why are we selling our vr4s?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I know i wont be selling my legnum anytime soon...

In the year ive owned the $11000 car im close to matching that in repairs.
i hear literally every day to sell it from someone but i love it too much and love the uniqueness of it and also know im just losing a=out on nearly $20g if i sell it with the current market (i'd be lucky to get $8k i think)
11k in reapairs, what have you done for that?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Cars always depreciate unless you are lucky enough to get a collectible model. So there is no point lamenting the eventual resale price - just enjoy the car and drive it until you decide (or are forced) to get something else.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I thin k that yes it's expensive to mod our cars for big power, not withstanding the new $3000ish bolt on turbo set up being developed recently, but.. Our cars are mostly $6-8000 less than buying an Evo which with small bolt ons at 200kw@wheels. If you spend that on our cars you's be getting close in terms of cost but in a much rarer package. The last 2 legnum on here with approx 200kw@wheels sold for $5k and $12k, adding the 3-4k for the new turbo upgrade and you wuoldn't even afford a decent Evo V. Just my 2c

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
The reason i thought about selling mine is because there is no easy do it yourself bolt on power mods. Custom everything is needed to upgrade a lot of things. Plus with tracking in mind i wanted something people knew more about but in the end i gave up because i was struggling to get offers around what i wanted.

In a nutshell they are great cars but there isnt much you can do with them/many people who know what they are doing with them (read tuning).

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I considered selling, then got beat up by an kangaroo, had $4k magically appear in my bank account as a result and decided to go to town on the car instead. I got an opportunity to make the car MINE - properly unique. Can't see myself selling it now.

I don't need it to be crazy fast or crazy nimble as I'm lucky enough to have other cars that I can do that stuff with (just as soon as they both work again...). So I don't have the problems with the cost of modification.

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
I sold mine because I had too many toys! Had Galant/Legnums for almost 10 years now and I think it's time to move on! Wouldn't have sold to any low baller, got what I've asked for and I'm happy that she is in good hands again!

Lissa

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Larissa
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi legnum
Well I can't wait to GET mine next week :) don't need to go crazy with mods will be an awesome daily for me. Nothing better then hearing a turbo spool :p

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
The reason i thought about selling mine is because there is no easy do it yourself bolt on power mods. Custom everything is needed to upgrade a lot of things. Plus with tracking in mind i wanted something people knew more about but in the end i gave up because i was struggling to get offers around what i wanted.

In a nutshell they are great cars but there isnt much you can do with them/many people who know what they are doing with them (read tuning).

Pretty much exactly why I went the way that I did.

Sure I could have sunk money into the Leggie and the 6A13TT, heads, pistons, turbos etc. but it was always limited. It went quick around the street and handled amazingly but when it got down to it something with a 20B/RB26/RB30/2JZ just made a whole lot more sense.

jgrov2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jared
Drive
J-Spec 1997 Galant VR4
I understand you can put money into anything and it will go fast but I have to agree with the last few posts to upgrade certain components it's got to be custom made which drives the price up not to mention requires testing and development to achieve optimum efficiency and constant tuning to keep everything happy.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
@Brad.. maybe I should get some emblems made up.. that states

___VR4____
Medium Rare

I reckon that would annoy other drivers :D

wil

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wil
Drive
99 Leggy
Lucky for me i came from an evo to my leggy! There is a evo v for sale just under 8k (http://www.evolutionoz.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75499)

Why i sold the evo:
- Hard to drive in traffice with a heavy clutch
- Wife can't drive manual
- Getting really common, seening alot more of them
- Cops (on thurs/fri night coming home from the city, sometimes i go pass 2 booze bus with Vic Roads)

Pros on leggy:
- Heaps more room
- Auto
- Less common/sleeper

In saying thou, aftermarket parts are abit more expensive and very limited. But for the time been, i am still very happy with it!

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
Mines for sale only because Pete more or less talked me into it and the fact that we have the Evo for a fix and some spirited driving was the only reason I agreed.
His reason was that we sell it before their not worth anything anymore and it's getting on in age.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
The only reason why mine is still here is that I cant justify the price difference for an evo 10/audi S4...

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
If you want performance then an Evo is always the go but when you become an old bastard like me with children e.t.c life in general becomes a compromise, including practability of your car. Sadly to reflect these days for example I generally feel too embarrassed/childish to do clutch dumps from the lights how I loved to do in my Evo back in the day (late 90's). The VR4 is nice and subtle too and great bang for your buck as mentionned above. Maybee when I retire I might go full circle back to an Evo...

Top Bottom