• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
What is the actual difference between down pipes and front/dump pipes? Or are they the same thing?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
down and front are the same, dumps are different

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
There is a small dump off the turbos' exhaust housing which goes down to join up to the front pipes. They then join together just before the cat.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
So do we need to change our "dump" aswell? Is it restrictive?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Also may be interested if price is good (inc postage). Obviously it would have to beat out the mentioned R easonably P riced W est-Aussie gear, and be significantly cheaper than a local custom jobby.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
It is probably be better to keep the original dumps as when the exhaust gases leave the dump, when they hit the expanded pipe (downpipe) they start to move faster creating a vacuum and drawing the gas behind it out faster.

Hope that makes sense.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I won't vote until an approx price including postage is posted Q.....

G

Unregistered
well it was more to see the interest in guys wanting A/M Downs...
they will be mainly mad ein mild Steel but ofcourse the jig wil be able to house Stainless too then..

Price is going to depend on wha ti can get them fabd for,
i am hoping to get my guys to Fab up a Prototype and jig it ,test fitment,then i want the jig anmd i will farm out all the pipe cutitng and flange cutting etc required so i just push into jig,weld up and merry merry ways...........

NZ seem to have a figure in mind round $350-$400 for the item(mild steel)

and yes i am going to get them made in 2.5" downs into collector out to 3" before the cat

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Stainless is a wonderful material but it does not like extreme heat. Best off not doing the front pipes in stainless.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Possibly interested then.... I can get them made and fitted locally for about $400AUD so if it comes in under that by a decent amount i'll get them through a GB

TTVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
99 Galant, black, Sunroof, manual, Recaros
this sort of set-up looks wicked.
[NSW] Full Custom Exhaust with downpipes (From Windsor Exhaust in Richmond)

this is what i am looking for

Attachments

• DSC_0484.jpg
    DSC_0484.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 411

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
The unit above looks really good. This matched with some mild steel dumps and some free flowing turbo inlet pipes would be very nice ;)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Id be happy with that in stainless.

Stainless is a wonderful material but it does not like extreme heat. Best off not doing the front pipes in stainless.

Really? It has a higher melting point and is stronger and lighter because you don't have to use a thick a material because its stronger. Plus its more resistant to corrosion as its title suggest :) it will discolour because of the heat but its going under the car and above the under tray so no one will see it any way :p

Could be wrong, have been before but thats what I thought.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
IT is rapid heating and cooler that damages it I think, which is why exhaust manifolds always crack. Down pipes should be and issue. Dumps, yeah, would prob crack to eventually.

Will probably also depend on the quality of SS used too.

G

Unregistered
that look is similar if not xact waht im going to make them like..

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Attached is a picture of the Pros engineering down pipes from my car.

I thought it might be useful to show how they joined the two pipes to the merge 2 into 1 collector. They have used a slip joint to avoid cracking due to expansion and contraction of the front and rear pipes.

A more common solution is to use a flexi on the front pipe, however that takes more room.

I have never had any issues with the slip joints, but not sure whether you would get in any trouble for them in Aus.

Attachments

• down pipes.JPG
    down pipes.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 390

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
IT is rapid heating and cooler that damages it I think, which is why exhaust manifolds always crack. Down pipes should be and issue. Dumps, yeah, would prob crack to eventually.

Will probably also depend on the quality of SS used too.

As he said :D

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I don't know, Ive known quite a few people with stainless exhausts weather it be on a motorbike or cars and they have never had any problems. The only time I have known of a problem is the welds cracking and that was on a mild steel extractor. So I guess as long as its quality SS it should be fine, right?

Top Bottom