235/55/16 profile, Anybody use this tyres??

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
Guys,

Been having problem with my s2 when it comes to cornering, the tyres are always squealling, makes ppl think im a hooner.
I've got 80% tread on tyres, they are good brand too , Michellin.

So I had my car wheel alligned at centreline suspension.
http://www.centrelinesuspension.com.au/
They are one of the expert on wheel & susp. set-up, ppl from the circuit recommended me to go to them.

Apparently they reckon 235/55/16 profile tyres are too wide, compared to our stock wheel 225/50/16. Which caused the tyres is too wide for the stock rims profile.
They also had to adjust the toe-in by 1mm each side and increase tyre pressure to accomodate the 235 width tyres

So does anyone here use 235/55/16 profile tyres on their car?

cheers

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I have NEVER heard of a 235/55R16. Did you buy the car with these or did you have them put on? If someone suggested you put them on, go find them and slap them good.

225/50R16 is a common size, and would be far cheaper and better.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
I have NEVER heard of a 235/55R16. Did you buy the car with these or did you have them put on? If someone suggested you put them on, go find them and slap them good.

225/50R16 is a common size, and would be far cheaper and better.

Yes yes... i know, I thought i was lucky when i got my car from japan last year. I looked at it and saw 235 tyres and jackpot!!

But i guess it isnt good anymore now.... it's good on highway and all that, the car is very comfy too, being sitting on large tyres.
But on cornering the stock wheel cant accomodate those wide tyres, its sort off bubbling on the side (if you know what i mean)

I guess i have to downgrade the tyres / upgrade my rims :cautious:

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Go with a 205/55R16..... Toyo TEO would be my suggestion. Can't go past them for value for money!

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
the guy with 255's is suggesting 205's? :p

I wouldn't want to downgrade my tyre's anymore then what is necessary

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
235/55/16 is WAY wrong. The only viable options for stock wheels are 205/55/16 and 225/50/16.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
235/55/16 is WAY wrong. The only viable options for stock wheels are 205/55/16 and 225/50/16.

i know brad, whoever put that 235/55 in my galant must be after some comfort rather than performance.

I guess i have to lived with it till my tyres are worn out...i still have 80% thread to go

so 205 or 225 is the answer hey...

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Personally i'd go the 205's..... 225's is a bit much for a 6.5" wide rim :)

the guy with 255's is suggesting 205's? :p

I wouldn't want to downgrade my tyre's anymore then what is necessary

Only on a 6.5" rim though :p

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
So why did the FL Type-S get 225/50/16 stock? It even says it in my JDM manual :p

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
235/55/16 must be for a SUV or simlar...

A mate had Falkens that did the same thing, they were just too hard a compound..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
They really should have had 16x6.5" 38mm with 205/55/16 on prefacelifts and something bigger on facelifts, either 16x7.5" 38mm with 225's or standard EVO 5/6 wheels 17x7.5" 38mm with 225/45/17 tyres.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Yeah, if they'd come with 17's standard on the Type-S I'd be happy, cause then I wouldn't have to go through all this arsery of finding wheels to upgrade to :p

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
Guys

thanks for the input, I will definetely get the 205 or 225 next time for tyre change.

In the meantime Chris from centreline suspension has solved 90% of my problem.
What he did with my 235/55 tyres is adjusted Toe-In at front and rear wheels, and also increased my tyre pressure to 38psi to composate the tyres that are to wide for the rims.

Result, I am very amazed with the difference, the car drive changed a lot.
Entry corner are more sharp, acceleration on exit are more stable and quick. Not much of squealling anymore resulted from 235 wide tyre.

I highly recommended this bloke. Unlike those K-mart or average wheel alignment on normal tyres shop. Check out the website guys//

oh yeah all just for 90 bucks!! good investment

cheers

G

Unregistered
Hmm, tyre talk. After denting 18' rim went back to 16' 225 50/16 and have not looked back. Tyre guy reckons 32psi too soft but i love the ride down shit dirt roads!

Top Bottom