why are we selling our vr4s?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Sold mine as it looked like I may have been in some serious financial trouble (No fault of my own might I add) but it all blew over hence keeping one for a while :)

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Exhaust pipe sex. No more to be said.

I'll sell the galant when I have the disposable income to run something better.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Ive been toying with the idea of selling recently too, its been 2.5 years and it feels like time for a change. That and the cost of modifying gets me down a bit.

but then i think of the practicality, the agility and how modified it already is and how much id have to spend on the next car to get comparable handling.

But then i go on and think about how much i loved the v35 and how nice it would be to have a fun, chuckable rwd coupe. But then id be driving a far more common car and miss the 'I drive a legnum' - 'a what?' conversations

*sigh* decisions, decisions

"v35" and "chuckable" dont belong in the same sentance

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Would only really consider selling my Leggy for an EVO 6 or 7 in a year or two but I know i'd miss it like crazy. They have everything I wanted in a new car...AWD, good looks, great power, comfy interior and the service/running costs aren't as bad as I thought they would be. And i just love owning what i consider the sexiest looking wagons i've ever seen...sure beats a local Commy or Ford wagon.
The cops not taking any notice of me and the sleeper factor also are a big reason why i love these cars. It's cool to have someone ask what car it is, instead of driving the same boring cars as everyone else.

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Put mine on ebay today. No hurry to sell but if it gets the right money i'll take it. The reason im selling is things have been tight of late but we are surviving quiet well but if things get tougher i would like to know we can cruise through it rather than just get by. Also i got choped by an s15 the other day. 1st and 2nd i had it easy but i think it was still boosting hit third and i may aswell been parked it past me that quickly. makes me wanna purchase something with a 4g63 or sr20 that i can modify for cheap.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
I dont see why getting beaten by a car makes you want to sell it. No matter what you do there'll be something faster out there...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I dont see why getting beaten by a car makes you want to sell it. No matter what you do there'll be something faster out there...

It probably illustrates another reason for people selling though. If I didn't have my Silvia to go fast in I would probably be thinking about selling the Galant, as VR4s aren't particularly fast cars without a fair bit of money and stuffing around.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
0-100 in just below 6 seconds seems pretty quick to me, and thats stock. It's not like these cars are slow Tim, I mean even today, nearly 14 years since the first 8th gen came out that 0-100 sprint time is still pretty damn respectable...and if we're talking corners these cars definitely don't muck around. They might be slow compared to say a highly modded S15/Silvia/Skyline but in a general sense they're pretty quick, even comparing to some of todays performance cars.
But i see your point, they are one of the best daily drivers i can think of but definitely aren't the focused track weapon some people are after :)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
If I wanted to go faster I'd get a second car just for going faster. If I could afford it. The VR-4 is a one-car-does-all and it does it all pretty damn well.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I guess some people think 206kw 6 cyl twin turbo 4WD = Skyline GTR. When it doesn't, maybe people get disappointed. I'm on record as being slightly disappointed with the performance of my Galant, but not enough to want to get rid of it.

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
I sold mine due to the fact that to have it how i wanted , i would have to spend Alot of time r/d wise to make it how i want.

i loved the car , but yeah.
They are a pricey car to keep going and if something does fail , its Exxy!!

Oh , and the fact that i wanted Rwd.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
For me, I'd be missing the point of the VR-4 if I wanted a ball tearing, fast car.

If I was after a circuit racer or drag monster, then I should have bought an Evo or a light weight RWD car that was well supported by the aftermarket (been there and done that).

However, I was after an affordable (to buy, not necessarily to run!), practicable, comfortable, refined car that could do the daily grind as well as the occasional blast through some nice, twisty roads. Also, I didn't want anything with the hoon factor look or stigma of say, a WRX. In this respect, the VR-4 is perfect - a jack of most trades if you will.

Sure, an Evo is quicker. However, it's also noisier, harder riding, has higher levels of NVH and carries its own hassles of being known as a fast car.

For a unique and practical performance experience, our cars are hard to beat. You only need to look at the number of new members trading in their GT-Rs, GT-Ts etc to get into a VR-4 as proof! Besides, as someone else has pointed out, the VR-4 isn't exactly a slow car and would beat more cars on the road than it would be beaten by.

Horses for courses. Just make sure you buy the right horse for your course!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I do like the honest opinions and the experiences being shared here :)

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Lol i started something now. Getting smashed by the s15 is definately not a sole reason 4 thinking of selling the Galant it just inspired me 2 try for something i could mod easily and cheaply in comparison to the VR4. As for handling ride comfort power safety these cars have to be the best value for money i say we should up the price on them they are such a bargain nothing compares.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!

So true...

Also i got choped by an s15 the other day. 1st and 2nd i had it easy but i think it was still boosting hit third and i may aswell been parked it past me that quickly.

You have to remember that really, the only advantage you/we have over a modded RWD is the launch. An S15 with boost+exh+ic make around 190-200RWKW couple that with a awesome light body and you have a 12sec car. We would need 220-240 AWKW (and Manual) to compete in a rolling start situation, with an S15 for example.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
Seems like people over extend themselves to buy cars these days too... Hence a lot of people selling for "financial reasons". I guess that's just the mentality for everything though nowadays - spend every cent you have and then every cent the bank will lend.
i really would like to meet you and learn how to manage money:sneaky2:

once again, as long as my leggie serves its purposes - fast enough to surprise stock wrx with chromies, fits all my family members, carries lots of shopping bags and take me to the fishing, i am keeping this car

if i want a fast car, yes, i will get a evo or something

Do i want my car to be faster? for what? bit of tuning and all that is ok but at the moment, it is fast enough to have bit of fun. really almost any car can do faster than GTR if you give your performance tuner a blank cheque.

i would never want my car to be one of the fastest car on the road and kick 90% the s14,15 and GTR's ass and lalala.. I have a family and street drag is fastest way to make my wife a widow.

A more interesting test would be to see how many of those people still own a VR4 in 12-18 months.

Would you like to be the proof of your own statement? just kidding. keep it.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
i really would like to meet you and learn how to manage money:sneaky2:

Keep several thousand in the bank as a buffer in case something goes wrong, and borrow about half to one third of what I can afford to repay. Wouldn't have thought that was rocket science. I actually didn't borrow to buy the Galant. I saved. You do realise that Australia has one of the highest personal debt levels in the world yeah? That's what I was talking about...

really almost any car can do faster than GTR if you give your performance tuner a blank cheque

The blank cheque part is something that could turn a lot of people off a VR4. They are hideously expensive to modify. Have a look at the price of an intercooler kit to start with... If someone bought one with the expectation of it being a real performance car, the cost of modification could get seriously disheartening once they got bored with the stock power.

Would you like to be the proof of your own statement? just kidding. keep it.

I didn't sell a fast car to get my Galant. I sold an FTO. Which, truth be told, I do miss a bit from time to time. But the Galant is nicer.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I actually didn't borrow to buy the Galant. I saved. You do realise that Australia has one of the highest personal debt levels in the world yeah? That's what I was talking about...

I hate owing money. My mortgage is the only "permanent" debt that I have (ie. can't be paid off within a month). I borrowed money to buy a car once, but have purchased three cars since then, all with saved-up cash.

I didn't sell a fast car to get my Galant. I sold an FTO. Which, truth be told, I do miss a bit from time to time. But the Galant is nicer.

I miss my BG Astina. The Leggie is a much more practical and faster car but the Astina was so chuckable.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
I hate owing money too. i had two mortgages then i sold one property, came down to one. i borrowed money do buy my wifes car (had cash but better off with the tax reasons). Ah.. when would i ever be debt free. bloody mortgage. I know what you guys are thinking. pay it off faster. well.. it is an investment property anyway.. Untill the rainy day comes, i am keeping my leggie. Rainy really means rainy. Not just loosing job, but loosing arms and legs

http://www.google.com/search?q=radi...t:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Top Bottom