What car would you buy for $100,000?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Well the 2006 Rs4 will arrive mid next week. I only hope that with a new clutch I can give it a small run for it's money :)

I'll throw up some pics once he gets it.

What I don't get is comp. insurance with both me (27) and my bro (28) on the policy is under $1000. I pay $1600 on the VR4. It's insane.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Damn he got an RS4, awesome! PICS and get him to bring it to a meet some time =]

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Because you can never have enough power huh ;)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
When production cars start braking the sound barrier, thats when we have enough power :)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Honestly, compared to my legnum I wasn't super impressed. With S-mode on and traction control off it still hardly broke tracion from a fairly spirited clutch dump.
It's probably because the power is so smooth or something. You definitely get fast quickly and it feels like it's doing 50 at 100. But lacking the punch of boost it feels a little bland. (Don't tell dad).

IMG_0187.JPG

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Honestly, compared to my legnum I wasn't super impressed. With S-mode on and traction control off it still hardly broke tracion from a fairly spirited clutch dump.
It's probably because the power is so smooth or something. You definitely get fast quickly and it feels like it's doing 50 at 100. But lacking the punch of boost it feels a little bland. (Don't tell dad).

Yeah but does the legnum have an "N-BLOOE(y)" numberplate? That wins for sure. :D

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Looks phat as, love RS4's

But to continue down the VR4 comparison:
RS4 is ~309kW/1700kg so 5.5KG/kW, the Leggie is 7.3KG/kW @ 206/1510 so to match it a leggie would need 274kW.
So std on a dyno is about 155kW = 0.75 the engine rating. Sooo 274kW engine is ~206 at the wheels (weird i know).
So a leggie with 206kw at the wheels is standard RS4 quick.

But with more boost punch!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
omfg that is so total pr0n I want one!!!

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
$100K? hmmm thats a tuffy. means most 'supercars' are out. the aussie in me would love to say a walkinshaw performance maxed out VE SS M6, should come in just under $100K once you add nearly the cost of the car again in mods. with around 550hp-600hp (6.0L V8 PD supercharged) and a new car warranty its a prety formidable aussie car.

but the other side of me would be a Evo X then modded, or RS4 avant.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
But to continue down the VR4 comparison:
RS4 is ~309kW/1700kg so 5.5KG/kW, the Leggie is 7.3KG/kW @ 206/1510 so to match it a leggie would need 274kW.
So std on a dyno is about 155kW = 0.75 the engine rating. Sooo 274kW engine is ~206 at the wheels (weird i know).
So a leggie with 206kw at the wheels is standard RS4 quick.

Don't forget about torque and the area under the curve.

High revving NA motors usually don't make their torque peak until quite high up the rev range. Also, a well tuned turbo car should have more torque everywhere.

Some of the latest Euro turbo motors are making peak torque at 1,300rpm and the the torque curve is more like a flat line!

Then there's gearing, aerodynamics, etc.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
" This engine also produces 430 newton metres (317 ft·lbf) of torque at 5,500 rpm,[4][5] 90 percent of the total torque being available between 2,250 and 7,600 rpm"

Thus produces more than 387nm from 2250 to 7600rpm which is more than our engines produce at peak.

My VR-4 however is 405nm at 2250rpm, above 500nm from 2750rpm to 5750rpm, peaks at 620nm at 4400rpm and makes over 400nm until 6500rpm.

I'd easily have him through 1st gear but I'd need to change into 2nd earlier and in the time from me changing to him changing into 2nd he'd catch up quite a bit.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Brad.

Of course the RS4 produces more torque than a VR-4!

What I'm talking about is a "like for like" comparison i.e. a high revving motor that produces 430nm will most likely have an inferior torque curve compared to a well tuned turbo motor that also produces 430nm.

For example, we know that the RS4 makes peak torque of 430nm at 5,500rpm.

If we look at another car in the Audi stable, say the TTRS, which produces a similar torque figure (450nm). However, the full 450nm is available from 1,600rpm!

Similarly, the turbo charged 335i produces peak torque of 400nm and all of it is available from 1,200rpm!

So the point is that when we're comparing acceleration of an NA vs a turbo car, we shouldn't just look at the peak power and torque figures. The torque curve and the area under the curve will make a big difference to how the car drives!

Back on topic, for 100k, if we were looking for power, prestige, performance and luxury, it will be hard to go past the BMW 135i. Surprisingly, you'll get quite a bit of change from $100k for a brand new 135i and it has the same engine as the 335i, which means peak torque of 400nm from just over idle!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yeah I'm a big fan of the 135i and 335i. Especially because they use TD03's

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
If we look at another car in the Audi stable, say the TTRS, which produces a similar torque figure (450nm). However, the full 450nm is available from 1,600rpm!

DAMN! that'd pin you into your seat. all the way to redline!

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
DAMN! that'd pin you into your seat. all the way to redline!

Can't argue with 0-100 in 4.6 seconds whilst averaging 9.2L/.100klm! Not bad for what is commonly thought to be a hairdresser's car!

Brad, they run 1.2 bar of boost (about 18 psi).

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
I'd be pretty happy with any of the cars mentioned lol.

135i, 335i, RS4, walkinshaw, TTrs, plus all the others in the thread seem to be pretty darn awesome haha.. I'm easily amused =P

Top Bottom