Original K's ??

G

Unregistered
Just a thought ... how do they wind back the km's on electronic trip computers ?
Obviously its easy on the anolouge style odo's ...

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Really weird thing happened to the speedo this arv whilst driving it ( fully rego'd now :D ) i pulled onto the highway bound for a 30 min HWY run and when i got to 100 or there abouts out of the blue the speedo needle started going all over the place! it would not go higher than 100 but dropped down to 20 a couple of time and it seemed to co-inside with rough patches on the road, it lasted for at least 5min and suddenly stopped:confused:. drove the rest of the way and came home after stopping for a while and it was fine? weird.....

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
just put in another speedo :)
That's the easiest way, yes - but in theory its just an electronic circuit, so if you were to reverse engineer it I daresay you could work out how to rewrite it without too much trouble. There's no such thing as an unhackable electronic device ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
1st Trevor - probably a loose connection, take the dash apart and put it all back together and see what happens

2nd Trevor - depends if you're doing it to one car or 50 :)

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I think you guys forget we are talking about the Japanese here - they sell the machines for winding back digital odometers on Yahoo Japan auctions...

formanth

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony
Drive
2001 Legnum
I think you guys forget we are talking about the Japanese here - they sell the machines for winding back digital odometers on Yahoo Japan auctions...

LOL...Kristian!....this is a perfect example of when we DON'T need to hear the truth! :ROFLMAO: .....please tell us that snippet of a golden nugget did not come from 1st hand experience, mate!!...LOL ..you weren't THAT BUSY on your last trip..were you? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: BIG DAME!! LOL

G

Unregistered
Yeah, it's perfectly possible to 'clock' the digital ODOs on these cars. In the UK some importers are licenced by BIMTA (A trade body that deals with Jap imports) to re-program the ODO reading on import - They do this to wind the clock back so that the ODO shows the total distance traveled in miles rather than kms.

Before you ask - No, we've no idea what they use and how they do it!

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
[/b]

LOL...Kristian!....this is a perfect example of when we DON'T need to hear the truth! :ROFLMAO: .....please tell us that snippet of a golden nugget did not come from 1st hand experience, mate!!...LOL ..you weren't THAT BUSY on your last trip..were you? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: BIG DAME!! LOL

lol - no more just a social comment that a) the Japanese are very tehcnologically minded and can create any gadget they like, and b) that there is a blind eye turned to the practice, like many other questionable practices.

In fairness to the Japanese govt, there has obviously been pressure brought to bear over it, because they're now listing the kms every time a car is re-registered and it is shown on the export certificates.

In other words, rather than winding 220,000km cars back to 65,000km (don't laugh, I saw it happen once - car went through auction, no bid, then hey presto, same car turned up a week later with revised odometer, sold), we now see them only wound back as far as the last time it was registered.

I bought a car like that on my last trip - had apparently only travelled an extra 10km in the 9 months since it was last registered...of course, because registration papers aren't left in the car, you don't find this out till after you've purchased it...

I'm not telling you all this to make you panic, more to point out that good brokers (and their agents in Japan) will know which cars have legit kms and which ones don't, even just from reading the auction sheet sometimes, but definitely from inspecting the car in the metal, where a private person generally wouldnt. Another reason why spending the extra and using a broker is money well spent :)

G

Unregistered
Thank you very much Steve i would appreciate that.

Sorry about the delay but my Japanese PA has been off for 2 days.

Here is her translation.

Timing belt changed on 25th-April 2005
The Mileage reading: 61116kms

Sorry about being the bearer of bad news, I hope this doesn't cause you to many dramas.

Steve

SaViOr

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Fabrice
Drive
was XR6 Turbo, now wrx, should have been a VR4
Guys, it happens all the time, ever noticed 95% of jap cars that are imported have under 100k on them, i'm looking to buy a vr4 and the one i saw today had just under 60k on it, the rest of the car told a totaly different story. I would say it had over 100k.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yep. I bought my car from an actual Legnum compliance shop, & the guy there was showing me the original reports showing the ORIGINAL km's on the cars in Japan & then the reports when the car got to Australia displaying drastically reduced km's afterwards.

So of them were going WAAAAAAAAY back on their readouts. I can tell you for a fact it's happening here in Oz too.

Apparently, the vehicle with the biggest abuse of this practice are the Mitsubishi Delicas from what I've been told.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i had service stickers on the door, and the reading was a couple thousand more than that... not that its a perfect guarantee but yeah.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
HA...I have never looked.......out of sight out of mind!!! Just maintain the sh*t out of it and it should be all good!!

Top Bottom