What is the closest new car to a VR-4?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Brad - the V70 is 1765kg! They are a good looking car though. One of my customers has the n/a v6 3.2 version and it is very nice. Not really a VR-4 competitor. They are also available only with an auto gearbox.

What exactly are the requirements again Brad? Does it have to be lighter & manual only ? :confused:
You did say 'closest'...

G

Unregistered
pretty sure you can get the mazda 6 mps in wagon here in oz. Used to drive a volvo 850 t5 in the UK - not awd and much heavier so didn't compare to the VR4, but was definitely powerful enough to surprise young punks expecting just another volvo driver...fastest wardrobe I've ever driven!!!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I realise some more nimble cars such as the evo will still have an edge. i was just pointing out for the weight the dynamics have come along way. But why pay $290,000 for one when an evo/vr-4 can get real close for a whole lot less...(Runs & hides from audi ceo's with snipers)
Haha I thought it was pretty telling that the senior Audi tech is driving a VR4 ;)

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
V35 Skyline Angelax is a 280ps+ 4WD Sedan
M35 Stagea 250T RS Four is a 280ps 4WD Wagon

Yumyumyum

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Brad - the V70 is 1765kg! They are a good looking car though. One of my customers has the n/a v6 3.2 version and it is very nice. Not really a VR-4 competitor. They are also available only with an auto gearbox.

Maybe in New Zealand but a friend of mine back in Johannesburg has a manual V-70.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
If you can afford to buy an Audi RS6 then chances are you wouldn't care that a VR4 is cheaper.. Because, well, why would you?

I know if I could afford an RS4 or RS6 I'd get one over a VR4 in a heart beat! Sure they might be able to be "out cornered" in "some corners" by an Evo wagon or a VR4, but, really, in the real world, who cares? How often would you be challenged head to head like that?

But yeah..

Anyway, the Volvo thing rings true, quite underestimated due to the "volvo" badge!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Does the BMW 335 come in a touring/wagon version ?

Hang on they're RWD only...

There are some 3 series available with 4wd, but not the faster ones. I've just spent 20 minutes wandering around the UK and NZ websites and I'm still not sure what engines are available with 4wd on what versions! If anyone can figure out if the 335 is available with 4wd in a wagon (I found a coupe 335iX with 4wd) then let me know! The X means 4wd.

king_panther said:
What exactly are the requirements again Brad? Does it have to be lighter & manual only ? :confused:
You did say 'closest'...

It doesn't have to be lighter, but a fat bastard car isn't keeping with the whole idea of the Legnum, it was originally marketed as a sports wagon and the variants weighed from 1310kg (2wd manual 1.8) to 1530kg and 1570kg for manual and auto VR-4's. The EVO X 5 speed manual is 1520kg and a 9 was 1420kg. I'd therefore expect a 'new' VR-4 to be around 1600kg for the manual version. At a push 1650kg. Definitely not over 1700kg.

knickers said:
V35 Skyline Angelax is a 280ps+ 4WD Sedan
M35 Stagea 250T RS Four is a 280ps 4WD Wagon

True, and the M35 is a very very nice car. I went for a drive in a 2.5 Turbo model about a month ago and I was impressed. They are however auto only, not as fast around corners and it felt 'relaxed' I think they are a good upgrade for someone with an Auto VR-4 and I would consider one for a cruiser, but they aren't as focused as a VR-4. In saying that, if I was buying an M35, I'd buy the rare 6 speed manual 3.5L n/a with the wide arches http://www.goo-net.com/catalog/NISSAN/STAGEA/10029936/index.html

It is only RWD but the power and torque figures are identical to a VR-4, 206kw and 363nm. Even the stock wheels look good, although I'm sure to make them suit the car better they would need to have 20mm spacers on and have the rear ones widened by 1.5" with 255/40/18's on the back :D

Esoteric said:
Maybe in New Zealand but a friend of mine back in Johannesburg has a manual V-70.

Current shape or previous generation?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Anyway, the Volvo thing rings true, quite underestimated due to the "volvo" badge!

I'd still fancy a Volvo Wagon R in black! They look ace.

Didn't the Brits use chipped versions of the T5 wagons as pursuit cars?

Bradc, not much more is coming to mind. There is a Golf wagon coming out, but best engine is a 2.5L N/A with FWD.
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon 3.2V6 ?

G

Unregistered
I'd still fancy a Volvo Wagon R in black! They look ace.

Didn't the Brits use chipped versions of the T5 wagons as pursuit cars?

Bradc, not much more is coming to mind. There is a Golf wagon coming out, but best engine is a 2.5L N/A with FWD.
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon 3.2V6 ?

Quite right about the pursuit cars, my T5 was black - nice wagon for the stealth factor, but prefer the VR4 for allround driving experience

Stand corrected about the MPS, thought I'd seen a wagon somewhere in the past......

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I don't think you can include Audis Volvos, VWs etc because to be a VR4 equivalent they need to be at least slightly interesting and possess a bit of personality. None of those manufacturers fit that bill.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Current shape or previous generation?

It is a 2nd Gen 2006 model. As far as I'm aware all generations came out in manual. My vote for "closest car" to a VR-4 would be the Volvo S60R.

AWD, turbo, similar weight.

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
An Aus spec 'STI tuned' Liberty wagon would be my choice. It would need some modding, but the liberty is a great platform to mod due the the WRX part sharing. Its not going to be much faster than a VR4 if at all, but a lot more refined. But bang for buck the VR4 eats the Liberty/legacy, which is why i ended up in one ..... The Legnum is not a better car, but is close for a 1/3 to 1/2 of the price. But if money was less of an issue id be in a Modded Turbo liberty.. bloody things hold their value too well..

Current R32 Passat also very desirable IMO but i agree with Brad - any upgrade is going to be very pricey, and the entry price secondhand is still too high.. Probably a good car to buy down the track once ive had a complete gutful of modding cars..and they are affordable.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Current R32 Passat also very desirable IMO but i agree with Brad - any upgrade is going to be very pricey, and the entry price secondhand is still too high.. Probably a good car to buy down the track once ive had a complete gutful of modding cars..and they are affordable.

Aren't they an R36 ? R32 is the Golf.. well WAS the Golf.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yeah current passat is R36. Before that they had the cool W8 4.0

Ryan - I can't find any info on the web about a current gen manual one

Top Bottom