Alice to Darwin National VR4 event/cruise/meet 2010

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
James, March is still wet season, so sorry but that isn't a possibility............

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Yea, yes, last 2weeks of october and the first week of november would be ok (known as troppo time- brains fry and people go skitz) but if we go any later than that we risk going into the next wet season........

There is a problem scenery wise if we go really late in the dry (ie troppo time) being very little water flow in most of the major waterfalls and waterways..... + 40 in the shade and 28-30 overnight lows (personally troppo is my favourite time of year up there- brings out the rum pig in me)

Dr. Josh whats your call (I know your keen on high season..June-July)

G

Unregistered
If it is going to be that hot most of the cars will be struggling to keep cool. How wet is it in june or july? Wet isnt a problem unless it floods or we come across huge amounts of unsealed roads.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
The dry season start in April and ends Novemberish, June July average day temps are around 22 in alice and 30 in darwin, average daily lows are about 5 in alice and about 21 in darwin, there is virtually no chance of rain in June July....

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Here's my thoughts on the different months:

June is most likely the most expensive time of year to stay and the hardest time to find accommodation because of the V8supercars. So prolly give June a wide birth.

If you want comfort when it's not too hot and sticky I was thinking July-Sep just before the build up when the humidity is lower. Motorsport events are in full swing as are Mildil Beach markets. It's a beautiful time to get out on the water and the fish are biting! (Sorry guys I don't have a boat). Swimming holes in Litchfield and Katherine are still flowing quite nicely during the dry and are quite theraputic after a full day of driving.:)

October is the cheapest for accommodation but this is when the buildup starts and the temperatures are in the mid 30's. This is also when the odd storm crops up from nowhere and are good at ruining track/drag events (but are extemely entertaining all the same).

I guess this mostly comes down to who is available at what time. I'm pretty flexible as I own a business and given enough notice I can get time off whenever.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
yes, buildup (aka tropo time) is awesome for those thunder storms...... visually impressive..... the territory has something for everyone..... cant wait to see the participants faces after the drive from alice when they arrive at mataranka as they land in the thermal spings and backup to the homestead bar, if that isn't heaven i don't know what is.....

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
make it for march,hopefully we can get up their for the run off,lol,if i still have my leggy or at least any car that fits my baitcasters ill try come.

i love darwin

Sorry mate we couldn't catch up; I was flat chat that whole week you got back from Kakadu. Hope you had a top time when you were here.

Josh:)

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
best week ever,i went first week of november and i dont think it rained once,it was so hot and i didnt realise night time could even be that hot but thats why i loved it,and still caught 52 barra in a day and a half so cant complain

i am trying to get back up for the run off in a couple months,wait tilll i get that call then book a last minute flight

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
hmm. it will be good. I think it would be a good idea to have a committie for this event.

Someone to find us a sponsor. maybe we can do it for a cancer council or something to raise money and have full support of locals and all that.,

medical team (we might get sick someont to prepare the basic medical kit and medication, emergency contact on the area we are in and all that),

mechanical team,

managing team (who finds hotels, fuels and food), we can sleep in our cars too actually..

Media team who can take some good quality photo's,

advance team (in turns.. a car or two in turns to drive ahead and see what is ahead lieka flood, bush fire and all that)

by the way.. my wife and kids will not be happy..might have to send them overseas....

G

Unregistered
1 For the Mechanical Team

Maybe one person for each job from each state then on the trek too alice there will be one of each to guide and help were needed.

G

Unregistered
I would seriously consider this trip, and to be honest I would drive to Adelaide first and then through to Alice then Darwin. Probably look at going over to Cairns and back down through Brissy to get home. Much bigger trip, but if I'm taking time off work to do it I may as well do it properly :)

Depends how many of you I meet before then, and if I like your ugly mugs :p haha

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I like the concept, but I'm sorry to say I hate the location. I won't be driving to Darwin sorry. Biggest issue for me is the heat - I'm not keen on taking my car to a track day in 30+ degree heat. There's also the distance thing.

A lot of clubs have national meets in Shepparton/Benalla. The Falcon Cobra club had one last year, and the Skyline Nationals were held there as well. Cheap and plentiful accommodation, 2 motorsport facilities (DECA in Shep and Winton near Benalla, 3 if you count Heathcote which is only an hour or so away), and reasonable access for people in Victoria, NSW and SA. I'd attend that for sure. Organise it so you have a driver training event at DECA on the Saturday and a track day at Winton on the Sunday. Heaven.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Tim, The track day thing was more of a bonus event thing for the more enthusiastic of the car enthusiasts to do up here. If we hold this event in July or Aug post V8 supercar accommodation shouldn't be too exy and not hard to come by. Heat is also not that unbearable at this time of year; low 30's at 20% humidity. This event is more of a cruise based event to show the rugged beauty of Northern Australia and to get out of those smogged up cities and get some fresh air. But if that's not your thing then that's cool dude.:)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Yeah that's cool. Hope you guys can make it a success! If nothing else, it sets the groundwork for similar events in future!

G

Unregistered
hey guys i would defently love meeting lots of you i am in darwin so not much of a cruise for me. i would love to come along if you let me i own a fto but it has a vr4 motor in it.

HOpe this happens

cheers mitch

G

Unregistered
I was meaning to post in this thread.

Mitch, I think everyone will be happy just to meet a fellow member regardless of the car they drive. Seriously, we just have a big FTO engine/little GTO engine, depends how you look at it :D

Kat and Nudge, as I've said in another thread I am accruing as much leave as I can for this and still intend to start from Adelaide, maybe even via Melbourne for a car wash meet :) So you have at least one definite addition to your cruise. Hell, even if my car really screws up I'll get a hire car to come along, I don't care!

I am happy to chip in with the spare parts bin, so if 2 of us have spare belts, etc. I should still have a spare set of PFL rims with rubber at the time of the trip so I can take all 4 if required. The only problem is if everyone has 17's or 18's my 16's will be useless as spares, haha. If you ever want to discuss stuff at Goulburn Workers Club or anything let me know, I promise I won't take a piss on anyone's head in the mens room. No, wait, my surname isn't Carney...

G

Unregistered
sweet i reckon this should be done this year haha NT has no cruises for anybody it sucks so bad haha.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Ummm, Connor..... lol

Mitch, this is a big event to swing and numbers will determine it success, we'll be up there in October when I'll be doing alot of the leg work involved in making this happen, I'll keep you posted on progress.

Dr. Josh (our other Territorian) and I will be meeting up for a mini event while we're up there, happy to have you join us, will be at Crustations on the wharf and then to Kitty O'Shea's to damage brain cells, can we count you in??

G

Unregistered
yeah defently count me in. yeah josh and me are mates love his car.

My car is currently at our local peformance taking for ever to change the motor which i have built and got ready for them.

Just give josh and me a message closer to the date i may loose my liscense before then damn cops. Josh can drive my car hehe

Top Bottom