what tyres for the vr4

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Yeah i called up about 5 second hand tyre stores, nothing in those sizes, ebay only had chinese stuff on there.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
245/40/18 from evo oz $1100 + postage

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Yeah exactly, why so much more than 17"?

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Don't know but 225 45 R17 are $50 a tyre more than 235 45 R17

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I've said it before but I reckon the Nankang NS2's are a bloody great tyre, and I picked mine up for $205 a corner. Haven't felt any loss of grip wet or dry yet despite some pretty hard backroad driving and I can't think of anything I don't like about them apart from a bit too much road noise. And as a bonus they don't wear very fast at all.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
(still not bad for starcorps)

I thought you got Work Equips? Maybe I'm confused.

You can get 235/40 R18s for $110 each if you try. Just throw cheapies on for a while until you save some more cash. They'll be fine as long as you respect their limitations.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I thought you got Work Equips? Maybe I'm confused.

You can get 235/40 R18s for $110 each if you try. Just throw cheapies on for a while until you save some more cash. They'll be fine as long as you respect their limitations.

They are starcorp racing impuls worth $2k new.
Originally chrome although they will soon be black, not really a fan of chrome rims.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
$2k for Starcorps? Wow.

But yeah, as long as you get 235/40s you can do it on the cheap. Obviously $200+ tyres are better than my dodgy Circlings, but they are also double the price. If you only have $400 for tyres you can still do it, you'll just be compromising a bit on quality.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I just spoke to a friend and he said it's illegal to fit different sized tyres on your car?

What would be the effects of fitting 235/40/18 all round to the car? What will it effect? The abs or the speedo or what? Not only will it save me money it may save me a potential yellow sticker!

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
different sized tyres.. as in left vs right? yeah why would u do that, but didnt realise it was illegal. as opposed to front vs rear, where everyone does that, unless u got a awd car.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
On an AWD, same size wheels need same size tyres.....

Staggered wheels f to r will obviously need different ones as you will have different rolling radius's between the 2 and that could hurt your transfer case substancially, not to mention it would look retarded lol

L to R will need to be the same for ANY car. I know that ones the law lol (Not me, a friend)

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
awd's depend on the car, like the new GTR has staggered rims.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I am talking about front to rear, 8.5" rims on the front, 9.5" rims on the rear. A mate reckons that is illegal? But yeah I thought people do it all the time also? Maybe he was thinking about left to right?

My question was If I were to put say 235/40/18 or 245/40/18's on both the front and back what would be the effect considering the width differences between my font and rear rims? They are both the same offset, +38

Brad was mentioning something about trying to stay close to the rolling radius? This is why he recommended 225/40's on the front and 255/35 on the rear for the rims I've got.

Reason I ask is I may have come across a set of 245/40/18's of a mate for free!! And if that fails, a set of 4 235/40/18's to buy new are A LOT cheaper than the 225/40 and 255/35 combination recommended.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
As you have staggered width rims, you will need to keep the rolling radius the same on front and rear by using different sized tyres or you will just chew out the transfer case :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If you run the same size all around the rears will look a bit stretched, that is all.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
But with staggered width he will also have a rolling radius different at the front than the rear....

This = Bad for poor old transfer case :(

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
ive tried to get away with this, where width and offset are dead close to the same front and rear, but not exact. seeing most jap rims only come in staggered sets.

i found it was just too hard and a lot of guess work. plus then u cant rotate them around to clear ur brembos, etc.

and no def not ilegal. its more common than having the same size all round, as most cars are either rwd or fwd.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I know the theory behind it, triangle this, straight line that, but due to the construction of a tyre it's height won't actually change on a wider wheel.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
So whats the verdict then?

Can I get away with fitting the same tyres (i.e.235/40/18?) all around with the only side effect being stretched looking tyres or will it indeed stress the transfer case??

I'm confused....

Reason I ask is mainly cost related....

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I'd be thinking that it won't be happy regardless of what tyres you run. Wouldn't the difference in weight be a factor too?

I've never seen an Evo running stagger. That's probably a good indication.

Top Bottom