clivking ticking noise?

G

Unregistered
About to purchase 1999 VR4 S legnum from a dealer Have questioned a noise Sounds of clicking on drive in a staight line,power on noise is there throttle off, disappears. Similer to lifter but not as sharp.I have suggested manifold or exhaust leak seems to be in front of car. He has checked says ok Suggests one of the belt pulleys. Did this motor have a problem with the crank pulley coming loose Any ideas and comments would be welcome before I close the deal Thanks:sneaky2:

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
One of my pulley's is a little bent you can see it by watchign the belt.

It always has been and causes a little bit of noise, eye ball the belts when its running.

Unfortunately there is a lot of things that can tick under the bonnet :p

G

Unregistered
Not sure on the rotors at this point Mystery why there when throttle on car has 86k

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Just buy mine and you won't have to worry about it ;)

There is honestly so many things it could be it would be hard to define. And never trust the dealer lol, when theres commission involved everything is fine hahaha

Does the ticking get louder/faster with RPM or speed?

Check out this thread and see if its the same sort of thing? - http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5823

G

Unregistered
If pads or rotors Can slotted rotors possibly touch pads under load?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
If the ball joints are rooted, the wheels will camber out on acceleration. That's a fairly easy fix, but seriously, have a look at Dawso's ride. I know I'd rather buy from him than a dealer ANYDAY!

G

Unregistered
Thanks guys. Will drive another car he has and compare Maybe it will have the same problem?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
What are you offering to trade? :)

Other VR4's don't make that sound so I wouldn't imagine you would get the same thing

G

Unregistered
1988 Saab 900 turbo convertable auto106k/s gen absolute top condition Saab plus $8000

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Unforunately Saab's aren't my thing sorry haha

Where you looking at getting the vehicle from?

G

Unregistered
Thanks to everyone. Will let you know the results tomorrow

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
CV joints make more of a click click click on the first bit of acceleration then should make no sound till power comes on again.. could be that? im not sure. get it checked up i reckon.

G

Unregistered
Clicking noise followup

Back to dealer for further test drive. Ok def not in drive train as first thought Sound is more like a pulse than a metalick click Can duplicate noise with car stationary.Bring revs up comes in at 1000rpm and increases and is loudest at 1800rpm over this is still there but motor is gettig busy and tends to mask it sounds worse inside the car than when listing with bonnet up Drove another car but no noise. mechanics disconnected all exturnel belts and is still there. Induction mabey? Got there mechs scrathing there head.What do you reckon guys? car perf:eek:hmy:eek:rms well Thanks

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Throttle body tick possibly. Has been spoken about somewhere before so perhaps just try using the search and see if you can find it :)

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
There are a few legnums around so in my opinion it'd be better to avoid 1 that has strange noises even if you love it

Top Bottom