WARNING FULL CUSTOM EXHAUST'S MAKE SURE WHEN CHANGING PUT HEAT SHEILDS BACK ON CAUSED $2,250 DAMAGE!

G

Unregistered
WARNING!FULL CUSTOM EXHAUST'S MAKE SURE WHEN CHANGING PUT HEAT SHIELDS BACK ON SOME HOW.

CAUSED:eek: :banghead:
:mad: $2,250 DAMAGE TO MY 2000 SERIES 2 ALTERNATOR COST FROM

MITSUBISHI $1,550 FROM JAPAN + $700 LABOUR NEARLY ENGINE OUT JOB TO BACK TO STANDARD.

DUMP PIPE.jpg
IMG_1463.jpg
IMG_1464.jpg

VR-4-PLAY

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dave
Drive
'02 Legnum Type V
this is a lesson learnt by many with the 4G63 (VR4, EVO 1-3), lots of failed alternators on cars with custom 3" exhausts.

If the heat shield cant be put back on, another solution is to have the dump pipe ceramic coated to keep the heat in. Plus a bit of heat wrap wouldnt hurt either.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Expensive lesson to learn Damo, sorry to hear.

I always re-use the factory heat shields where ever i can, if not, i make something to fit ALWAYS.
If i can't do that, at the very least i ceramic coat it.

The dump pipes ,i've had made will go on the factory position.

G

Unregistered
Whoa dude, that totally blows !

Sorry to hear that, but thanks heaps for the heads up !

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
What actually happened? I don't know what I'm looking for in the pics?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Thanks for the heads up, but I have to ask - surely you could've got your alternator rewound/rebuilt for far less than $1500... about $300-400?

When Joels alternator died I'm fairly certain the whole job cost $700 including the alternator... or was there more to it in your case? Fried wiring loom too?

G

Unregistered
i was thinking the same lee...

$700 in labour is a bit rich too, i swapped my alternator over in less than 2 hours.

G

Unregistered
Reco

the price to reco with mitsubishi parts $850.00 because they dont make anything for this car in this country.

and exhaust studs were broken. when the rear turbo was taken off to get the alternator out.

in just explaining don't leave them off. put them back on

G

Unregistered
my local auto electrician rebuild mine for $250...

G

Unregistered
me to

mine said that said it could last a day , week, month , year to reco it.

+ the hole this was f++ked it needed all new parts because they were all melted and deformed plastic from the heat.

and i us oem mitsubishi parts because they last and never brake like cheap chinese rubbish

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The first pic shows the aftermarket pipe with no heat sheilding on it very clsoe to the alternator. The second picture shows the heat sheilding on over the same pipe.

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
Do you guys rekon that Heat Wrap would have made a significant difference?

I am planning on getting custom dumps made from S/S , this has changed my mind though.

I think Heatwrap should do the same job (Hopefully) Other wise i may have to make the stock heat shield work again somehow.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Aaahhh...I was thinking you were talking about the heat shielding on the front pipes under the car and was wondering how the hell that could bother the alternator :ROFLMAO:

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Do you guys rekon that Heat Wrap would have made a significant difference?

I am planning on getting custom dumps made from S/S , this has changed my mind though.

I think Heatwrap should do the same job (Hopefully) Other wise i may have to make the stock heat shield work again somehow.

in my opinion yes it does.. but doesn't allow heat to dissipate outside the wrap.. which in the long run will probably crack up your pipes or the welds.. im pretty sure alot of people will have different opinion on this but like i said.. it's my opinion..

and what i think a good combination is..

ceramic coating + double walled heat shield :) (about 5mm apart and one with vent holes or slits) a bit thick but it should do the job well.. right?!

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
how the hell does an alternator cost 1500, my delica needed a new one and i got it for $400 to my door for reco one and $800 for a brand new one. to my door.

sounds really expensive think you may have been taken for a ride.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If bought through Mitsubishi Australia they quoted me $1426.70 last year, so I'm not at all surprised. Even from Mitsubishi Japan it would be $1,112 given the current exchange rate, add shipping on to that and it gets quite expensive.

Sorry to hear Damo. Good lesson for the rest of us, though.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Thanks for the heads-up mate... an expensive way to go about it, but this is the big things we need to know.

Top Bottom