93 Excel with VR4 Turbo Engine

eddiemess

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Eddie
Drive
BMW E30 325i
Apparently it does 12 seconds on the quater mile but i never got the chance to take it to the creek to race. It feels like it would though

Yeh I bet you probably didn't race it at all, it just feels like it could pull 12.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
"2 new camshaft seels, 1 new cam shaft seel," lmao...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
"tuned by AMG"... um, ok then.
That is possible, because there were AMG Galant VR4s in the HH shape before AMG went exclusively Merc. They were a tuning house just line Mines, Autech etc.

Goku

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kayne
Drive
1994 Galant VR-4
2000 Legnum VR-4
Yep, that's true

There are quite a few 6G VR-4s with AMG Tuned covers on them and AMG body kits.

It wouldn't be that difficult to put in there either, as the Hyundai's have basically the same engine bay due to close ties with mitsubishi for a while there.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
WHY.............?????? why...why...why???

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Once the front wheels stopped slipping and it got going that thing would fly! Why not? Get a cheap VR4 engine which are definitely available, cheap starter car....halfway there really. The look on peoples faces when you absolutely blast them to 60 at the lights would be worth the money alone. Im guessing the excels weigh Fark all so would be a pretty crazy experience I imagine.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I dunno about blasting cars to 60, you'd have a hard time getting traction. My old TR magna with the DOHC 6G72 n/a had a hard time getting traction from a launch with decent tyres and suspension and that was only about 130kw atw.

So a lighter car with less weight over the front wheels and more power...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
yes but heavier cars take a bit more to move, where as the excel has pretty much all its weight over the front wheels... not that id buy it of course lol

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I've just been thinking about this recently and reminiscing about the research I did on the earlier 6G Galants. In my research I only ever came across the naturally aspirated AMG front wheel drive Galant. AMG never tuned the turbo VR4's. I think this person has replaced the lead cover with an AMG tuned one. You will also notice the tappet cover is red indicating this engine is from a VR4. The AMG tuned and naturally aspirated engine tappet cover is gold. The only more powerful variant of the E39A VR4's was the Galant VR4 RS (Rally spec).

If anyone KNOWS I'm wrong then by all means correct me but I've put a lot of time over the years in researching this and I this is dodgey!

EDIT:

I wonder where he got the spark plug cover from... click here

G

Unregistered
I agree, some car are not made to go fast!

But interesting concept.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Sleepers are a cool idea.

Although, if I was going to have a sleeper I would prefer something actually comfortable.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
yes but heavier cars take a bit more to move, where as the excel has pretty much all its weight over the front wheels... not that id buy it of course lol

It's a lot less weight pushing those wheels down which are copping much more power. Mind you the TR wasn't *that* heavy for it's size at 1480kg, being FWD too most of its weight was over the front wheels, just like any FWD.

If you were rolling at 60km/h then I reckon it'd be pretty formidable, but not from a standing start.

Top Bottom