Alternator/Battery problem maybe?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
ok so about a week ago, installed a new head unit and left it playing until battery was flat, oops. Car has been fine since then until last couple days I have noticed the battery light flashing on and my head unit cutting out. So was expecting the battery to die, but it didnt. Today driving up to wet & wild (about 45 mins away) with the aircon on, couldnt get the head unit to play without constantly cutting out. Then the ABS light comes on and stays on. So I turn the aircon off and ABS light goes off for a short time aswell but comes back on. I figure the ABS isnt getting power.
Pulling into the carpark at wet & wild and the car feels like it is missfiring, rev meter jumps up and down a little bit. Not even enough power for the spark plugs?
So turn the car off and half expect that Im gonna have to call RACQ to get me started when we are finished at wet & wild. But the car starts fine, no battery or ABS lights on. Head unit seems to be dead, wont turn on at all, hopefull just the fuse in the back of it so I dont have to try taking it back under warranty. Car drives home fine.

Now thinking this might be alternator cause the battery surely would of just died by now? Im gonna get it looked at asap but I thought Id just throw this out there to see if anyone had any ideas on it. Also, regular workshop or auto-electrician for this?

G

Unregistered
Make sure the battery terminals are all tight and the earth connections are fine with no corrosion

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Check all your wiring, fuses and terminals.

The regulator in the alternator might be stuffed.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Also check the voltage across the battery terminals with the car running and with it off. It should be around 14-14.5v with the car running.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Alternator isnt charging the battery, its going to the auto electrician for a rebuild :angry:

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Most likely it will be the regulator or the brush's have worn down and arn't making enough contact .

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
Most likely it will be the regulator or the brush's have worn down and arn't making enough contact .
+1 on this one

i had similar issues before. on a traffic jam, stero died and then all the warning lights came on. when i reved the car, it was back to normal. when i drove in higher speed, it was fine

i changed the bushes, then it was fine

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
bad news, took it to an auto electrician shop that is owned by a friend of mine and they think with the amount of labor its gonna take to get the alternator out of there its better off to replace the alternator then to repair it.
The next problem finding an alternator, they found one for about $900 that is 110A and might fit. First they have to take mine out first to measure to see if it is a match.
So for now Im using a battery charger to keep me juiced up. Tomorrow I call the warranty man and tell him the news, which I expect he is not gonna like and Ill then have to take it to his preferred repairer.

If anyone knows where to get cheap alternators for our cars or just has any advice on the matter please tell

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Dude seriously a regulator should cost no more than $100. I have bought heaps of these and secondly my mate is an auto elec and the most I have paid for a brand new 120amp alternator is $400-$450

Bosch or Mitsi speak to a supplier like ASHDOWN INGRAMS.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Oh well I drop it back to the dealer tomorrow and they will call me when its fixed. Im over it, just want it working properly :p

Had it on a battery charger today and took it for a drive, cd player magically came back to life and damn it was good to drive, which makes me more mad cause I cant wait to get it back and take it for a real drive without having to worry about this shit. Good thing it happened 10 days before warranty ran out though...

Top Bottom