What's it worth (realistically)?

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
G'day all.

I'm thinking about selling my Legnum and would like to get an idea of what I can realistically expect to get for it. As we all know the market is a little weak at the moment and what people advertise cars for <> what they sell for. If I do sell, I don't want to wait 6 months, I'll put it up for a realistic price.

So based on recent sales, what would this be worth:
-White 1996 VR4
-Manual
-~70,000km (bought 3 yrs ago with 48,000)
-16" BBS wheels with new Michelin PS3 tires
-DBA slotted rotors and Ferodo DS2500 pads
-RPW front pipes (rest of system stock)
-FMIC
-Tein basic wagon coilovers
-Gizmo EBC
-Simple but nice alpine/pioneer stereo

That's about it. Pretty much a lightly modded, clean, straight low km manual example.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Has the clutch or 100k service been done and how much rego?

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Nope. Clutch is as solid as the day I bought it, but being a stocker it doesn't like hard launches.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
$13k neg is probably realistic. It may be worth more than that, but if you are not willing to wait, that should ensure it may move along a little faster for you.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Sweet. Seems the manuals have held their value well. I'd be happy as Larry with $13k. :)

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Very Nice looking Car. 13k Sounds about right if it still looks as clean as it did 3 years ago.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
With a detail it will. Rarely gets driven at the moment, so it's a bit dirty. :D

A few minor paint blemishes, but being the flat, non-metalic white they're hard to notice and it's easier to look after.

Thanks for the input guys.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Well IMO I think its worth 11K max..its a 96 model and does have some nice mods but in today market mods are not worth even 1/5 the price you pay for it..if you look at VR4TT03 (i think) he sold his 96 galant with recaros, brembos, gearbox rebuilt, coilovers, and other nice mods for $10,500. thats what he advertised it for but what he eventually sold it for I dont know..yea he might have had higher k's though but still...Also i think potential buyers will negotiate u down to $10,500...

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
My opinion maybe $11-12k :)

At the end of the day, it's worth whatever somebody will pay for it. Say if you advertise it for say $13k when you'll knowingly let it go for $11k, you'll get a price your happy with and the buyer will feel like they got a good price "omg bro talked him down $2k!!~!!!11~one!1"

Hopefully you find people who know what these cars are worth, and aren't out to just low ball you. So don't settle for less than what YOU think it should be, and if you can afford to wait, then you will eventually find the person ready to pay the right price :)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
G

Unregistered
Yeah, I'd agree with somewhere around the $11,000-$12,500 mark.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I think 13k is a very fair asking price. Manual, Sunroof, Low kms and some good mods. Sure some Legnums have been selling cheaper but they didn't have as much going for them as this one.

Fully

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
99 Galant VR4
Very true...

If you wanted to buy a forty year old locally built car that has 172,000km on the clock with rear drum brakes, rear leaf springs, 224kW and 515Nm of V8 torque, would you pay $331,000? Unless you're a 1971 Falcon XY GTHO Phase III fan, then no :)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/69402/ford-xy-falcon-gt-ho-phase-iii-goes-for-331000-at-auction/

Wow - Would of got +500k if there wasn't as many kms on it =)
I had one of them about 20 yrs ago (not a Hoey) - Swapped it for XY wagon and cash my way. Used the cash to build a 351 Cleveland to stick in the wagon, bigger brakes, stiffer suspension....etc
Then killed it on the race track =) The good old days.

Gl with your sale mate =)
You guys seem to get good prices for them still!

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Thanks lads.

Seriously, if I did get that sort of money for a '96 car, then they have held their value very well.
I'm thinking of buying a M35 Stagea a whole 6 years newer and you're looking at around $15k for one. Crazy cheap. A lot of car for your $.....and same still goes for the Legnums. I'll miss it! The stag might match it in a straight line, but I doubt it'll be as much fun as the Legnum. That's ok though, till to start building a toy car soon. :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
They might be 'crazy cheap', but they're a Stagea dude???? Why would you? Bleuck lol...
They don't handle anywhere near as good as these cars.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that the market is dead as for some time. Have a look at how long some of the FS threads have been going for. If you are wanting it to sell quick, you might need to prepare for some arse-raping on the price...

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
No offence, ask 12 or 13, expect 9-10.5 in this market based on my recent experiences.

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
I'm never selling my vr4....

When the time comes to upgrade, galant's getting turned into a full track thrasher. Just don't tell the missus yet...

Top Bottom