Attaching original control module to aftermarket fans

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
So my radiator blew the other day and I'm waiting on a Koyo Type R to arrive as a replacement.

I've got a couple of SPAL EF3657 14" fans and am trying to work out the best way to attach the control module to these fans (or as close to the original position as possible).

Is there anyone here who is running a similar setup that might be able to give some tips on a good method of attachment for the old hedgehog?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
In the end I just fashioned up a bracket from some unequal angle aluminium for the control module to attach to - seems to have done the trick.

The Koyorad is in and I'm back on the road!

PXL_20231009_075306446.jpg
PXL_20231024_233628522.NIGHT.jpg

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Just check the SPAL spec, each fan takes about 20A, so 2 fans are 40A in total. Kindly reminder, it could be way too much than stock fans power consumption, so you may need to be careful about overloading the hedgehog, and the wire to the battery thickness when 100% duty cycle on the fans.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Oh damn! Thanks so much for the reply, but that really doesn't sound great. :(

Honestly, I'm pretty inexperienced with this and put together something from the information I was able to gather from the forum about what I thought other people seemed to have done in the past.

Would you possibly happen to have any recommendations about what I could do to try and make sure I don't have any problems with this setup? Should I have maybe installed some sort of third-party fan controller?

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Actually, I don't know how much current the original fan used, so just need to be caution to any electical upgrade, for safety.

Since there is no other info printed on the hedgehog, so if you have a multimeter and know how-to, measure the current consumption from the original fan directly from 12v. Just guess, for example, if it is around 20A, then it's pretty close to your SPAL, so it is safe to use the OEM hedgehog. So, measure the current for the original fan with full speed on 12V and then you can compare with the new SPAL.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
I would say according to the SPAL specs you're covered at say 40 amps max. Our relays and fuses are capable of 50amps and I would says the connector wires at least 75.

IMG_20231027_135904.jpg
IMG_20231027_135911.jpg

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
I would say according to the SPAL specs you're covered at say 40 amps max. Our relays and fuses are capable of 50amps and I would says the connector wires at least 75.

Oh wow, thanks for this *breathes sigh of relief*

I'm such an idiot too, because I was looking at the fusebox yesterday and somehow only saw the other fan icon (R), and have been googling the part number of the fuse within to try and work out what it was rated to. šŸ˜‚

Also, thanks @kc427 for looking out - I probably should have checked all this before purchasing the fans to begin with.

Top Bottom