Window Tint

leekscurlock

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lee
Drive
VR4 Legnum
Hey Josh I still recomend tint-a-car, ant and myself went to myaree, they were good and fast and are pretty well priced , a really nice bunch as well, i would go back straight back to them if i needed another car tinted.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I can highly recommend Trent at TKO in East Vic Park, he did 35% on the fronts and a UV filter on the privacy glass (what the dark glass on the rear glass in Japanese cars is called) for me all for just $300.

A couple of things of note - apparently there is NO UV filter on the stock glass, so if you feel yourself getting burnt or think your car gets abnormally hot, you're right - get a UV filtering film on all your glass.

Its also not possible to add tint (including a UV filter, unfortunately) to the moonroof glass. Because the glass is already tinted and it sits horizontally, if you add a tinted film to the underside of the glass the tint will reflect sunlight, which will be reabsorbed by the glass ('cause it's tinted). This will cause the glass to heat up as it's unable to dissipate the heat as quickly as it's being absorbed. As the glass heats, it will attempt to expand, but because it's held in a rigid metal frame it has nowhere to go and thus will crack. So don't get anyone to tint your moonroof or it might end in tears.

G

Unregistered
devo, i thought tinting the moonroof was going to be an awesome idea!

dammit!!

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Tinted my front windows for 140$ at Tint-a-car in Myaree - 20%

With polarized sunnies you can see the UV-filter at the front windows and I can confirm what Trevor said, no UV filters at the rears!

G

Unregistered
im booked in for 16% on fronts and 42% (UV filter) on rear glass for monday.

any pix of the 35% trev?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Its also not possible to add tint (including a UV filter, unfortunately) to the moonroof glass. Because the glass is already tinted and it sits horizontally, if you add a tinted film to the underside of the glass the tint will reflect sunlight, which will be reabsorbed by the glass ('cause it's tinted). This will cause the glass to heat up as it's unable to dissipate the heat as quickly as it's being absorbed. As the glass heats, it will attempt to expand, but because it's held in a rigid metal frame it has nowhere to go and thus will crack. So don't get anyone to tint your moonroof or it might end in tears.

you might want to let christian know this :p

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
im booked in for 16% on fronts and 42% (UV filter) on rear glass for monday.

any pix of the 35% trev?
Reg that's gonna look AWESOME man! I just can't afford the inconvenience of being put off the road by cops :(

Might have some pics in a day or so ;)

you might want to let christian know this :p
Tell him to keep it out of the sun ;)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Hmm no UV on the rear hey. I didn't realise this.

Also what have you guys heard about windscreen tinting? Is it illegal?

Clearly convenient if you wanted privacy while parking somewhere.... You wouldn't get it done in 20% because at night it would really obscure vision to much, maybe 50% though..

Thoughts?

I'll have to get a price on the UV tint on the rears, thanks Trev. I didn't even think of that.

G

Unregistered
ANY tint on front is illegal apart from either the top 5% or 10% (cant remember which one) strip across the top (which is where i have noticed heaps of you eastern states guys have your 'banner' sticker. at least this is what i got told when i put 15% mirror tint on my windscreen for autosalon a few years ago

yeh trev, i only drive my car for fun purposes, i.e there is no A-B element, so it doesnt bother me if i get a sticker or harrassed as i only drive it on weekends anyway.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
The law relating to tint (in WA, but other states are similar) is thus: any modification to the glass in all non-forward facing windows may not reduce the visibility down below 35% of natural light. Forward-facing windscreens may not be tinted AT ALL with the exception of the top 10%, which may be as dark as you like.

Some people have said to me they thought you could completely black out the rear windows as long as you didn't go below 35% on the fronts - this is incorrect. The only time rear windows can go below the 35% limit is when the vehicle didn't originally come with windows from the factory or the rear window isn't visible from the driver's cabin (such as in the case of a van or truck, ie it serves no purpose for driver visibility).

As VR4's have privacy glass which is already 20%, adding ANY tinting to those is technically illegal. However both TKO and CurrentTrendz have assured me they have never heard of anyone being booked for light tint on privacy glass for UV purposes when they've had legal (35%) fronts.

G

Unregistered
man that kid can take a good photo!

but yeh, tint looks high quality.

G

Unregistered
could u get away with realy dark rear's if u pull " privacy glass" or if not realy dark ... darker at all . i know trev said its as dark as it can legaly go at the moment ... but would it be worth a try ?

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
defeats the purpose of windows doesnt it

if you tint the other windows it lets less light in and makes the rears darker,but if you realy wanted them darker again,i guess you could,it would be illegal but most things are,and on a twin turbod car i doubt theyd look at tint

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I had a cop threaten to get his film out a couple of weeks ago, but he couldn't find it so told me I was 'lucky'. I told him the fronts are 35% and the rears are factory privacy glass so made no difference, but because I applied ANYTHING to the rear glass he could have defected the car over it, which would possibly have meant having the tint stripped off again if the licensing centre agreed with him.

I definitely wouldn't be going for really dark tint, but that's 'cause I don't enjoy being inconvenienced by those who have nothing better to do with their day.

G

Unregistered
yeh, unfortunately you get some clowns like that. ive had my fair share in the past. i thinkn as long as you dont react and they can tell your not a knob then you are more than likely able to get away with a warning

i put 16% on the fronts and 42% on the rears adn mine only looks a tad darker than trev's.

i have beenn told that the colour of your interior can make it seem lighter/darker, note that i have tan leather

ALSHWNOGO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kellie
Drive
Vauxhall VXR Monaro Turbo
Try Ryan at ALLRYZ Designs
He matched my factory tinted glass
tinted my two front a tail gate for $150

G

Unregistered
I'm looking at getting the fronts tinted shortly. From the above, it sounds like Tint-a-Car do a reasonable job of matching the factory stuff. I'll be going to 35% to keep things legal, but does anyone know specifically what the film was that was used? They have quite a range there, and I'd like to make sure they don't put one on that's too metallised or anything like that.

Top Bottom