VR4-Friendly Workshop Discussion

G

Unregistered
Neal has been sensational with me thus far. Really laid back, loves a good chat about the cars and gave me a great price on the service. Will be going back soon to get my tranny service, tranny cooler and some performance stuff done.

Note that they were happy to supply and fit, or just fit. Not bad, eh.

Leigh

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Where is Neal Lowe located? Slacks Creek way?
I am looking at getting my timing belt done early next year and will be ebaying the stuff after Xmas, anyone else done this?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Where is Neal Lowe located? Slacks Creek way?
I am looking at getting my timing belt done early next year and will be ebaying the stuff after Xmas, anyone else done this?

Neal Lowe Motorsports Pty Ltd
21 Brennan St
Slacks Creek, 4127
Brisbane
tel/fax: (07) 3808 3048
mob: 0419 727 623

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Hey gball,

Ah ok then. Well my Legnum's up for a service so I might be giving them a try before you get your car..... if I do so I'll let you know how I go with them..

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Hey gball,

Ah ok then. Well my Legnum's up for a service so I might be giving them a try before you get your car..... if I do so I'll let you know how I go with them..

That would be great. I was going to get them to do a auto trans service, change the timming belt and generally check the car over

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Hey gball & everyone else.

Got the Legnum serviced yesterday at MRT in Rhodes NSW.

Did an oil flush & change the filter. Filled it up with Motul 8100 Excess 5w40.
Flushed the ATF & filled up with Mitusbishi SPIII.

The car is driving MUCH better at the moment but time will tell. There is a tiny oil leak from one of the gaskets or something I think which is then being burned off causing a smell which is quite noticeable when you get out of the car. The guy there (Chris Milne) said it's nothing to worry about for at least 3-6 months by which it's due for a next service.

He said mechanically the car is good not much to worry about but next service I might get a trans cooler fitted along with changing the alternator & timing belt for good luck. I want this thing running like clockwork ! Then once I'm happy with how it's running I can look towards the performance mods ;-)
I did mention to them that we're looking for a Legnum-friendly workshop :)

Here's their details ;

MRT Performance:
1 Averill Street (Cnr Concord Road)
Rhodes, NSW. 2138.
Ph: (02) 9767-4545.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Hey guys ! Have taken my car to Neal Lowe to get an AYC fluids change so will give you a pricing rundown tomorrow after pickup

G

Unregistered
Hey gball & everyone else.

Got the Legnum serviced yesterday at MRT in Rhodes NSW.

Did an oil flush & change the filter. Filled it up with Motul 8100 Excess 5w40.
Flushed the ATF & filled up with Mitusbishi SPIII.

MRT Performance:
1 Averill Street (Cnr Concord Road)
Rhodes, NSW. 2138.
Ph: (02) 9767-4545.

How much did that service cost?
They are about 40min drive from where I am.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Hey guys!
Well had my AYC done...was about $250 all up...Flush etc
Now they said to clean the Carby out with cleaner....gonna sound like a dummy but where is that located?? do we even have one?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Sorry guys, the reason I ask is that I am having some ideling issues and was told to get some cleaner and clean it out.........but I dont know about it

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Yes you do sound like a dummy ;) Our cars are fuel injectors so have injectors instead of a carburetor. Did they mean a "carbon clean" by using some injector cleaner?

You can buy that at super cheap/autobarn etc and you add it to a full tank of gas.

Not sure about the best brand or if they even work but maybe someone else can recommend something (this is getting a bit off topic - maybe start a thread regarding injector cleaners).

cheers

Lee

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
ok ...ok ...off topic...must have miss heard the guy...must have been the throttle body or something

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Hey ET,

All up it cost me $200. Though I supplied the oil & ATF.
Oil I used was Motul Excess 8100 5w40 & the ATF was genuine Mitsubishi SPIII

Delbut

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Drew
Drive
Trigger Mauve VR4 Legnum
Hi all,

Just bought the purple 2002 VR4 as advertised here a while ago (sorry first post, therefore not to sure how to put the link in!?!?!?!?) from Kristian at Iron Chef. It is currently on its way and is due to land on 6th Jan. Then its going to Shogun for the compliancing.

I'm reading with interest on the recommended workshops to work on our cars in SE Qld and Neal Lowe at Slack Creek seems to be in front so far? Has anybody used Bob Romano on Lytton Road. I've never used him, nor do i know anybody but always has a nice range of cars sitting outside and witnessed a few dyno runs on the weekends too. Also, has anybody used 999 Automotive at Coopers Plains? Again, i've never used them either.

And, (sorry everybody, all these questions from the new boy) Anybody used a good auto electrician for music and alarm installs? This guy, Chris Rogers gets a good right up in the Skyline Australia forum and is always up for the challenge of non-standard installs etc www.audioexpress.com.au

Thanks everybody

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Mine's booked in at Meek for the 3rd Jan. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

G

Unregistered
Meek? Where are they located and what are you getting done?

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
He would of meant a carbon clean...done mine yesterday, runs much smoother and idles smooth as , and a bit better on feul...will give a run down in how to....

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Hi all,

Just bought the purple 2002 VR4 as advertised here a while ago (sorry first post, therefore not to sure how to put the link in!?!?!?!?) from Kristian at Iron Chef. It is currently on its way and is due to land on 6th Jan. Then its going to Shogun for the compliancing.

I'm reading with interest on the recommended workshops to work on our cars in SE Qld and Neal Lowe at Slack Creek seems to be in front so far? Has anybody used Bob Romano on Lytton Road. I've never used him, nor do i know anybody but always has a nice range of cars sitting outside and witnessed a few dyno runs on the weekends too. Also, has anybody used 999 Automotive at Coopers Plains? Again, i've never used them either.

And, (sorry everybody, all these questions from the new boy) Anybody used a good auto electrician for music and alarm installs? This guy, Chris Rogers gets a good right up in the Skyline Australia forum and is always up for the challenge of non-standard installs etc www.audioexpress.com.au

Thanks everybody

Hi Drew, Congrats on getting the purple beast, you have picked up the best combo ever! (check out my car :) he he he)

You should make a readers rides thread about your car when you get a second.

The QLD boys should be able to help you out with the workshops and you should ask Leigh aka 'VR4_Psych' about your audio questions as he has the stereo bug and is up your way (he also has the exact same car as yours but a Galant)

Hope this helps :D

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
My Galant should be arriving in Feb. Any suggestions for a mechanic more towards the bayside suburbs of Brissy. I live at wynnum

Top Bottom