wondering if this would work in my engine

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Bennoz seemed to get real good results with vernier cam gears on stock cams...

EDIT: According to ASA its the same cam sprocket on both 6A12 and 6A13

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
only issue would be the cam angle sensor on the front exhaust cam. unsure if the works engineering ones have this or have the place to bolt the stock one onto

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
here's a reply i got from Bennoz from FTO..

"F*ck that's cheap!
icon_eek.gif

Yeah, they're the same. I paid almost that price per gear! I had them hand made by an engineering mob in Brookvale.

Good hp gain when down right too!"

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Was Bennoz running a single turbo?

The only gains i could think of would be Minimal HP but more bottom end torque with the stock turbos.

If we can get arround 200kw with good cooler/exhaust etc and a tune, i can't see how much cams will benefit.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Was Bennoz running a single turbo?

The only gains i could think of would be Minimal HP but more bottom end torque with the stock turbos.

If we can get arround 200kw with good cooler/exhaust etc and a tune, i can't see how much cams will benefit.

he was using stock twin turbos.. rear manifold was custom, as it was hitting the firewall.. ecu is haltech though..

i reckon we can crak 200kw's with these things on.. steve's tune + supporting mods (cooler, exhaust, etc) + these cam gears.. what do you think?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I think there is no point unless there is a turbo upgrade. If you get the right cam setup and gears then could squeeze out an extra 10-15 kw or so. Best gains could be had with drivability, economy and torque. I just don't think there is enough R&D to warrant cams and cam gears as an upgrade.

Having said that, I would like to see some results with the cams being re-ground in NZ at the moment.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I just want my exhaust, cooler and tune to be my only main mods. Anything else i think is too expensive for any gains made. I would like to see more single/twin turbo upgrades before i start looking at cams.

With the right setup, cams and gears can make huge amounts of power and unlock big restrictions made by OEM engines.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
so who's going to be the guinea pig?

im a bit iffy about works engineering...especially with this prescion stuff. they might do wicked catchcans or similar.

they're a taiwan company (i think) so i dont know if they have proper RnD or just reverse engineer stuff. some of their race cams actually cause a power loss!

leggei007

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeff Stewart
Drive
88 Astra turbo n 2012 Holden Cruze diesel hatch
Im looking at getting a long list of stuff before the engine goes n when it does I want to have it back with even more hp than ever by changing every dam thing

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
so who's going to be the guinea pig?

im a bit iffy about works engineering...especially with this prescion stuff. they might do wicked catchcans or similar.

they're a taiwan company (i think) so i dont know if they have proper RnD or just reverse engineer stuff. some of their race cams actually cause a power loss!
you meaning the camshafts themselves? as long as the tooth profile on the cam gears is fine they should be all good.
I installed the first set of the reground cams in a galant this week and the returns were good. the owner is getting a tune right now then possibly look at getting adjustable gears later down the line

Top Bottom