When Turning the key power comes on but engine does not automatically kick over

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
I have noticed a few times when i have started up the car I can turn the key have all the power come on but have the engine not kick over.....I then turn back off and turn the key again and it will start.....I noticed that this time the radio was cleared of all stations etc like the battery had been disconected....

Help anyone?
Is it altenator?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
damn dude.. that can't be good.. have you checked your battery wiring?

if it was your battery you shouldn't be able to crank it if its dying..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You could have a short, it could be your alternator, it could be your battery or it could just be a loose connection. Have you checked your battery connections? If one of them is loose or if there's corrosion that could cause a problem.

I had a problem with a starter motor years ago that would do something similar - you'd turn the key and get nothing. Turn it on and off a few times and eventually it would crank and start fine. Sometimes knocking the case with a hammer would fix it, as the brushes were just worn. Eventually replaced it and never had a problem again.

I suspect your problem isn't the starter motor, however - even if it was, you shouldn't be losing power to your stereo etc.

First thing I'd check is terminals, then swap the battery, and go from there.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I'd bet on terminals too. Give them a dose of hot water to get rid of the gunk if there's any build up.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Cheers guys!! i will do that tonight!

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
Does the car have an immobiliser fitted, as if it is one of those immobilers built into the key ring and you dont have to push any buttons to turn on or off, they sometimes take a while to register that they are in the car, happens quite often. Could be another source in case it isnt what is already said. Good luck

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
yeah but he has said it lost its radio stations etc. this would lead me to beleave that the others are right, loose terminal

brackenridgevr4

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
luke
Drive
pfl vr4 legnum evo8
I know this is a really old post
but I haven't driven the car for ages and this is happening to mine
but its also doing it wen driving along radio fine then turns off and no stations
car dosent stall or turn off
noticed that voltage drops to 12 wen idling but goes up to 14 wen driving
tap the brakes voltage drops blinker on can see my lights dimming
And at night can see a slight battery light on for around 3 minutes verrrrry dim light

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
sounds like an earthing problem.
check your battery terminals, and where the earth joins to the chassis.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if battery terminals are fine.. could be your battery or audio amp (if you have 1 or 2)

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
If your dash lights go out when you go to crank it and the car loses power then it will be terminals or an earth problem if not probably starter signal or it will be the starter is the ignition barrel sloppy?

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
If your dash lights go out when you go to crank it and the car loses power then it will be terminals or an earth problem if not probably starter signal or it will be the starter is the ignition barrel sloppy?
clearly read the wrong post,
Also for the radio sounds like its a fault with the wiring behind it.

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
If your battery light is coming on dim is a fault with the regulator in the alternator

Abs hozza I was answering a question from the beginning of the thread didn't realize is an old thread

Top Bottom