking them somewhere.
Plus, if it were ONE zone, perhaps not an issue, but when it's multiple zones during a trip & yes I do a lot of driving during those times, so it does become a big deal. Maybe not with a regular 9-5 job like yours possibly.
More so when it's major roads with 70 or 80km/h limits, that suddenly have to come down to 40 because some kid ran out without looking, or they are too lazy to build a pedestrian overpass. No, let's just drop the speed limit.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
If the issue is people not sticking to the speed then it seems the solution is more speed cameras around school zones then, right?

In SA school zones often have radars near 'em so people generally follow the rules around them here.

Itchy Scrot

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
Legnum & scrotary
They should also remove all school speed zones. I cannot stand them. We never had them when I was at school & it didn't cause any problems.

If your kids are dumb enough to run across the road in front of cars, then perhaps they need removing from the gene pool...
I whole heartedly disagree with this ignorant statement.
I work at a local R-12 school which is opposite some shops with a big-ish carpark. The number of dicks that leave with loss of traction and/or speed through the area is mind boggling, especially if there are 100 or so kids lined up for a bus. Couple that with little tackers that don't fully understand the consequences, get distracted before crossing... Or the (seemingly mandatory) bus rumbles by older kids... Plus the impatient parents that pull out from parks instantaniously...

Nah school zones need to stay. Maybe even enforced more. The potential for accidents are higher, and definately more fatal. Its easier to explain to a magistrate speeding, rather than manslaughter.

Ps- have you tried alternate routes? Ones that don't bypass schools as much?

But anyways, AMEP have done quite well, especially only forming (in SA at least) some weeks before the election. HOPEFULLY they will be a voice for the cautious majority of enthusiasts that do eveything correctly. And they open a decent sporting venue in SA! LaLa is about as fun as a carousel......

Top Bottom