VR4 Legnum non-turbo equivalent ??

Bundy Bandito

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jasyn
Drive
R33 GTS-T & Daewoo Lanos
G'day,
I joined up to OZVR4 a little while ago to research up on the Legnum's coz i was looking to sell my R33 GTS-T & snap up a VR4 Legnum/wagon at a happy price.
The missus is up the duff so the turbo option went out the window when we found out.
I've been scouring the internets & the googles for a little while trying to find an equivalent to a non-turbo VR4 Legnum/Wagon. I love the look of the '97-02 models, but don't want the higher running costs associated with owning another turbo... :banghead:
There's nothing coming up in car-sales or general google searches for "non-turbo Legnum", so i was hoping one or some of you kind gentlemans & ladies could point me in the right direction to help me find what i'm looking for.

Cheers.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I'm not sure if they're available to import to here? Not sure if places do compliance for them.. I dunno, that's just what I think..

The others may be able to say otherwise, or I might be right? lol

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I'll have one sex without an orgasm please....

Sorry to hear you can't own another turbo mate :(

As Lee said, can't be complied under SEVS. You may need to look at a Subie if you want the same sort of stuff :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yep, the power-to-weight ratio is not high enough to classify for SEVS importation.

I bought my car from Toycar in Granville, Sydney, NSW, & he had a non-turbo in the country. I pinched the rims from that.

I remember there was one (ST-R) for sale on www.carsales.com.au up in QLD that had been brought over by someone from NZ.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
the cost of running these isnt that bad, mine uses less fuel than a mates ford stationwagon yet it still has the joy factory, what makes you think you need a non turbo ?

if you look after it they are fairly solid cars, mine is a daily i have done 20,000 in the year and still no problems other then normal wear and tear like cv's etc

i know there are some horror stories on here as well but if you get a stock car and look after it the costs arent that high

unless you are thinking about a smaller 4 cyl i still say go the legnum vr4, creat for family and some fun as well

G

Unregistered
Just get a bog stock one and dont mod it at all, the fuel will be alright then.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
What about a n/a Stagea?
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=14427

1.jpg

I'm sure you would find this to be more than equal to a non-turbo VR4. :)

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
lol don't me started on that debacle...

My Dad owns a Legnum and a Verada, and the Legnum is getting better fuel economy than the Verada is - worth pondering.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
What about Subaru Liberty's?

Bundy Bandito

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jasyn
Drive
R33 GTS-T & Daewoo Lanos
Ok, so N/A legnum looks like a dead-end...
I've been looking into the Magna Sports & Scooby wagons, not really my 'cup-o-tea'. But it looks like i might have to seriously look at compromising/settling on something like one of them. I’m not keen at all on the commodore/falcon option, the Jap stuff (mitsi in particular) has so many more things going for them.
I'm not keen on continuing to fork out almost $1500 for insurance every year, for something i get approx 400k's out of a tank in when driving sedately, with the odd traffic-light grand-prix.
I've been trawling various forums looking at heaps of different economy figures from thrashers to granny-style drivers, and it looks like my 33 and the Legnum are pretty on par with each other in both departments. The price per litre of fuel doesn't bother me, its how often i'm paying for it that does..
I have a kid due in a few months to buy all the baby stuff for, so i need to take cheaper overheads & a couple of sacrifices into consideration. Yet still finding a median with a look, practicality, & ‘some’ performance I’m content with - without going the Commodore/Falcon/Volvo option.
If the VR4 Leggy could crack approx 500km’s to a tank, and have a sub 1k insurance figure, I’d be handing over the cash for one straight away..
That Stagea looks a bit of alright, but 41k is just over double my price range lol, nice dream though lol.

Thanks heaps for all the info shared everyone – highly appreciated. I’m starting to find out where my options are being limited to now.

Bundy Bandito

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jasyn
Drive
R33 GTS-T & Daewoo Lanos
What about Subaru Liberty's?

They're next in the cue before the Magna Sports Wagon.. I was just really hopeful on a N/A Legnum after driving a few of the VR4 ones.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Jasyn, how old are you? I'm *coughcough38* and my insurance (with Shannons) is $900 a year. And I can pull low 10's in litres/100km which equates to 450-500 km per tank. That's with pretty sedate driving though.

Bundy Bandito

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jasyn
Drive
R33 GTS-T & Daewoo Lanos
32yo... so my outlay would most likely be close to yours. I got an online quote from Just Cars, it was a couple of hundred more than that.
I have seen a couple of *rare* members in some forums quoting economy like that, but they all emphasise on the "very sedate', 'tacho is never vertical', 'constant coasting', 'alot of low rpm highway use'.. Seems like they're roughly the same as the 33 in traffic, but more acceptable out on the highway.
I work in a servo so i've been able to speak to a few owners about their economy, from under 25yo loud-mouths to quiet asians - its always the same answer, just under or just over 400km's to a tank.. Always with a slight hesitant pause before they tell me haha
The last guy i spoke to came in with the wife & 3 kids - even he quoted around 400-420 without a lead-foot & a sigh of regret.
I toy'd with the idea of getting an aftermarket computer, and having it tuned for max efficiency. But in reality its just a waste of money purely to gain maybe another litre or two per 100km's. I think i might start test driving a few more Liberty's & go from there.
A pity, i was hoping the car was the only place i didn't have to sacrifice too badly - shit happens i spose lol.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Now that sucks. My wife and I were planning another child so that is why we got our leggy! More room than the lancer wagon. The leggy is also the reason we won't be having anymore children as my wife isn't keen on driving a van around full of kids, she loves the leggy. Comprimises! I love mine.

Top Bottom