VR4 Legnum non-turbo equivalent ??

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i get 500kms where i live. roundabouts instead of traffic lights seems to be good for something,because it sure as hell aint good for your tyres

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
The newest AWD 3-5 Magna sportswagons look pretty nice with the updated front lip and they'd go reasonably hard. Also dirt cheap to buy and insure and I'm sure that car would obtain better economy than a Leggy even with some hard driving. Magna's are quite well built as far as I have experienced and will last as long as they have been well looked after. And it's pretty damn close to a N/A Leggy.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
The newest AWD 3-5 Magna sportswagons look pretty nice with the updated front lip and they'd go reasonably hard. Also dirt cheap to buy and insure and I'm sure that car would obtain better economy than a Leggy even with some hard driving. Magna's are quite well built as far as I have experienced and will last as long as they have been well looked after. And it's pretty damn close to a N/A Leggy.

There were never AWD Magna wagons ? They couldn't get the AWD equipment to fit underneath the wagons. Makes me wonder how they got it to fit under the sedans then. From Wikipedia ;

"
By 2002, after a TJ Series II model, featuring only minor equipment upgrades and side impact bars as on export models, Mitsubishi introduced a range of all-wheel drive (AWD) Magna and Verada models. It was the first Australian-produced sedan to feature AWD, and used a system dubbed "Quadtec" to further show Mitsubishi's rally heritage. The AWD model was a $7 m spin-off of the existing TJ Magna range, beating the Ford Territory and the Holden Adventra to the marketplace to claim the title of the first mass-built Australian all wheel drive car. The AWD system proved to be mechanically reliable and improved handling over the front wheel drive only version, however it failed to provide any noticeable boost for sales.
The AWD and Verada shared the 154 kW (207 hp)/310 N·m (229 lb·ft) engine, while the Sports had a 159 kW (213 hp)/318 N·m (235 lb·ft) version with a free-flowing exhaust. Those power and torque outputs were down slightly on the 2WD Magna’s due to the space restrictions placed on the free flowing exhaust with the extra driveline equipment required for the AWD system. The AWD range required a revised firewall to acoomodate the new hardware. Due to budget and development constraints, the TL Magna VR-X AWD was also limited to 16in instead of the front wheel drive's 17in wheels.
Original sales projections were for 300 sales per month, but sales figures by August 2003 showed about 150 AWD Magnas were being sold each month. The AWD was available in both the Magna and Verada range in sedan form only and only with an automatic transmission, however it came with the 5-speed automatic with Tiptronic in all models. Due to budget constraints, Magna VR-X AWD featured only 16in wheels instead of the standard 17in on front wheel drive models. The AWD model was first introduced towards the end of the TJ model life, late in 2002. Fleets and rental agencies bought all initial production of the AWD model, and private sales of the TJ AWD model began in 2003.
In TL guise (see below for further details) - where the Sports model were newly badged as VR - apart from the driving and handling characteristics, there was minimal badging to differentiate the AWD cars from the 2WD models. They were significantly heavier than the 2WD cars, up to 140 kg (310 lb) depending on model and equipment levels. Official fuel consumption figures suggested they used marginally more fuel than the 2WD cars. In TL VR guise, the AWD model was used by the New South Wales police force, particularly in the Sydney region. In terms of motoring competitions, the TL Magna was entered in the Australian Cup class of the Australian Rally Championship, winning that Cup on debut in 2004.
Production of AWD models ceased in 2005, when it was discontinued with the launch of the new sedan-only Mitsubishi 380."

Believe me, if there were, I would've bought one instead of a twin turbo Leggy.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I don't beleive there were awd magna wagons either. I've just been through 5 late model magna brochures and none has awd wagons.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
as i said before the ford commodore is going to use as much fuel anyway unless you are going near new, my insurance was only $750 this year after my first year of owning it dont rule it out talk with shannons, just cars are one of the dearest you can get, have you made allot of claims ?

Bundy Bandito

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jasyn
Drive
R33 GTS-T & Daewoo Lanos
as i said before the ford commodore is going to use as much fuel anyway unless you are going near new, my insurance was only $750 this year after my first year of owning it dont rule it out talk with shannons, just cars are one of the dearest you can get, have you made allot of claims ?

No claims at all in 15yrs since i got my license, had maybe half a dozen speeding fines max in that time. And i have no interest in the falcon/commodore path whatsoever.
Cheers.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Just for comparison's sake, our family bus is a RWD Ford Territory, and we get around 15.8 litres per hundred around the city...

Some tanks are bigger than others don't forget - it's the fuel economy that matters, not the distance travelled, unless you happen to live in Alice Springs...

Skurfer

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
EZTONV
I know you dont want to go the commodore route, but if you are worrying about fuel economy and insurance, and need that extra money for a new child on the way, then it is still worth looking at a BA falcon wagon on gas.

A mate of mine was in the same boat as you and did have a look at VR4s and stuff like that, but in the end, the falcon was newer and cheaper than a VR4, much much cheaper in insurance, looked alright when we put a set of rims on it, goes alright, really comfy inside and plenty of room in it for the kid and all the stuff that comes along with them. And you fill the tank for $25 and go about 400-500km on that. I mean you are not going to be fanging the thing with your kid in it anyways, so it is a bit of a sensibe option and saves a whole lot of money.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I don't beleive there were awd magna wagons either. I've just been through 5 late model magna brochures and none has awd wagons.

Yeah sorry about that. I'd seen the Magna AWD sedans so assumed the wagon models would be AWD as well. :p

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yeah sorry about that. I'd seen the Magna AWD sedans so assumed the wagon models would be AWD as well. :p

Yea trust me, I searched high & low trying to fine one, as I assumed the same. That WAS the car I was hoping to buy, but alas they couldn't fit the AWD system to the wagons, so here I am driving a Legnum now instead.

Top Bottom