Air intake - A little confused.

mbilal

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bilal
Drive
Galant VR4 99 Type V
Hi guys, after reading a fair bit of threads in regards to air intake on our Galant/ Legnums, I have a few puzzled questions in my mind.

My car has not arrived yet but it is coming in 2 weeks, cant wait.

First of all my VR4 has an aftermarket Apexi Air filter and a Blitz BOV ( I prefer 50/50 vent but this is straight to atmosphere) from its previous owner in Japan. Looks like the previous owner just wanted name brands to achieve his/her goal of increasing power.

I have read and understood the way a Karman Vortex air flow metre works in our VR4s and somehow agree with an aftermarket air filter disturbing air flow, confusing the ECu and eventually ending up with rich mixtures
The rampod unit looks fine but it is fairly expensive (around $150 for an air filter). But if they say it is specifically designed for Mitsu MAFs then either it is correct or another marketing tool to increase sales.

Now in the instance of having the Ram Pod or any pod, the question is will it suck in hot engine bay air and decrase performance?
Last year when I was buying a K&N pod filter for my 91 VR4 (the air filter box and meter assembly are a pain in the a*** as anyone who has owned a 6th gen VR4 will know exactly what I mean.
Anyway I was showing my engine bay to the guy at autobahn and he said that removing the box shuld improve air flow and increase power a little. I told him that it will suck in hot air if thats the case, he responded saying, "what are we after more air or less air into the cylinders? "

I thought for a second that he was saying that to sell the air filter but I had bought it already and never got into doing work into the air filter setup.

Long story short, the unshielded PODs DO suck up hot engine bay air, but why is there an intercooler in the car? To cool ithe intake charge air and make it dense. Hense if you were to pop a POD in the car then a sensible thing is to upgrade the cooler to result in cooler air temperatures.

One more thing with the BOVs is the factory option is always recirculating. The wooshing sound is for the drivers' and the audiences listening pleasure only. Any factory stock turbo car will have its exceess charge air fed back into the turbo via the bypass valve. This increases responsiveness of the turbo so it does not need to spool up harder and build up the necessary boost to keep going.

Anyway my suggestion to anyone that wants a BOV installed would be to have a 50/50 vent so the car doesnt stall or lose response after letting go of the clutch and still have the noise we are after. (it wont be as loud as 100% vent or the double vent like Turbosmarts unit.)

I had a 91 VR4 and started learing things about turbo, boost, etc.
bcoz I did not have money to buy a BOV, I used to take off the hose that feeds back into the turbo hose to have the whooshing sound. Of course the car drove terrible but it kept me smiling sometimes. lol, - such days.

The car that Im getting has different settings to what my ideal is, so I will start working on it once arrives.

Anyone that thinks differently or wanting to correct me, please do so.
If I am mistaken, please feel free to correct me as there are professionals on this site that have worked longer and harder than I ever will on Turbo cars.
I am not a mechanic or an engine expert, just an industrial design student that would like to share my experiences.

Thank you again.
Bilal

Attachments

• Galant (59).jpg
    Galant (59).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 304
  • Galant (63).jpg
    Galant (63).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 290
  • Galant (65).JPG
    Galant (65).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 288

mbilal

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bilal
Drive
Galant VR4 99 Type V
By the way, as you can see that there are mods done on the vehicle which will not be accepted when registering, I need some help on sourcing some original parts, if anyone can help me on this, I will heavily appreciate.

I need the oiginal air filter + box assembly, including snorkel, also might need the original rubber piping that attaches to intake manifold to get rid of the BOV for now.

Once complianced and registered, then hopefully the parts will go back on.

So please help me find some original parts for my car and I will buy them asap.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
first up, auto barn guy is a doosh

still reading rest of it

ok:

pod is fine, but get some pipe in between the pod and the senor

or

get the ram pod

or

get a cutsom ARC box made up from sheet metal to suit a panel filter.

pod directly on maf is a no no.

secondly, autobarn guy is doosh. stock airbox or pod make no difference in kilawatt gain.

if it was me, id design a metal intake box with a panel filter and CAI, since your a IndDes student, this shouldnt be a hassle.

also, your right about the bov. it pretty common knowledge around here now. see if sard, ( i think thats a sard) make a plum back attachment

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
:lol::lol::lol: I was waiting for brad to say something, your very passionate about the subject.

Yeah, I'm with Paul and Brad, auto barn dude is a douche.

Just on BOV's I have an SSQV and find the car runs fine, no stalling, running rough, however other members have put VTA BOV's on their cars with the above problem, it seems to differ between cars. Up to you whether you keep it or not.

EDIT:

Wow just looked at that air filter, it looks F***ED

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
lol @ advice from a sales assistant! He may know what sony system is "hot" rite now, but mate, he aint running a dyno or doing system diagnostics for a living.

In saying that, I'm not a machanic either (will be soon though!) but man I know there is a massive difference between my previous Legnum with a stock air intake and my curent Galant with the pod.

It seriously runs out of push when your really riding it and I KNOW the wagon never had that problem.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Bilal if you still want to install a pod filter use all the advise given.

Even previous cars ive owned that run a MAP sensor have had the pod filter shielded or boxed off.

Or install an ECU that runs a MAP sensor.

mbilal

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bilal
Drive
Galant VR4 99 Type V
Thanks for the advice guys, currently the car does have an Apexi Pod fitted on, as seen in the pics. I need that and the BOV taken off for compliancing and registration. So I am after a factory air box and snorkel. Will be great if anyone that has it and not using it wants to sell it or 'give it'.
lol
Once its registered. I might choose between a Ram pod. ($135) Or use the stock setup with a quality air filter. There is one on eBay for around $90 for the panel.

ed84

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddie
Drive
09' Mitsubishi SWB Pajero NT X DiD, Honda CBR250rr
HAD: 99' Legnum s 2 Type S, 98' Galant S2 Type V
Just payed 120 nz for a stock air intake for the 6a13tt plus fittings delivered to Adelaide... i think about $95 aus from Mitsi Bits in NZ...

Mine had been pre-podded also. K&N. I don't notice anything irregular with the car... maybe the puff off black smoke when punching the throttle... But the evidence is there so ill see how it goes with stock!

mbilal

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bilal
Drive
Galant VR4 99 Type V
My car is getting complianced tomorrow, so hopefully they can source and fit the stock aribox, otherwise the car cannot be registered.
Leaving the burden on the mechanic himself.

If I still need the stock box, I can contact you and you can direct me to the place you bought it off yeah?
Cheers.

ed84

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddie
Drive
09' Mitsubishi SWB Pajero NT X DiD, Honda CBR250rr
HAD: 99' Legnum s 2 Type S, 98' Galant S2 Type V
No worries, trademe.co.nz seems to move scrapped VR4's pretty quickly, its just an ebay for NZ. But i got mine from mitsi bits, they don have a sight but just google 'mitsi bits nz' an it comes up with a number, email & fax.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Plenty of cars have successfully gone through registration with pods, so if you don't get a stock intake in time you will probably be ok - you're in with a shot, at least!

Top Bottom