Whirrrr noise under light load

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
Question: (yes i have searched for this, search police) I have a sort of "whine" noise coming from the car when I just put it under load either just accelerating a little bit like to stay at the speed limit, or when its idling sometimes it may make the sound a little.

It is hard to describe, but sounds like ."whrrrrrr".

If i accelerate moderately to hard it goes away and also when I take my foot off the accelerator.

I have checked AYC reservoir, engine oil, gearbox oil. All appears to be fine.

Will a full service and fluid change possibly fix this? I have not yet plucked up the courage to find a reputable mechanic in QLD that won't do dodgy work.

Any info would be a great help guys.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Transfer Case is a possible culprit. The whine is the gears getting old (I have the same whine). Change your transer case fluid for nice new stuff, see how it goes. If its still there, you'll learn to live with it like I have ;) (That and I have a spare transfer case sitting there if this one goes bang)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Doubtful if it happens when idle though. Does it happen regardless of what gear you are in? If so I would guess engine related, perhaps air leak oor turbo noise?

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
Thanks for the replies; It mainly happens under light load or when you back off the accelerator and the engine has a small amount of load on the gears like engine braking when over speeding in a gear.

The really annoying part is it only happens like when I sit @ 60kmph or 80 or 100 .... just as you touch the accelerator to keep up the same speed, it whines... but when you release it stops... and when you push that little bit harder it stops.

Very strange....

I originally thought transfer case also; but on idle it is present that little bit, almost like a belt or something that needs to be greased up.

Any other ideas? I am going to book it into a workshop; just finding the time/money to do so; as well as being on the north side of brisbane.

BigH

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Harley
Drive
Was an EVO 8
I'm having a very similar problem. It only happens when I accelerate or im at light load over 80kmh or so. It doesn't do it under idle though. But it does stop when I release my foot of the accelerator.
I thought it was the old head unit. Just got another one and I still have the noise.
It does sound like to me a whine comming from the left speaker.

Top Bottom