Wiring/fuses/lights issue

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
So, I have a little issue.

When I go to unlock the car, it doesn't unlock (Central locking), but the immobiliser appears to be working fine.

When I turn the car on I get no interior lights, no dash lights, no air coming from the air con although the lights/controls on the air con come on, no fogs, no brake lights, no cd player.

It appears that EVERYTHING else is working, but, whenever I use anything electrical in the car, the RPM increases to put load on the alternator to keep it running.

If I take it for a drive, everything turns on and works again after I give it a good run.

I have replaced the battery, checked the earth, the isolator and cabling to the boot which all looks fine.

I assume I have a short on the circuit that all of the above is on. It must be on something that is on constant power as it is stopping things (overdrawing current) when the car is off also (hence the doors not unlocking).

So, I am open to suggestion here.....

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
I'd be looking in the area of that fuck-off huge sub & amp mate! :D

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I'd be looking in the area of that fuck-off huge sub & amp mate! :D

Already disconnected, so its not that :(

Plus, it is something on constant power as it is still draining even when the car is off.

This is in 123AYC btw (Which aren't the actual plates anymore, but just for reference's sake!)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Silly but obvisous...checked all your fuses/relays?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Silly but obvisous...checked all your fuses/relays?

Done that, all APPEAR to be ok..... But without replacing ALL of them you can't be sure, and I don't intend to do that.

The next step I think will be to remove fuses one by one until I find the culprit circuit....

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
When you say on, you mean turn to "ON" or start?

Do the brake lights etc operate up until turning to "ON"?

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Done that, all APPEAR to be ok..... But without replacing ALL of them you can't be sure, and I don't intend to do that.

The next step I think will be to remove fuses one by one until I find the culprit circuit....
Multimeter across the terminals - i've had two dead fuses that appeared fine catch me over the years .

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
When you say on, you mean turn to "ON" or start?

Do the brake lights etc operate up until turning to "ON"?

On or started, makes no difference unfortunately. Not until I drive it for a little bit do they start working normally.

Something else to note is that the speed of the wipers is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW so I would assume these must be on the same circuit.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Multimeter across the terminals - i've had two dead fuses that appeared fine catch me over the years .

I broke my multimeter :(

Its booked in to the auto sparky on Tuesday, just trying to find out anything I can do first to try and resolve the issue.

The other thing it could POSSIBLY be is the fuse on the battery line from the front to the back (Battery in boot). I might eliminate from the equation also...

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Don't just look at fuses, check with test light. To me it sounds like a fuse.

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
You said the rpm increases to cover the load. that's telling me its not the fuses maybe something even before the fuses. might be a short to earth some where from the alternator or battery to the fuse boxes. because if it shorts to earth it decreses the voltage meaning some thing might not work due to low voltage. are you finding the battery is draining quickly.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Yeah, your ground wire(s) might be exposed or broken, but I'd also start pulling fuses until you find the problem area.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
fuses are simple.. they work or they don't..

I had issues something similar to this before.. where I would drive for about half hour or so.. pull over, walk away from the car and lock it.. few minutes later I would come back and my central lock would not work.. same goes with the dash, stereo and stuff.. this happened 3 times.. and finally I got sick of it and checked the negative terminal at the battery and it was the culprit..

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
want some grounding wires? come over to my place as I got a whole roll with a diameter like size of thumb.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg

This man has it. Fuse 19 (100 amp sucker in the engine bay fuse box)

It hadn't blown but was dropping current from 13.3V to 0.7V across the fuse. Mate brought around his multi meter and took about 5 minutes to find it!

Thanks for all the suggestions and the $10 Chris ;)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
180px-Animooted-bump.gif

BUMP.jpg

Bumping this thread with a new issue.

Fuse 8 in the engine bay (Ie, the fuse that is for the parkers on the drivers side of the vehicle) instantly blows whenever I switch on the lights/fogs.

I have run a continuity test to earth from the output side of the fuse and I get continuity to earth. On a line that is supposed to be DC +ve, I would assume thats bad and it is what is causing my issue.

Sooooooooooooooooooo, how do we suppose I might find where this break is? Or should I just send it to the auto sparky?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
check your park light's bulb holder, I've noticed that it can easily ground itself.. I've blown about 5 fuses after replacing the bulb..

Top Bottom