why are we selling our vr4s?

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
So the question now is what am i going to get and i can't decide Maloo Ute or Hilux? :p

Keep the VR4, buy an old beat-up trade special. Best of both worlds.

But if you HAVE to, i'd go the 'Lux, or better yet, D40 Navara, they're cheaper to buy, and overall for what you pay, you get more...

I am slightly biased though!:p

My boss operates out of an XR8 ute, and he hates it. I run a crew from the back of my Navara and carry three other bloke's tools, a generator, 9" grinder, circular saw, laser level, half a ton of crap i dont even use, and still have room to spare. Plus if i really need the extra room, the rear seats fold up. Twin cab 4x4s are the way to go, especially if you're carrying a bucketload of tools. And its so much more comfortable to drive, and still handles fairly well, for what it is. The VQ40DE 4ltr V6 is smooth enough and quite powerful as well, i surprise many a dickhead in a V6 commodore ("WTF that fourby just wasted me?")
Good stock sound system, too.

My 2 c

G

Unregistered
i'd only sell mine if i got fed up with fixing it all the time, its starting to blow white smoke... which extends the money pit

G

Unregistered
Yeah mine started blowing blue smoke, turbo seal was packing it...

So bought N1's...

then needed bigger injectors...

and fuel pump...

and EBC...

and coilpack...

and intercooler...

it just doesn't stop!

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Also, id dare say quite a few would agree cheaper performance is probably better performance. So many mods are focused on bang for buck. yes the legnum itself is great bang for buck but as soon as you go after greater HP, you need much more $$$ than it takes to modify a 'popular route'.

And hence why some people may have sold up and moved on
Exactly. You're absolutely right, Dion.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
heh...i'll never sell mind and I intend to put more money on it. If any part of the car broke, then fix it. You may have to pay big money but it will paid off on a long run. Once all parts were replace for newer parts, that gives the car more lifespan.

People having performance these days expects the car wont have issues. DING DING, wake up to the reality that the more you mod to get that power the more prone to get it damage.

And I bet that some of you will agree that the reason why your car is costing you more is because you don't look after car enough. Hell, i spent a little few hundreds of dollars into my car and I haven't had any issues until now because I do look after my car patienty.

***sigh***

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Just out of curiosity What other performance car can you get for around $12000 thats 1999 or newer. I'm just thinking performance versus cost. If i mod my car with $8000 worth of mods ($20k total expense) wouldn't it be faster/ same as spending $15-$18k on a car and $2-5k making that one faster. I don't know much about the prices of performance bits for any cars really, just wondering

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
My guess would be an R34 GTT Auto Sedan for around $14k, manual say $15-16k? Take a manual for $16k + $4k of aftermarket bolt ons and fair chance it would be quicker than a VR4 - but I'll let the nissan guru's fill you in ;)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Just out of curiosity What other performance car can you get for around $12000 thats 1999 or newer. I'm just thinking performance versus cost. If i mod my car with $8000 worth of mods ($20k total expense) wouldn't it be faster/ same as spending $15-$18k on a car and $2-5k making that one faster. I don't know much about the prices of performance bits for any cars really, just wondering

That's sort of a false distinction though. Why does it have to be so new? A more telling comparison would be what cars can you get with better performance for up to $12k. That opens up the field a lot. Then you're looking at picking up an S14 or an R33 or something for around $10k, spending that spare $10k on it, and having 200-250rwkw, handling, etc.

I do think that the VR4 is great value for money as a compromise option, but if you're after straight out performance there are better value for money options, and if you're after straight out day-to-day comfort & reliability there are better value options too (did someone say Toyota Celsior?).

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Depends on what you want though. The VR-4 is greatly more comfortable than an S14 or R33 and is best suited as a tourer with power

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Brad and steve, i couldnt agree more on what you both have said hence I could not see myself selling my car.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
i am looking in to buy ecu and get it flashed at the moment, and when i get it, i probably sell my s-AFC-I. which means i am not selling my leggie for a while.

jgrov2

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jared
Drive
J-Spec 1997 Galant VR4
I'm fighting myself inside. I love the galant and the unique-ness of it. I love the room it has. But I find myself contemplating an Evo. Sure the Galant is fast and blows most of the road. But I wanna go faster and the cost of modding a Galant vs the cost of modding an Evo seems to weigh up heavy in favor of the Evo. But I hate the go fast street racer stigma attached to the Evo. But I wanna go faster :(. Please give me some pros and cons help me decide cause I'm torn at the moment can't make a decision.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Sorry cant help you there mate..Loved my legnum but want an Evo badly..currently saving up for it..IMO it looks good and has the potential to keep up with $100,000 audi & BMW's and in terms of modifying is kinda limitless..Always wanted one and hopefully I'll be able to afford one in the near future..

If I were you I would get into an Evo..they are as common as toyotas or anything..

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
depends on your school of thought. it wouldnt be hard to make a vr4 actually fast (like there quick with 200kw at the tyres, but over 300kw im talking) but cause you cant buy something from ebay to do so most people are deterred.

if you like bolt on stuff and just picking stuff from a catalogue the evo is for you.
if you wanna be different and the vr4 is for you.
if you want an easy road, the evo is for you.
if you like a challenge, the vr4 is for you
if you want the best car out there, the evo is not for you, cause someone will build something badder 5minutes after you think your done.

it all depends what you want from the car. ask yourself, what do you want the car to do and how far are you willing to go for it?

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
I know i wont be selling my legnum anytime soon...

In the year ive owned the $11000 car im close to matching that in repairs.
i hear literally every day to sell it from someone but i love it too much and love the uniqueness of it and also know im just losing a=out on nearly $20g if i sell it with the current market (i'd be lucky to get $8k i think)

Top Bottom