Will an EVO X SST gear knob fit on a Galant VR-4?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
As per the title.

On first appearances, it would seem to fit as it is a 10mm x 1.25 thread pattern.

Assuming it is a direct screw on, are there any other potential issues with this swap? For example, might the SST gear knob not be designed to be used in the same way as a manual gear knob because the SST is primarily operated via steering wheel paddles? Is the SST gear knob height not quite right for a convenitional manual stick? Etc.

The Evo X SST gear knob can be found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Evo-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Id say that would be fine. Only problem might be that it sits higher making your throws slightly longer

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Thanks Matt.

The reason that I am interested in the Evo X DSG gear knob is because the thread pattern seems to match our cars; it's a leather knob; and it will cost around $40 delivered to the door.

A lot of other gear knobs I've seen:

a) are metal, which as you can imagine, will be unpleasant on hot days;

b) are "universal fit" by way using cheap looking plastic adaptors rather than being the threaded screw type; or

c) cost an arm and a leg for what is essentially a ball of plastic or metal (some fancy titanium knobs are nearly $300!).

The alternative to the Evo X DSG knob is the Ralliart gear knob, for around $70. Given the $30 price saving (and assuming it is a good fit and works well), the Evo X knob looks good value. My only previously stated concern is that the SST knob might not work well as an old skool manual knob.

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Let us know how it goes as mine is worn pretty badly and this one looks neat

Cheers
Tomas

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I am confused, is this for the AT or MT? If it is for the AT i would love one!

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
It's a knob, so it'd fit both. The problem is it's not LEGAL to have a knob with no shift pattern on a manual.

That said, it's a nice knob (no homo :D)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
No problems Tomas and Tom.

The cost of shipping a single Evo X knob from the US to here is almost half the cost of the knob itself! So if you gents want to have a punt with me on one of these knobs, we can save a considerable amount on combined shipping. If we get more than 1 knob, I'll also have a go at seeing if the supplier is willing to do a discount. Just let me know.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Does it include the boot?

Trevor, as the listing does not specify that the boot is included, it would be safe to assume that there will be no boot.

Nearly all of the gear knobs on Ebay that I've seen do not include the boot, unless the seller is flogging the factory knob with the boot because they've replaced their own with aftermarket items.

Nevertheless, even without the boot, getting a new, stitched, leather Evo X knob delivered for $40 is a bargain compared to what I've seen.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
It's a knob, so it'd fit both. The problem is it's not LEGAL to have a knob with no shift pattern on a manual.

I'm don't know whether the knob will fit the auto transmission.

What I do know is that if the auto transmission has a lock out or overdrive button (i.e. a button you need to press on the knob itself), then this is not likely to fit.

I am led to believe that the knob thread on the manuals is 10mm x 1.25, which is the same as this Evo X knob. This is why I suspect that it will be a direct screw on.

I'm not convinced by those universal knobs with the plastic adaptors. My preference is for the knob to be as firm as possible (how gay did that just sound?!), so nothing but a straight screw will do it for me (that sounded pretty gay too!).

Matt, you are correct in that technically, the manual knob must have a shift pattern indicator on it (probably so dunces don't try and put your Galant into 6th). However:

a) I have seen many knobs without the pattern and suspect that the odds of being pulled up for it are very low; and

b) other knobs get around this by including a shift pattern sticker that you add on the knob. Even the genuine Ralliart knob comes with a sticker. You can also separately buy the sticker on Ebay.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Ahh ok... well I guess a stickied knob is better than no knob, eh?

This thread is soooo manly, being filled with knob and all ;)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Stickied knob? Filled with knob? Am I on the right forum?! Lol!!!

Check this out for a laugh.

Out of curiousity, I wanted to know how much Mitsubishi charges for this genuine knob:

http://www.knoxmitsubishi.com/accessories/sports-gear-shift

The answer will surprise you:

> I have the gearknob instock, which is $339.00.
> there is also a 30 minute fittment time which is $55.

!!!!!!!

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
If the group buy starts up my knob is hell worn so i'll join ya. I like this one.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
No problems Matt.

I will add an extra knob to my order so we can do something about your worn knob (!).

You have PM.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Haha Cyber, that's damn ridickulous...

Matt, maybe if you kept your hand off it, it wouldn't wear out so quick :p

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
The gear knob has arrived just in time (a day before the car arrived).

As you can see from the first picture, the knob arrived in what appears to be a genuine Mitsubishi box, complete with part number and "made in Japan" reference. For the little money I paid for it, I'm guessing it's probably a Hyundai part number and made in Taiwan!

The gear knob itself was surprisingly smaller than what it appeared like on the original listing. One of my concerns was that the knob would be too big (not many people complain about that). However, it's just the right size.

Installation was piss easy. It took literally 15 seconds to screw the knob on. No tools or expertise is required - even a nob could do it (sorry, couldn't help myself!). The only tricky bit is ensuring that the stiching lines up parallel to the driver. It took a few goes at screwing it in at varying radiuses before I got it right.

So, how does it feel to use? Great! It feels good in the hand. Small enough so you don't feel like your holding the end of a cane but large enough so that you still have a good grip on the knob.

The only major downside is that the knob doesn't have a shift pattern on it. It's not really a big issue when you drive your own car. However, given the short gearing of the manuals, I can foresee how a mechanic or other test pilot might try and put it into 6th.

Overall, it's an excellent knob, especially given that it cost about $30 all up (including shipping!). For those who want to do a replacement knob on the cheap but not feel cheap, this knob might be for you.

Attachments

• Gear knob 1.jpg
    Gear knob 1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 31
  • Gear knob 2.jpg
    Gear knob 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 33
  • Gear knob 3.jpg
    Gear knob 3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Gear knob 4.jpg
    Gear knob 4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Gear knob 5.jpg
    Gear knob 5.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 40

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
looks the biscuits bruce, is it weighted?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That looks just like the EVO 8/9 manual gear knob. I've just put one of those into my Turquoise VR-4. The main difference is that the 8/9 one is for a manual car so it has the H pattern on it.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
looks the biscuits bruce, is it weighted?

Not sure Paul. However, holding the knob in my hand shows that it wegihs more than its appearance would suggest.

I've got a Tomei Duracon knob on the way (long story) so am keen to see how this Evo X cheapie compares.

Top Bottom