why are we selling our vr4s?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I want to sell mine. I think it is a good all round car and i know i will prob miss the space of the wagon but i just have no attachment to it at all.

I am really into my cars and the Legnum isn't enough for me.

I will be probably advertising mine in the next few months.

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
If someone else wants my VR4, they'd have to pry the keys from my cold, dead fingers. Never giving it up. Ever.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I want to sell mine. I think it is a good all round car and i know i will prob miss the space of the wagon but i just have no attachment to it at all.

I am really into my cars and the Legnum isn't enough for me.

I will be probably advertising mine in the next few months.

Advertise your coilovers my way :p

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I have been thinking about parting it out but just don't think i CBF. If i can find the parts easy then i will.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I have been thinking about parting it out but just don't think i CBF. If i can find the parts easy then i will.

I have stock suspension on my car; only thing is its my daily driver.

If you decide to part out :) please let me know

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I was selling to import a people mover but have decided that won't happen so keeping 2 legnums but a bit worried about what to get later on as there is nothing around the same price/performance

G

Unregistered
I know I have considered selling and going to something a little less expensive to maintain/run. .... But I soon came to my senses :)

So when you say they are expensive to maintain/run, what would you compare it to?

a run-of-the-mill commodore or similar Aussie car maybe?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
They use a little more petrol then a V6 commodore and if you break anything and needs parts they will be close to double that of a commodore.

Ive had my fair share of problems since buying my Legnum but still have not considered selling. When it is running properly, its just to damn good.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
So when you say they are expensive to maintain/run, what would you compare it to?

a run-of-the-mill commodore or similar Aussie car maybe?

Parts mostly; also being so picky with which oil you use in the gearbox etc (which as you all know is nothing short of expensive) not to mention the expense of a regular gearbox flush.

Fuel which is covered plenty of times on here is a major contributing factor; especially with the new commodores getting 800/850kms per tank.

In the end, the legnum was the best compromise between "family car" and "performance car" so it still fits the bill for a few years to come. Not to mention having awd and AYC for those nasty wet weather days; which IMO, makes it very safe for the family. (obviously depending on the driver :p )

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
They use a little more petrol then a V6 commodore and if you break anything and needs parts they will be close to double that of a commodore.

Ive had my fair share of problems since buying my Legnum but still have not considered selling. When it is running properly, its just to damn good.

I drove a VE Commodoor the other day and a New Falcon XR6 while swapping cars over at mums on Christmas. And even with the XR6 the ride quality and the general build quality pales in comparison to VR4. Even at 8 years their senior, not even close.

Just to give more depth to the topic :)

G

Unregistered
Honestly, I have had a pretty "bad run" with my car lately. Close to $5k spent on it, to see no performance increase (major service / timing belt / all engine mounts / belts / alternator x 2 / brakes / rear main seal is about to be replaced / needs lifters done). Having said that, I've had 80,000kms worth of driving out of it, and it has never actually broken down. I'm hoping that once the rear-main / lifters / anything else that decides to go wrong (I've replaced pretty much everything under the bonnet :p) are done, I will continue to enjoy the car - It's really nice to drive - very comfortable for someone who is quite tall + it fits all my music gear in it. What more could I want?
Not selling, because it owes me a small fortune. :)

Skurfer

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
EZTONV
I have been thinking a lot about selling mine. Had it for about 12 months now and really finding that i am not really into the fast car side of things anymore. Would really now rather get a Dual cab hilux or navara and start to do some camping/4WDing/hunting. Does not help that most of my mates have 4WDs and get out a fair bit.

Plus the worrying about losing my license if i have a bit of a brain fade, give the car a squirt and find the coppers on my tail or in the bushes. Really need my licence for fork and i dont really drive the car how it is intended. I dont think it has seen over 3k rpm since the twisties cruise all those months ago.

The only thing stopping me from selling is just the pain of selling. Having to put up with all the dreamers, joy riders, low ballers and dickheads. I have never had a nice time selling any of my cars and at the moment, i dont have the time to put up with all that.

Plus I am currently building a house, and renting at tthe same time, and having the extra cash lying around if i was to get a run around, with not having the high insurance costs, fuel costs and car loan costs would be great.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I don't think I'll sell mine for a while. It does everything I need it to do. At the moment, the only thing I think I'd sell it for is an Evo 5, but they still need to come down a few grand before I could afford one. Maybe a hardcore Civic or something too. The Galant is a pretty good balance between easy to own and fun to drive though, so it does the trick for now.

I generally sell cars because I want to try something new. Sold my old 626 Turbo because I wanted a Vipper, sold the Celsior because I wanted to try a FWD sports car, then sold the FTO because I wanted to try 4WD (and also because I'd wanted an 8g Galant for about 10 years).

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I sold my Grandpa simply as to me it felt like a waste of a car. With the kilometres it was reaching, it was going to start approaching some hefty servicing on particular parts which wasn't going to warrant my outlay to get it done when it spent most of its time cruising at 110km/h on freeways etc. Almost like overkill. Hence why I sold it & got the 2L-4cyl RVR.

Having said that, I now completely regret doing it & would gladly have it back in my hands. :love:

The Super is another story. There are tons of things I want to do to it, but I feel sacreligious to modify a Super when there are so few of them in the wild.
Financials will be the main reason to sell it. Finding a mint Red Super Galant will be another reason ;)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Seems like people over extend themselves to buy cars these days too... Hence a lot of people selling for "financial reasons". I guess that's just the mentality for everything though nowadays - spend every cent you have and then every cent the bank will lend.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I've unfortunately got an almost emotional attachment to Loki. Yes, I even gave mine a name and that doesn't really help should the time ever come to sell it.

I've always loved wagons and even though on paper what you could do with a StageA is cheaper, there's just this allure with the VR-4. I first saw them in Auckland back in 2003 on that infamous trip and I was smitten straight away.

The fact that it was going to be my wedding car was a no-brainer too.

I've had this attachment with all my cars. When I sold Seth (the 1995 TS Magna Wagon with Verada bits) which I'd owned for 11 years, a few mates were over for a farewell BBQ when the young kid and his family came to pick him up. It had been there through thick-and-thin. Seth would help with house moves, rescue people from their broken cars late at night, the scene of many a "dashboard confessional" pulled over the side of the road somewhere. It was a sad moment for ALL of us as it was driven away, the asthmatic sound of the 2.6L Astron with sports exhaust giving a sad goodbye as it faded into the distance, taking a lot of memories and good times with it.

Loki is the same. Katie finds it partially disturbing when I give him a scratch behind the ears (read: side mirrors) muttering "who's a good lad?". Anyone who's seen me board a plane will witness me pat the side, whispering "keep us safe" before I duck my head and enter the cabin. I talk to Diablo (my mountain bike) whilst I re-oil the cranks/gears and tighten brake cables/change the pads.

I've always loved and had a child-like wonder about anything mechanical. Maybe I should get checked out in the head sometime :D

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Ive been toying with the idea of selling recently too, its been 2.5 years and it feels like time for a change. That and the cost of modifying gets me down a bit.

but then i think of the practicality, the agility and how modified it already is and how much id have to spend on the next car to get comparable handling.

But then i go on and think about how much i loved the v35 and how nice it would be to have a fun, chuckable rwd coupe. But then id be driving a far more common car and miss the 'I drive a legnum' - 'a what?' conversations

*sigh* decisions, decisions

Top Bottom