Will doing a ECU reset screw with my alarm / immobiliser?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
As topic.

I want to do the ECU reset thing, but I have NFI about my Vortex alarm... does it have an immobilisers etc. I'm worried if I reset the battery that my alarm might immobilize and need a reset or something I don't know how to do?

What do you recon?

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hey Hugh,

AFAIK, this will not cause any harms when you diconnect you battery due to alarms has pre-programmed before installation and you are not resetting the alarm module itself. So you are safe.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Just make sure the alarm is Disabled before you disconnect the battery. If you alarm auto-immobilises after 30-40 seconds. hit the disarm button Just before you remove the lead from the battery terminal ;)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Yep, since a lot of alarms have some form of internal battery backup :)

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
ironically, my wifes car's alarm is stuffed and can not turn it off. if i open to door, it will go off. can turn turn the engine on but.. i was thinking disconection the battery and drain the back up.. but after reading this, i will take it to the electrician.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I did it no trouble. I dunno if fuel economy has improved, probably has a little already.

I've done 170k on less than 1/2 a tank... but you can't trust the guage. I'll throw my results in the fuel consumption thread when the tank is done.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
ironically, my wifes car's alarm is stuffed and can not turn it off. if i open to door, it will go off. can turn turn the engine on but.. i was thinking disconection the battery and drain the back up.. but after reading this, i will take it to the electrician.

I doubt if the auto electrician will be able to help, unless it's a wiring problem. If the problem lies in the alarm modules your best bet is taking it to an installer and they'll most likely say to remove it and replace it with one that they sell.
Good luck hope you can get it sorted.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
thanks pete.. got my wife's car sorted. could not get to the main box due to complexity of the console (bloody german engineers) so i called the merc dealer and they cound not help. so i pluged tissues in my ears and disassembled the alarm which was near the engine.. aaarh..the pain.. took me 20 min's.. still echoing

Clown

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
Was a 1997 Legnum (R.I.P) now a 1996 NJ Pajero
when my ecu got changed to the haltech e11 I lost the noise...it doesnt beep when it locks or unlocks ...and when the panic alarm goes off there's still no noise... What's up with that? I thought RPW cut the wire to my siren but they said they didnt...

Top Bottom