Vote for the AMEP

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
This should have come out sooner, surely the media should have informed the public about the candidates...
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-kangaroo-poo-fight-video-20130909-2tf8j.html

He would have gotten so many more votes :D

I like that they don't say theres anything wrong, just that he should've taken the vids down sooner, like, I'm sure Abbot had all his Poo-Fight videos removed from youtube when he decided to run for PM

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
This is the worst, I'm already getting people at work assuming I support this bogan. Like car enthusiasts needed any more stigma...

mcs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1997 Galant VR-4
I was hoping that the party would chose people that would represent us with someone that may be taken seriously, he doesn't seem like someone that has a grasp of politics but hopefully am proved wrong..

G

Unregistered
Maybe being a bit judgmental but he seems like a fairly big deadshit/bogan.

Considering he appears to be from the type of crowd that caused car enthusiasts to get a bad name I doubt he will do anyone much good.

Guess that's what happens when you vote for a party purely because of their name.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Firstly, I don't know the guy and who knows what he is like, hopefully he'll shed the image we all seem to think he is portraying.

Secondly, a friend of mine argued 2 points:
1. It shows we will even vote for an idiot to get our point across, that's how much we care....
2. It doesn't matter if we are all seen in a certain light, it shows there is a backlash to the current way things are and that car enthusiasts vote.

Thirdly, unfortunately I think the media will portray it as a party that no one really voted for and got in on preferences....

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I whole heartedly disagree with this ignorant statement.

Ps- have you tried alternate routes? Ones that don't bypass schools as much?

Can't really see the ignorance in my statement, & yes I have tried numerous alternative routes, though seeing as my now current route involves 3 streets, the main route involving a school right next to work & 2 alternatives also going through school zones, the only other alternative is to slog it with the main thoroughfare of traffic in a circular route around the block.

The report from the Auditor General in NSW is worth a read. It's from 2010 but still relevant. I note this point;

"In the last decade two child pedestrian fatalities in school zones have been recorded. Another occurred where a school zone was subsequently installed. None of these fatalities was caused by speeding, and one was at least partly due to unsafe parking practices."

The formatting is mine. The streets along schools should be fenced, with an overpass built so they can cross the street safely without coming close to traffic. Reducing the speed is not the answer.

www.audit.nsw.gov.au/.../142/197_Improving_Road_Safety.pdf.aspx

Itchy Scrot

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
Legnum & scrotary
Oh look! The rest of the article! Link
Can't really see the ignorance in my statement
Oh, okay.
I was referring to the part where you said "children should be removed from the gene pool if they run onto a road" as being ignorant.
And now also the part claiming a pedrestian crossover walk with fence-hearding should be constructed at every school (I assume this includes EACH adjoining road, becuase, hey, its all fenced off now. So im my case, three roads...) as your route goes through throughfare, making you late/frustrating you.

Umm... not sure how that's going to fly champ, especially financially. Let me know how it goes.
Also, don't forget that there will always be rebel kids that jump a fence or sprint across the road coz its quicker (common sense literally doesn't exist in kids due to brain development). Only now the cars are going faster and aren't actively watching for kids....

But whatever, you win. :)

And back to our AMEP rep... yeah he looks like a bogan, but MAN! was he uncomfortable in that interview. I'm taking that as a sign he knows he's in deep and grows up pretty fast. Hoping doesn't poop (and fling it.. budumm chh) on the chance he has been given. Hoping might be a far stretch, but hey, if he represents me/us positively in parliment, I'll give him a chance..

PS- I heard that some (maybe lots!) of the funding they are getting is going into advisors. Good 1st step hahaha :lol:

PPS- Maybe a mod should re-title this thread "Why did AMEP get voted: the <facepalm> extraordinaire" :p

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
If I might chime in on this debate for a second. I see the place school zones have, and I agree that they are needed in some circumstances - kids are kids after all. There are, however, other places where I believe that they aren't required.

For example, on major arterial roads. There's a major road near me called Warringah Road, which is 6 lanes and 70kph. There happens to be a school along it and cars passing by are forced to slow down to 40kph during peak hour, not exactly the best for congestion. To make it worse, there's no entrance to the school from the main road, the side facing the road is completely fenced off AND it's a high school.

I'm all for school zones in residential areas and for primary schools where the kids are more likely to run out on to the road. However, they should reconsider school zones for high schools which are adjacent to major roads or schools who don't have an entrance/are fenced off from the major road. (How stupid do you have to be to run out onto something like the Pacific Highway?)

If anything, there should be more emphasis on educating kids that getting hit by cars = lots of pain.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Oh, okay.
I was referring to the part where you said "children should be removed from the gene pool if they run onto a road" as being ignorant.

What part of that is ignorance? Indifference maybe - to the possibility of a few dead children (I'm sure he does actually care though, he is more venting his frustration at how much of a nanny state we have become).

I share that frustration. Sometimes there are more sensible ways of protecting pedestrians than simply making the cars go slower, it is when these cases come up (where it is obvious that a lowered speed limit would have an exceptional impact on traffic flow, and there are alternatives that are ignored - overpass, fences for a while either side of a pedestrian crossing etc) that I get annoyed. The biggest issue that I take with it is that through things like school zones (which are mostly for the better), the government then can extrapolate that speed kills and drop the speed limits on safe open roads where there will never be any pedestrians - and nobody complains because they feel that if they do they will be accused of not caring if they kill children.

I am more than happy to slow down for school zones if need be, it's the blanket war on speed that I have a problem with. Realistically, driving at 100 in most current 80 zones (and 130 on the highway) is about as difficult as it is to avoid electrocuting yourself. The national electricity network has not dropped its voltage to something safer, yet the speed limits keep dropping - it doesn't make sense (until you realize that there is only money to be lost by dropping electricity voltage and only money to be gained by lowering speed limits).

Obviously governments must err on the side of caution when it comes to matters of life and death, particularly ones that get disproportionately large coverage in the media (how many smoking related lung cancer deaths do you see vs road fatalities, they certainly don't emphasize the yearly totals for lung cancer deaths every other week). On that point, how is it legal to buy cigarettes (which can kill you) but not to drive at a reasonable speed on the highway? In both cases your personal safety and that of others is in your hands, yet you are allowed to choose to smoke but not to choose to drive faster. It must be a mere coincidence that both laws have fallen in the direction that nets the most money... Maybe I'm just cynical and they really are trying their best to keep us safe :)

Back to Brad, I am sure that he is just venting his frustration - which must build up if he spends a great portion of his employment driving - rather than suggesting that it would actually be OK to hit a few kids from time to time. I took what he said, as I do anything similar from Jeremy Clarkson, as a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor to get his point across (Which evidently runs a risk of offending people).

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Ben made the best point: Education. It's also the reason why I felt safer driving at 220km/h in Germany than I do driving 110km/h here. The driver education is to a much higher standard than here.
So building fences along the nature strip & pedestrian overpasses is too expensive, so let's just throw up some speed cameras & have police patrolling it instead?
Most of the offenders are kids old enough to know better. They see you coming, but still will walk out in front of you to get across the road. Walking to the zebra crossing is just too hard for them. Yet if one gets hit.... oh no! Again I reiterate that it's mostly the parents of those very kids themselves breaking the speed limits.
Yes it is extremely frustrating if anyone hadn't caught on yet. To make it worse, the DSG in my 1.6L TDI Caddy does NOT like doing 40km/h either.

I'd gladly pay an extra tax to build overpasses etc if it meant getting them off the road, easing traffic congestion, & putting the speed limits back to normal.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
this is nuts.... We have really well behaved and pretty much sensible as you get kids. They won't go in a workshop without an adult, they don't pick up tools, they won't go under a ladder or hoist etc. sensible. One of our kids is 6. And she is sensible as noted above. And when she is walking along, even she sensible as she is, potentially could have a tantrum and storm off, possibly in the 3 second window where we one time werent watching her. Potentially across a road. Near schools is more likely where kids are, they run across roads to waiting parents without looking as they're excited to show something off they've done etc etc.

And yes, I grew up walking to school on my own younger than that, and there were no school zones then, so what, just because I survived does not mean we can't improve road safety.

Years ago I did an advanced driving course, one of the things they taught there was how fast you can stop at 40. Basically they said that 40 is the speed you can go through any intersection and stop in time in a normal car before hitting that guy who went through the stop sign etc. at 50, you can hit them. 40 seems like a good speed to avoid hitting that kid who is short that you don't see behind the parked car/bus when they run across the road to tell dad waiting on the other side of the road that they won the billy cart race in their vr4 replica cart that day....

That said, i also agree more overpasses and fences should be put up, especially on roads like ben mentioned. And there are done school zones I've been through that are miles from any school so I think they could be reviewed as well. Seriously, have you calculated how much time you lose in a40 zone? if I have my maths right, a 40 zone in normally an 80 zone for 1.6km long (ie the worst case I can think of) costs you a whopping 36secs. Deal with it.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Oh and your caddy won't drive at 40? Maybe it's setup to get along in Germany you mentioned where there are 30 zones in heaps of residential areas.... Funny given that they have all these educated drivers and still have their limits where people are about hey....

I agree or limits are too low a lot of the time, especially open roads and we also seem to be enforcing limits in nsw based on where the most revenue can be raised rather than where danger occurs. I'm also not going to say I've never sped, I have the demerit points to prove it, but 40 is a good idea around schools.

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
Oh and your caddy won't drive at 40? Maybe it's setup to get along in Germany you mentioned where there are 30 zones in heaps of residential areas.... Funny given that they have all these educated drivers and still have their limits where people are about hey....

I agree or limits are too low a lot of the time, especially open roads and we also seem to be enforcing limits in nsw based on where the most revenue can be raised rather than where danger occurs. I'm also not going to say I've never sped, I have the demerit points to prove it, but 40 is a good idea around schools.

I have to agree with Steve. Your mention of Germany is ironic because all major roads in built up areas (this means anything where more than a single house resides .... even country sides..) have a lower speed limits than here. School zones are 30 over there and run for the entire duration of school time not just pick up and drop off. Not to mention all the hidden speed cameras and camouflaged mobile cameras, far better roads, newer cars and stricter maintenance rules.

Top Bottom