What is the closest new car to a VR-4?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I can think of only one really, the Subaru Legacy, and even then I'd have the previous generation S402 before I had a new shape one.

The primary requirement would be that it has to be available with 4wd, and in both sedan and wagon versions. (so the EVO X is out)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Not really wagon though, even mitsi call it a 5 door hatch. The boot is quite small and realistically why would you when the EVO exists, with it's wider body, brakes, seats, AYC, etc.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
doesnt audi make a wagon and sedan in biturbo v10 AWD?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Volkswagen Passat ?
I think there's a 2L-Turbo but also V6 AWD version.

Ford Mondeo is only FWD right ?

Ralliart Lancer is definately NOT a wagon...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Paul - the RS6 is something like 2.2 tons. The RS4 V8 isn't available anymore but it was 1710kg in estate version, so around 180kg heavier than a manual VR-4 Legnum. The 6 speed box and 305kw would make up for that though in a straight line. The new version hasn't been released yet, but it will have a supercharged V6. The new S4 weighs over 1700kg, although it does have 245kw. None of the Audi's will be as quick as a VR-4 around the corners though due to their terrible weight distribution and they are all fatties!

Mondeo's are FWD only and the XR5 only has 162kw as well. Not a valid car!

The Passat R36 is a good contender but is again 1750kg for the wagon. It does have a 6 speed DSG though and 220kw with 350nm of torque. Because it is N/A it will be hard to get extra power out of, you can't just whack a boost controller on it and get a 15-20% increase in power!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The 2010 shape Legacy while being a bit ugly and non-subaru is 10kg lighter than a manual VR-4, has 210kw at 6000rpm, 350nm at 2000-5600rpm compared to 206kw at 5500rpm and 363nm at 4000rpm of a VR-4. It also has Bilsteins, 18" wheels, a 6 speed gearbox and most importantly parts from an STI will fit straight on such as Brembo brakes (hubs would be needed too) as well as the full 227kw 422nm STI engine ;)

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
I work for Audi. Im the senior Audi technician here in orange. The new RS6 is just as fast in corners as in straight, they are very heavy, but they are no longer dynamically challenged.lol (prob. cause they have been raiding lambo's parts bin. & the next RS4 will not be a blown 6..............

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Impressive lack of weight for the Subaru. Does anyone make a bodykit that replaces the entire shell? And are there coilovers available that lower the car 6 metres?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Fred - the EVO 9 wagon owned the RS6 wagon through some corners. Physics can't make 2250kg beat 1550kg around a corner ;)

Tim - yes I am impressed too! The previous generation was another 20kg lighter.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
In terms of similar power, torque, size, weight and drive train configuration, I'd say the Liberty GT (Legacy in New Zealand) or Mazda6 MPS.

However, as far as I know, the MPS does not come in wagon guise.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
I realise some more nimble cars such as the evo will still have an edge. i was just pointing out for the weight the dynamics have come along way. But why pay $290,000 for one when an evo/vr-4 can get real close for a whole lot less...(Runs & hides from audi ceo's with snipers)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Volvo V70 Brad? They come in 3L I6 Turbo with 210kw & 400nm torque & AWD.

Kind of similar?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Bruce - yes the Mazda 6 MPS is close but sedan only.

Brad - the V70 is 1765kg! They are a good looking car though. One of my customers has the n/a v6 3.2 version and it is very nice. Not really a VR-4 competitor. They are also available only with an auto gearbox.

Top Bottom