Aftermarket strut braces available?

TTVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
99 Galant, black, Sunroof, manual, Recaros
can you buy after market front strut braces for our babies?
i want to get one that matches the brushed stainless intercooler piping in my car.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Cusco make them and I think they might have a slight brushed finish to them. At the absolute least they are smooth and not lumpy like the stock ones!

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Yahoo Japan have the Cusco ones

G

Unregistered
You can pick them up from Yahoo Japan for under 5k yen for a used one + shipping and fees though the last one I bought made by Dolphin only cost me 1k + fees, bargain

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
yeha i have a cusco one coming - should be here next week.
ill post a pic once i get it

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
I do understand that they are lighter than the stock but then having a 12kgs rims does not make any difference. (well atleast for me) :)

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
I understand that you may be wanting a different asthetic for your engine bay, but if it weight you are trying to save, the stock one is fairly light anyway... the 2 kg saving (guess) isn't really worth it unless the interior is stripped etc...

The best way to reduce weight is go on a diet... well for us overweight fellas. (not having a go at anyone)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I don't recon you'd shave as much as 2kg between braces unless you had one made of CF - the stock one can't weigh much more than that in the first place!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Yeah the stock one is pretty light! And chunky as hell too - most aftermarket ones would surely struggle to match it for rigidity, which, after all, is what it is for...

G

Unregistered
also the after market ones only bolt to the strut tower (3 bolts),

the stock item also bolts at a lower (4th) point that supports the upper a-arm.

i see no reason to change unless its...

1)cosmetic (what ttvr4 wants)
2)a true track beast being stripped of all excess weight

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
apologies. it looked like a front as the rear i got was different althought it was a greddy one.

thanks Gly

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I have to agree that the stock brace is very good IMO. It certainly makes a difference.

For #$%^ and giggles I took my front strut brace off (when I was mucking around fitting the rear brace), and went for a drive; it makes a very big improvement over the handling without it. From what I can see Mitsubishi did the R&D on the stock item and it serves its purpose very well considering. Unlike those cheap "after market" ebay specials you see hardly making a change to the body during cornering.

As it has been said; I don't really see the point to change it unless you are building a race car, where every gram counts; or building autosalon's next winning show car... even then I would probably just paint it at the most.

I actually quite like the way it has cut-outs and the rise over the top of the throttle body, looks a damn side more attractive then a plain flat bar in your engine bay.

But just my 2c ...

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
What difference would a rear strut brace make?

G

Unregistered
It stiffens up the rear end and you will notice a difference

Top Bottom