Wheel and tyre packs

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
well. if that is the case - i have pre-face-lift - would it worth getting it just for the sake of being cheep and tyres if it is around $500 mark?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Was thinking the same, if it was local I would be more keen. Buy it and fit them and if they look ok I'm first in line line for the next set.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
No, it wouldn't. Save for another couple of weeks and buy something that doesn't have AIDS.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Speaking of the devil, check it out boys:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-x-Lancer-V...s=65:1|66:4|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:200

At least this guy is willing to describe them as Lancer VRX rims.

Current price is $299 and buy it now price is $499. No tyres this time and makes the last set I saw look like a steal (brand new rims + tyres for circa $350).

If I was tight on cash and needed new tyres, I'd give the VRX / Ralliart rims a look, especially at $350. They seem to be an improvement on the 16 inch factory rims.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
seems like a good deal and yes, i guess i am on a tough budget - times are tough - i need to replace my tyres soon.
this is what i think.

if i can get those wheels with decent tyres, say 80~90% thred left, for about 500 bucks, i would buy them for the sake of tyres. then i probably sell my stock bbs 16's for about $250 with tyre (bit of thred left still good for 6 months). which means, i got the tyres and wheeld for about $300. Getting new tyres for 16's all around probably cost about at least 500 (thats lowest quality ones)

so i guess if i can deal with the looks, then i think it iw worth getting them.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Do it man, I wanna see how it looks. Not a lot to loose either.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^Soooo wish I could do that to my Liberty :drool: (but I dont have the $$ or a wife who could NOT rash the wheels)

for wheel fitment advise, I suggest you check the "which wheel" thread ;)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
^Soooo wish I could do that to my Liberty :drool: (but I dont have the $$ or a wife who could NOT rash the wheels)

A bit off topic Lee, but ever since you made that joke in the chatroom I actually go "FAAAAARRRRRRKKK" every time I see a Liberty GT lol

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
smesh.jpg

$350 18x9 +37 offset These would actually fit too.

What's the verdict? Anyone got a pic with something simular fitted? Photochop to my car anyone?

Edit: I think hipsi has similar in gold no?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^ Was about to say same fitment as Joel (SLY031) on pre-facelift legnum and Tims galant. For $350 - go for it !

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Includes 265 wide toyo tyes with 60% tread also. Just getting a quote for transport to
Perth. Will buy em as soon as it's done.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Anyone know the best way to transport them cheaply?
Edit: epic let down... There is only 2 wheels available for sale. WTF will I do with two wheels? I thought I had the deal of the century.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
seems like a good deal and yes, i guess i am on a tough budget - times are tough - i need to replace my tyres soon.
this is what i think.

if i can get those wheels with decent tyres, say 80~90% thred left, for about 500 bucks, i would buy them for the sake of tyres. then i probably sell my stock bbs 16's for about $250 with tyre (bit of thred left still good for 6 months). which means, i got the tyres and wheeld for about $300. Getting new tyres for 16's all around probably cost about at least 500 (thats lowest quality ones)

so i guess if i can deal with the looks, then i think it iw worth getting them.

I agree with you Jono.

Not everyone can or wants to drop $3g on a set of hard bastard Jap rims with the sickest offset, the widest tyres or the [insert other street cred superlative].

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

I also think your logic is sound from a cost perspective. Given that getting stock replacement tyres is likely to cost anywhere near north of $500, why not go the VRX rims with tyres if you can get them for around the same price. They are 2 inches larger in diameter than stock, wider in width and can fit a more aggressive profile tyre. Definitely not taking a step backwards from stock IMO.

Now of course, if you happen to be the winner of next week's $90M Oz Lotto, you might consider something a little more flashy than the VRX rims but until money becomes no object, I think you can do worse than the VRX rims for the money.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Sigh. My hard bastard Jap rims with the sickest offset, the widest tyres or the [insert other street cred superlative] cost me $1150 delivered from Japan. New. Hardly $3k or "money is no object". As they are 9j, I can run 235s which cuts down my tyre costs significantly. If you look at them over 2 years or so, they actually make more financial sense than getting a set of 18x7 or 7.5 for a couple of hundred dollars cheaper and having to buy 215s or 225s which will typically cost $150-$200 more per set than comparable 235s.

Unfortunately getting big wheels with bad offset is always going to make your car look a bit wrong. Wronger than stock wheels. IMO you're better off just buying new tyres for your stock wheels and saving up to get the wheels you really want. I too have bought bad offset wheels for the tyres that were on them - they were on my Silvia for a couple of weeks before I realised the error of my ways, dropped $1400 on 17x9s and stretched the 215s that came on the crappy wheels onto them!

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Sigh. My hard bastard Jap rims with the sickest offset, the widest tyres or the [insert other street cred superlative] cost me $1150 delivered from Japan. New. Hardly $3k or "money is no object". As they are 9j, I can run 235s which cuts down my tyre costs significantly. If you look at them over 2 years or so, they actually make more financial sense than getting a set of 18x7 or 7.5 for a couple of hundred dollars cheaper and having to buy 215s or 225s which will typically cost $150-$200 more per set than comparable 235s.

Unfortunately getting big wheels with bad offset is always going to make your car look a bit wrong. Wronger than stock wheels. IMO you're better off just buying new tyres for your stock wheels and saving up to get the wheels you really want. I too have bought bad offset wheels for the tyres that were on them - they were on my Silvia for a couple of weeks before I realised the error of my ways, dropped $1400 on 17x9s and stretched the 215s that came on the crappy wheels onto them!

sounds like you got a good deal mate.

I think individual taste and aim for the car probably differ slightly in some ways however, we all have same cars:ROFLMAO:
For me, i do not mind looking bit off and want to save some money as well - probably to pay off my credit card but not my wife's Gucci (i can't even spell it right). I probably hand over my car to my wife soon since our family is at the growth of expotential rate. Now i prefer having stockie look for the safty of my wife and kids just incase someone trys to have a go or steal it. Even my full exhaust system looks stock and thats how i asked the guys for it.

It is personal choice and the choice for me is - lets be a tight ass till the tax return~:ROFLMAO:

tax return = intercooler and wifes new dress x 2 + hand bag + dinner..

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
For me, i do not mind looking bit off and want to save some money as well

Now i prefer having stockie look for the safty of my wife and kids just incase someone trys to have a go or steal it. Even my full exhaust system looks stock and thats how i asked the guys for it.

It is personal choice and the choice for me is - lets be a tight ass till the tax return~:ROFLMAO:

Personal choice - I think that's the point, isn't it Jono?

If you're happy with the look and cost of the VRX rims, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Sure, there will always be exceptions to the rule when someone pipes in and says "Don't do it! I got my hard Jap rims for cheap at $xxx". However, common sense will tell you that:

a) your odds of getting new or near new 18 inch VRX rims with tyres for around $500 are pretty good (just see how many sets turn up on Ebay); and

b) your odds of getting new or new near 18 inch tough Jap rims with tyres for around $500 are next to none.

Good luck mate and time to reel in the missus' spending habits ;)

Top Bottom