3mm Lifters burning out valves?

G

Unregistered
Again, another post I also asked on the UK site.

Well this is what a mechanic from Mitsi on Aucklands Nth Shore said. The 3mm hole can allow TOO MUCH oil pressure into the lifter allowing it to sometimes lessen the amount of pressure the valve spring applies, thus allowing a possible gas leak, hence burning out your valves. He said this is a worst case scenario, and that new lifters with the 1mm hole, providing the car was correctly serviced, would fix the problem. Your thoughts??
Cheers Dan

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I had issues with the ticking lifters as well with my old Galant.. my dad being a mechanic said that replacing the 1mm hole lifters with the 3mm hole ones..would actually lessen the oil pressure which then would not lift the lifters as its suppose to.. which would then make more noise..

he then suggested to just take out the lifters and get it acid washed by a proper shop and test it.. also in the same time do a good oil flush..

what do you guys think?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Check out the forums on www.3si.org as the DOHC 24v 6G72 has the exact same lifter problem (in fact I think they use the same part) and there's plenty of people who've swapped to the 3mm ones, search and see what results they've had.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I believe we share the same lifters with 4G, 6G & 6A series motors.. in DOHC anyways..

G

Unregistered
RPW has done the 3mm lifter upgrade on EVO, GSR and the 6A13 engines before for quite a few people. No reports ever of any issues with the engine afterwards except the removal of the ticking problem.

Seriously, its just one of those upgrades that must be done when the time comes

Top Bottom