want to upgrade your alternator from 100 to 160 Amps?

G

Unregistered
For anyone that running excessive audio equipment (two 500 watt rms amps..etc) or that has relocated the battery to the trunk (like myself) may want to look into getting a high output Alternator. Reason, those amps drain power faster then a stock alternator can recharge it. Now if the battery is in the trunk that power has to run the length of the car to get back to the battery.

I am sure there are many other applications where this would warrant having a stronger alternator but those are just two examples.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HIGH...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
This place
here in the states offers this service, but I am sure you can get it done anywhere.

Hello Bernard,

From what we can see you have one of these

LANCIA DEDRA 1.8L 16V 1996-99
MITSUBISHI GALANT 2.5L V6 1996-03

It Looks very similar and the plugs have the same function but some measurements are different

a8_1.jpg
< img>

Yours: EBAY:

A=33.5MM A=38MM
B=13MM B=13.1MM
C=55MM C=66.5MM

The pulleys are both 4-groove and measurement A is from the bolt on to the 1st groove. That does not look like it would line up with your belt. And C could also prevent a direct bolt on. All USA Lancers have the same mounting but different pulleys.

If you are here in the US, you can send us the alternator to engineer for High Output. You have the 100 Amp stock and we can build it to 160 Amp, for $228. It will have a 1 year warranty, and it will take 2-3 days production time (turn-around) once we receive it.

Let us know if we can assist you more.

Thank You,
Christian

G

Unregistered
Oh yea, they replace the 4 pin connector as well..

G

Unregistered
im running 1400 wrms system. ive been thinking about this idea but dunno about sending the alt to the states? seems a alot of work.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Someone could probably do it in Aussie as well. Good idea though, will also charge the battery quicker for short stop-start driving

G

Unregistered
im running 1400 wrms system. ive been thinking about this idea but dunno about sending the alt to the states? seems a alot of work.

No no by no means am I saying to send your alternator stateside, ship when only necessary!!

Call around someone has got to offer this service. If you cant find anyone, you learn it then cash in ;)

G

Unregistered
Update:
My alternator has been received and is being reworked as I post this.

G

Unregistered
The 160amp alternator has been installed. I've tested it out by letting it charge a drained Optima Red top battery and it gave it enough charge to sustain another vehicle in under and hour 55mile drive..

For anyone with a relocated Battery, its a win win situation.

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
'98 VFR 800 / '92 Ford Laser Turbo / '10 Kia Cerato S
Is there any reason in particular you wouldn't do this on a car with the battery in the engine bay?

I have an Alpine 700w monoblock and a JVC 4 x 60w (I'm guessing not RMS) should the standard alternator cope with that? I've got it all in a Magna ATM but will be transferring it over to the Legnum once the damn boat gets here and don't want to kill my battery :)

-Dave-

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
not sure if my alternator is dodgy or just the way they are but i dont have any fancy equipment just a standard Clarion Bluetooth deck using factory output no amps to some decent sony speakers, if i turn it up while car is idleing the stereo audio stops and starts and lights dim etc, never had a problem while driving thou.

im guesing this sort of upgrade would help while at idle as well.

did you find someone local Bernard or did you send yours over to US ?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Wes, Bernard is based in Washington DC, we need to find a Australian refurbisher for ours....

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
HAHA oops thanks Kat for clearing that up :)

i thought i saw WA must have glanced at someone elses :-(

my bad

G

Unregistered
There are many reason's that make a stronger alternator feasible, in my case the relocated battery to the trunk. Dave for your audio equipment it would DEFINATELY help, I hope you are running 0 gauge leads to a power distribution block in the trunk then 4 gauge to each amp. If you are not then ya just might want to ;) In your case having a stronger alternator will mean it will have to work less, at idle the charging system wont be strained. I wish I knew about this years ago when I was into car audio :(

nabassu

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Maciek
Drive
VR-4 TypeS
let me just add, that getting to the alternator is pure hell :D (from the top side at least)

G

Unregistered
LOL, I agree totally. I spent 1.5 hours trying to manuever it passed the intake plenum removing it the first time. everytime after took all of 35 just by loosening the bolts on the intake lol..

nabassu

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Maciek
Drive
VR-4 TypeS
my friend started work sometime after 20:00, then go to sleep, and when i arrived at 8 o'clock, it was aut :)

Top Bottom