What's the most exotic/rare/unusual car you've spotted?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
At a show in Ballarat 2 weeks ago I saw some old 30s Mercedes Benz (sorry, don't know or care much about Euros so don't know the model) that is the same as one recently bought at auction in Europe by Bernie Ecclestone for over 8 million Euros. There was also an old gullwing Benz there.

Also my panel beater had a red Jensen Interceptor FF (the 4wd model) in his shop for about 5-6 years. It was one of 6 red ones ever built. I'd call that rare.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Going around Pukekohe in an R35 GTR was good fun, but it wasn't as fast as I thought it would be in a straight line. It could have done with 10psi extra.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
got a ride in R35 around philip island circuit earlier this year. that was pretty mad.
also my old man has an Aston DB9, so i've driven that a few times.

Bring the DB9 to a wash meet! lol

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I saw one of those new Lotus things yesterday, I had no idea what it was until I saw the badging! Looked pretty good

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Murcielago convertible, in a tunnel, going from about 80 - 200. THE SOUND OF IT!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I tend to get more excitement from seeing a modified import than I do from seeing someone driving their chequebook...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
My point is that a super expensive car isn't necessarily interesting just because it is expensive is it? And something that anyone with enough money can just roll up and buy is, well, just a bit boring IMO. I'm more interested to hear about really rare and individual cars.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
They may not be interesting to you, but they would quite certainly classify themselves as exotic/rare/unusual, which is keeping with the thread title.

A modified Jap import, well, not really.......

kasperflipped

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
trent
Drive
1997 legnum
i recently laid eyes on a car collection inwhich there was an old merc that was used by hitler. Also in this un-assuming warehouse was about another 10 million dollars worth of cars and bikes, including a race setup ferrrari f40, some other super old ferrari, numerous lambos and other old cars that were something special. Being in the oil & gas business sure does reap some rewards

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
Lotus 340R at a trackday at Wakefield Park. Only 340 were built. Looks like a dune buggy.

9082525.jpg

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
probably the "rarest" performance car i've driven is an XY GTHO Phase III. One of ~120 left in existance.

Dad owned it for ~7 years, drove it maybe 6 times in that time. Was a real pig to drive, f**k knows how guys threw them around Mt Panorama for 6 hrs at race pace all by themselves, they must have been bloody strong and fit!

-T8-

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tate
Drive
WRX CSE5, 7g galant
^ I'm glad this thread made a come back..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I had a feeling the murci was stolen on the day, it also nearly hit a concrete wall as it went over the painted median strip throwing dust up everywhere in the process, maybe they just didnt care about it.... And it sounded awesome.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I had a feeling the murci was stolen on the day, it also nearly hit a concrete wall as it went over the painted median strip throwing dust up everywhere in the process, maybe they just didnt care about it.... And it sounded awesome.

Probably on lease through a company. See it a fair bit actually....

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Holy crap hit a median strip? Out of control, or just going too fast towards it?

And my eyes aren't drawn to it just because it's expensive.. My eyes are drawn to it because they're not very common, look very "out there", sound amazing and just look awesome!

BMW X5's, Audi Q7s, ML350s, etc are all expensive.. But I don't really care when I see them (except when I notice they're a twin turbo diesel v12, AMG, or M-series), etc..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yeah just the painted variety.... I guess I am used to caring for cars I own.... It was just weird to see a car like that driving over the 'dirty' part of the road throwing up dust, they changed their mind and went left of the concrete barrier that divides the etag lanes from the cash lanes instead of to the right of it just before the M2 toll gates heading east, missed it by probably half a metre but at the speed and angle they were at....

And my eyes were drawn to it's height (lack of it), width (what's the opposite of lack?) and the sound in a tunnel.... I don't care if a car is expensive or not, if i like it, I'll notice it. Each to their own, I take your point though the owner most likely hasn't spent half as much time on it as someone modifying an import but who knows, maybe they always wanted a Lambo (and not just a little baby gallardo but the full on big, heavy murci) and have been saving for twenty years. Then again, phark it looked stolen or yes, maybe a one day lease thingy....

I still notice all those cars I used to aspire to as well, like stock VP commodores, N14 SSS pulsars (N13's for that matter) but I also notice modded imports, modded commodores, falcons, RS audi's M series BMW's etc they're all fine to look at. I'd never want to own half of them but I still notice.

My other memorable car noticing event was seeing the Motor PCOTY finalists heading out once, it was in the lower blue mountains and that year they met up at valley heights before travelling in convoy from there on so I saw them all seperated except for two cars running together. First I saw an R8 (first time I saw one in the flesh) then a 911 turbo or GT2 or GT3 or something a minute or so later. A couple of minutes later I saw a Gallardo (and I remember thinking the R8 stood out more) and a few other 'nice' cars can't remember which now but it was only a couple of years ago, nice to see something special, then another, then another etc and I thought, i think they are going to have a better day at work today than me.... :)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
cant recall anything off the top of my head bar a GT40 rep with a boss motor and 17x12 simmons on the back

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
And my eyes were drawn to it's height (lack of it), width (what's the opposite of lack?) and the sound in a tunnel.... I don't care if a car is expensive or not, if i like it, I'll notice it. Each to their own, I take your point though the owner most likely hasn't spent half as much time on it as someone modifying an import but who knows, maybe they always wanted a Lambo (and not just a little baby gallardo but the full on big, heavy murci) and have been saving for twenty years. Then again, phark it looked stolen or yes, maybe a one day lease thingy....

I still notice all those cars I used to aspire to as well, like stock VP commodores, N14 SSS pulsars (N13's for that matter) but I also notice modded imports, modded commodores, falcons, RS audi's M series BMW's etc they're all fine to look at. I'd never want to own half of them but I still notice.

I can say both you and I have very similar opinions on this!

I remember before getting my P's and when I first did get my P's, there are so many cars that I used to want to have.. N14 SSS, some commodores, falcons, XR's, etc etc.. I notice them now, and espec when they look similar to what I had pictured in my head of me owning (but never did).. I notice them, I don't think "oh my god I want one NOW" like I do when I notice "exotics"..

Lambos, Audis, etc stand out from the crowd to me, even the new 2L Turbo A4's as I know it'd be nice to own one someday, for some more "refined" feeling with a tiny turbo kick from getting A-B or a long trip or whatever.. But may not ever own one, who knows! They still appeal to me, even though they're not -that far- from possible for me to some day own..

Not that flash or fast, but still pop out and I do notice them haha..

Imports and modified cars def stand out, but it's a different kind of "stand out" to an exotic car.. Sure the price thing gets my attention, but it's the whole presence of the car that counts for most of the attention they get =P

I remember rocking up behind a Murcielago one day going on to the Anzac Bridge.. Man it sounded amazing, looked nuts, and just over all was jizzzzzzzzzzz..

Top Bottom