why are we selling our vr4s?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Opinions are like arse holes - everyone has one ;)

No one is saying that anyone else's opinion is incorrect. However, as both Brads have pointed out, most reasonable people would have some commonality on what a good daily driver is and isn't.

It doesn't take a genius' opinion to work out that a 2 litre, rally and race bred rocket primarily available with a manual transmission, is going to have a hard time being a better daily driver for most reasonable people when compared with a 2.5 litre TT luxury express with a widespread auto option. Then again, other geniuses have the opinion that a good daily driver might be one where they "have to worry about cops" ;)

Common sense (and opinion) just aren't very common these days ;)

There's a lot of things that "most people" think that are stupid though... There's rarely intellectual strength in numbers. "Most people" think autos are better to drive, for instance. Hell, I could list about a hundred things that "most people" voted for for 13 years or whatever it was that were stupid. But that'd take things even further off topic.

Also, if you're following, you'll remember I said I'd be happy to drive my Silvia daily if I didn't have to worry about cops.

I thought to myself earlier that you and I should set up a section where we could just post things we disagree about. Then I realised we have one. It is called ozvr4.com...

But anyway, if we can stroll leisurely back to the point, this thread was about why people were selling their cars. I have simply suggested that some people might have done so as they had realised after spending some time with their VR4 that there were better cars for them. Now, if that's seen as controversial this forum is the most one-eyed community on the face of the planet.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
There's rarely intellectual strength in numbers. "Most people" think autos are better to drive, for instance.

As a manual driver myself, even I can understand that an auto VR-4 probably makes a better daily driving proposition than a manual Evo, particularly in traffic. This understanding requires no opinion and no intellectual consensus - it's just common sense, which as I've alluded to, seems to be lacking these days ;)

if you're following, you'll remember I said I'd be happy to drive my Silvia daily if I didn't have to worry about cops.

The fact that this instant-lack-of-common-sense-gentleman Silvia is a cop magnet tends to suggest that it's not a great daily driver. A car is not a good daily driver if you can drive it daily but only if an inherent characteristic (flaw?) in the car is disregarded.

But anyway, if we can stroll leisurely back to the point

Finally, something we agree on!

When we take this leisurely stroll, can we also not forget our common sense hats? ;)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I like you a lot Bruce, if you're ever over here we will share a beer together :D

For sure, and my shout too!

Can we take the daily driver down to the pub? ;)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
instant-lack-of-common-sense-gentleman Silvia

Lolzors you finally get why I love my car so much. :D If I may paraphrase Super Nintendo Chalmers for a moment, "common sense has no place around imports. Just like facts have no place within organised religion".

To put this particular sideshow to bed, a good daily for anyone, regardless of gender, age, amount of common sense or toenail odour, is something that they enjoy driving day to day. For me, and for a lot of other people, that enjoyment often comes from the act of driving itself. A superior driver's car, therefore, can often be a superior daily. Regardless of how bumpy or noisy that car may be. A number of members, whether that number is 1 or 100, may therefore have sold their VR4 because they wanted a superior driver's car.

Common sense or not, that's the truth.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Hmmm, ask me when I'm driving through the twisties carving it up like nothing else, then YES, but ask me after I drove down Parrammata rd at 40 cause my I think my teeth are going to fall out, then NO...

Its all about the compromise...

Anthony.

I think you've really hit the nail on the head with the above comment.

If my daily drive involves chasing V8 utes through smooth twisties with no traffic, no cops and no pot holes, I reckon an Evo would make a better daily than the VR-4.

I'm betting though, that unfortunately, most people's daily driving is more akin to chasing Camrys on Parramatta Road at 40 - lol!

Regarding your fuel economy question, I just filled up today and recorded 11.1L/100klm. I tend to average around the 11-12L/100klm mark but my car is stock and I don't drive like a P plater (much). My best was 8.51L coasting in 5th on the highway.

Factor in anywhere between 10-15L/100klm for every day normal driving.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Tim.

Just let us know when you decide to trade in the Silvia for a Lotus Elise version R, super dooper supercharged, slick tyred, track spec edition, as a daily. As you say, being a superior driver's car, the Lotus obviously makes a better daily ;)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Dude. Blinkers. Off.

Read.

EDIT: Also would never trade my car for Eurotrash. :LOL:

sart0ri

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 VR-4 Galant
I'm with you Tim, driving a comfortable, automatic car is boring and makes me sad. We are not wrong, but we are a very small minority. I drive my twin plate clutch, 214rwkw Galant to work every day at a crawl in stop/start traffic, and I hate it when I have to do the same drive in my Lexus IS200.

G

Unregistered
Lolzors you finally get why I love my car so much. :D If I may paraphrase Super Nintendo Chalmers for a moment, "common sense has no place around imports. Just like facts have no place within organised religion".

To put this particular sideshow to bed, a good daily for anyone, regardless of gender, age, amount of common sense or toenail odour, is something that they enjoy driving day to day. For me, and for a lot of other people, that enjoyment often comes from the act of driving itself. A superior driver's car, therefore, can often be a superior daily. Regardless of how bumpy or noisy that car may be. A number of members, whether that number is 1 or 100, may therefore have sold their VR4 because they wanted a superior driver's car.

Common sense or not, that's the truth.

Amen to that, We're all here cause we enjoy our cars, we enjoy the look of them, in most of your cases the looks you get on people's faces when you tell them what car it is... But most of all we enjoy DRIVING them...

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I think we need to start a thread for people who always need to be right. And ban them from posting anywhere else.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
A thread just for Tim and I? A barrel of laughs ... lol!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
A thread just for Tim and I? A barrel of laughs ... lol!

We've tried that, but I get bored reading through giant posts and say something stupid and flippant, then you take me too seriously, then you get angry/personal and try to hide it with a ;), then I try and be serious again, then you send me negative rep, then I get bored again, then it gets locked.

All in good fun but. Wouldn't change it for the world. Every Superhero needs a Supervillain nemesis. It could even be said that you complete me. :LOL:

Top Bottom