why are we selling our vr4s?

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
hey guys, jst checked out emmauals car on the car sales today. another significant member to be missed...

i know some of us sell our cars for some reasons but i would like o know when or how long people are willing to keep the cars or on what reasons we would sell our cars. Sometimes i want to sell mine and get an evo but not want to loose too much money and i need a station wagon.

Only reason i would sell is when my ca completely brakes down or really in financial trouble - The rainy Day -

so,, why are we really selling our cars?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I sold my Legnum to buy a Galant :D But I dont think thats what your looking for is it Jono?

I guess, the only reason I'd sell is if I was totally up shit creek and needed the cash.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I think you'll find the current financial situation with housing is the reason for the mass down grades / selling.

I know I have considered selling and going to something a little less expensive to maintain/run. .... But I soon came to my senses :)

Dave45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David Agius
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
We are so lucky to have such a unique car, which I believe.. Won't get the mass demand as skylines, subaru, chasers, ect..
I haven't seen anyone on here sell just to upgrade to a different car or whatever.. It's either been to pay for a house, or to fix up another legnum or Mitsubishi.
I wouldn't even sell for a galant cos I need the wagon space for my dogs, and later on.. for my family.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I have no desire to sell my purple VR-4 or my Meister Blue ST-R. In fact I'll be giving the ST-R to my mum when my new custom painted green ST-R arrives. It is being converted from a 2000 VR-4 shell with a moonroof, as they only made prefacelift ST-R's from factory. TBH it is costing me more than some of the 2000 or later VR-4's on trademe but then it is getting a complete rebuild with new suspension parts, full cambelt change, etc etc.

I will be selling the Turquoise VR-4 shortly as I simply don't need it, the purple VR-4 will still be the long distance cruise, the car that turns up to club days and the track car, the 2000 ST-R will be my around town car and occaisional long trip car. Then I the company car for going to shopping centres and carrying dirty things like gearboxes and diffs!

Long term I can't see myself selling either of the two Legnums I will have shortly. Over here they aren't worth anything and I've just bought myself a house and can afford it perfectly ok along with the two cars.

G

Unregistered
well, for me it gets to that stage where ive owned the car for long enough that...
i cant afford any further modding and/or i just get bored of it any want to try something new,

im never in a rush to sell so if it doesn't its no big deal.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
considering sellin to buy/convert a 4g94mivec lancer coupe or a s13....then i figured i wouldnt be happy with ownin one of them soley so ill hav to buy one when i can afford to hav two cars

i love my galant. i still get a tingle lookin at it whenever i walk out from the servo etc

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I sold my 97 Legnum to upgrade to an 04 Liberty GT Wagon - nicer car and newer.
However, that being said, we are now considering another Legnum (this time facelift) as a 2nd car (i.e. 2 wagon family) just because we like wagons! :)

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
I've only ever sold my previous cars when I've had to...one to a lost job, one to a company car and the last because I bought the Legnum :)

I have no desire to sell anytime soon, it's just perfect for me and couldn't think of anything better to replace it with (except maybe a Legnum without problems).
Also, I've not really even started to modify it yet and really want to see what it can do

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I'm selling mine as I need a new ute for work :( But as soon as things pick up again, I'll definitely get a Legnum again. When that time comes though I'll definitely go Manual and get a sexy black one :)

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
Yeah, same here for the part that if i had to sell this car due to some reason, i will buy another one for sure, perhaps s2 for a change in silver.

I felt sort of sad when people are selling thier vr-4's...:sad:

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
I'll would maybe sell mine when i can get lotus exige, but I would probably keep it as my daily driver and keep the lotus for weekend.

If I manage to kill the engine or something ill see how i go putting a 4G63 into it

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
It seems that a lot of members are selling their VR-4s for financial reasons.

Some cite high fuel and maintenance costs, others want to get into property, and others still just want to stop the car loan repayments.

For me personally, I'll be holding on to the car for some time yet. Sure, the maintenance costs are higher than your "normal" car but the purchase costs are also low when you consider the kind of performance and practicality that you're getting wrapped into the one package.

Even if I decide to get something flashier, I'd still probably keep the VR-4 as the daily driver. For the price, it's hard to beat such a good all round package!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
when I've had my car for 5 years.. that's probably when I'll think about replacing it or upgrading the internals..

and of course.. its another Galant.. preferrably the last year model.. with manual & AYC..

I know it'll be hard to find & I'll just have to settle if what's out there..

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I was thinking about selling to get the money for a deposit for a property.. But then I changed my mind as I discovered I still loved it too much.. Then I crashed it :(

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
The only car i've ever had less than 5 years is my Veilside 180sx. I had it for ~15 months, but only sold it to build the current Sil80.

I understand if people think its expensive to run and it's a pain to work on. But man the driving experience it just awesome. I have no intention of selling the Leggy. In fact, i'll soon be rebuilding the motor....;) so it's not going anywhere.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
The VR4 was the only car out of 4 that I've owned for more than 12 months

Top Bottom