VR4 on P Plates

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Just in case anyone is interested. I Have been looking into whether or not my girl can drive my car while on her P's at all (Was thinking maybe by displaying L's or something) and have discovered the following.

http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/i...ed_vehicle_restrictions_that_apply_if_yo.html

Permission to Drive Lower-Performance Turbocharged or Supercharged Cars
Drivers who obtained their probationary licence on or after 1 July 2007 can drive some lower-performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles. These vehicles generally have improved safety features and greater fuel-efficiency and can be driven by probationary drivers.

Probationary drivers may apply to drive vehicles with 6 cylinders or less that are:

• turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne;
  • turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio between 100kW and 125kW per tonne and that are considered to be a family type vehicle (4 seats or more) rather than a sports type vehicle.

A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and is equipped with child restraint anchorages and does not include sports cars eg a two door coupe.

Vehicles with eight cylinders or more, family type-type vehicles with more than 125KW per tonne or other vehicles with more than 100KW per tonne will NOT be granted under this scheme.
According to the figures Bradc got me for the S1 Legnum 191Kw 1570Kg
=121.65 Kw/tonne

Will fill out the application and let you know how we go.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
S1 Auto im assuming? any S1 manual or S2 would be out, as they are closer to 131kw/tonne

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
^ what he said - S1 auto Legnum only!

But the police could get you and then you would have to go to court to prove your point as usualy they dont care and love to write the fines - It has happened to me before.
PS i have never been pulled over while on a 180sx it would happen at least once a fortnight.

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
You have to apply for the specific car you want to drive so i would assume it would come up when they check your license on their car pc. and Yeah S1 Auto's only.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Wow, now we'll be getting an influx of 17 year olds who are about to get their licences.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
That's an interesting way to try to get around the restrictions.

I always thought that that the exemptions were designed to allow "safe" and relatively low powered turbo and supercharged cars to be driven (think 1.4 litre Golf turbo), not a twin turbo V6!

Having said that, a P plater could do worse than starting out in an AWD. Amazing that they're allowed to jump into widow makers like a Lotus or Honda S2000 ...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
lol... series 1 auto's may increase in value - however the fact its an auto will stop most 17yr olds ;)

Top Bottom