Aftermarket suspension component options

Snoozy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Freddy
Drive
Legnum
Ok so got my LCA's done. And local mechanic IWIM MOTORS charged me 100$ for fitting. Notified me that i'd still get knocking noises when mounting driveways coz my front struts have got alot of movement in them. They havnt collapsed yet which is a good thing just the knock noise. Any recommendations a good pair of aftermarket struts??

(Adjustable Coilovers are out of the question coz i just cant see my self spending time adjusting ride height often so no point for me. )

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
Hey Guys

What options do we have in regards to aftermarket suspension options? I'm thinking of replacing LCA, UCA, sway bars, sway bar links and all the other associated parts with something else. I know Cusco do sway bars but thats as far as i've got regarding aftermarket parts.

Can someone shed some light on this subject?

Cheers

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
I think you'll find the overwhelming consensus of opinion here recommend sticking to genuine, OEM replacements when dealing with steering/suspension parts, especially LCAs.
In my opinion, Investing in a set of high quality adjustable coilovers is the best improvement you can make for the $ -- it will also have the biggest influence on how the car rides and handles over stock.

mcs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1997 Galant VR-4
Whiteline do end links, other than that the other suspension parts as mentioned, best to keep stock.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
as per Xoxide's reply, aftermarket suspension/ coilovers are the first thing that's done usually

if that's not enough then upgraded swaybars from cusco or selby's are available (not sure about Selby's though)

then if your bushings are starting to say goodbye, then superpro polyurethane bushings are suggested as well..

just a note with upgraded rear swaybars, it is best to have metal plates added to the swaybar link mounts on the control arms, as these seems to be getting old/weak

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Been wondering about those superpro bushing anyone running them for a while care to provide any feedback?

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
Currently I'm running bilstein coilovers and quite happy although they do feel slightly too stiff for my liking. They do make the car handle like a dream though

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
Thanks for the info, was just exploring other avenues. Glad to see genuine is the way to go.

Are the whiteline end links worth purchasing? Do they improve handing much?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
kyb agx are good alternative to the Ralliart dampers :)

match it with Kings Springs and you'd be sweet

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Thanks for the info, was just exploring other avenues. Glad to see genuine is the way to go.

Are the whiteline end links worth purchasing? Do they improve handing much?

they don't do much but replace your typical end links.. these would actually be a bit more harsher as it doesn't have grease to receive the slightest vibrations..

unless you're ready for it :D

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
Oh trust me, I'm ready for it haha. Naa was just curious thats all.

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
I have a full set of Koni shocks BRAND NEW IN BOX if you're keen, PM me for more details

Snoozy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Freddy
Drive
Legnum
Yeah this will b a good chance to get some low king springs when getting them changed. How do they sit at rear though Naughtika???? 18inch rims to come in the next few mnths. Am i going to have to add some guard rolling with the low king springs??? Quick readups say sits pretty low when loaded. Boot is always full of truck tools a good 150kgs easily worth so need to put that into consideration too.

Sending u pm now Tophler :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I cant comment on how the king springs for the 8th gen gallants.. simply because they were for the USDM models and not the jdm ones

from memory, the ones on my 7th gen Galant, the standard were definitely lower than the oe standard suspension.. but still higher than lowered

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
King springs do custom springs too. Just tell them what you want ie the height you want the car at and the stiffness and you should be able to get something custom made for $150 a spring i think if i remember correctly, might have been $300 for a full set.

Snoozy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Freddy
Drive
Legnum
I will do some reading up on the springs. They have a thread here mentioning them so will take a read up and go from there.
Cheers for the help input guys

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
What would be the benefit of these over a genuine one? Better quality?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
the bilstein coilovers run a 14kg front and an 8kg rear spring. stupidly stiff spring rate and over spring for the front damping rates too. i used the same dampers and ran an 8kg front spring and a 6.3kg rear spring. worked well. i also ran selby Swaybars and front camber kits, plus new control arms and bushes. sayc diff and r spec tyres and it will out grip most cars and was quite tail happy.

Top Bottom