Air Con = over heating?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Noticed something a lil weird. As soon as i turn the air con on, or the air at all for that matter, the engine temp goes straight to maximum heat. Thought may have been a fault with the sensor, but yep coolant was boiling after 2 mins of it being on. Turn it off and everything cools down.

Anyone have a clue or had this happen?

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
Sounds like your fan is not coming on when Ac/fan is turned on I had it on a R33 years ago. Simple auto elec fix which could save you $$$$$ if you do your head gasket.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Just sussed it, none of the fans are coming on. At least i know what the prob is, isnt as bad as i first thought. Thanks for everyones help.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
ok had it checked this morning.. the plug for the fans was loose. works 100% perfect now :)

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
That was easy, and cheap. Well done!

I have a question about the thermos on the VR4. Does anyone know if there is some way to override the auto fan on and be able to manually control the fans when desired?

I am sure there could be a simple switch put in line with a relay to trigger them.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The fans come on at 80C, you wouldn't want them to come on before that anyway.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
It would just be more for a test.

I know it is a totally different story, but in my datto i used to have the fan come on at 50c so it could draw air thru the intercooler and avoid getting heatsoak.

Might not affect the Legnum at all but was just keen to try as we are having really hot weather and the car runs like poo if you have been idling at the lights etc.

Even on the hottest of days, my fans do not kick in unless i have really been pushing the car or it has been idling for 10 mins on a 35 degree day.

Top Bottom