Another Auto Tranny Qu - Load sensing...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hi all,

I've posted this up on CVR4 but so far no definitive responses...

Firstly I will explain my intensions; I am looking at installing an aftermarket ECU just for controlling ignition/fuel but still keeping the stock ECU for startup and idle / aircon etc. The aftermarket ECU uses a MAP sensor hence there is no need for the AFM.

As my car is an auto my question is where does the auto ECU get the load sensing signal from? Is it from the AFM or the throttle position sensor? Those are the only two places I can think of that the auto ECU would use for electronic load sensing.

[*Hang on while I get up on my soap box*] I love these auto boxes and I think it's a shame that when doing performance mods to these cars the auto box is ditched a manual conversion is used.:( My aim at the moment is to clear up the gray areas about the INVECS II so more mods are possible!

G

Unregistered
I think we are all just scared of how much power and punishment they will handle...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
And rightfully so Benny,

But I have never read any stories about these trannies snapping on the start line of a drag strip. They have only died from poor maintaining or seals going.
There have been a few guys in UK that have autos and 350hp atw along with 100hp shot of nos and their trannies are still going strong. Obviously I would want to do fluid flushes and tranny services regularly with that sort of punishment.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Josh is right there, I've never heard of one breaking from having too much power either, they break because people don't service them properly.

As far as the actual question goes, I know there are a whole range of sensors, but I don't know if the gearboxes uses the maf sensor at all.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Looks like I'll be in some unchartered waters with doing this ECU upgrade!

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Bump!!

Just got a really encouraging reply from David Thomas to a few questions. He is worth more than his weight in platinum!

I have successfully run aftermarket EMS systems on auto Mitsubishi's before, they use TPS and other variables for the auto.

I am finishing a triptronic supercharger V6 magna this moment with a E11 and it is running fine without a AFM meter being hooked up at all.

They do run two seperate computers, but there are wires feeding out of the factory ecu into the trans ECU.

What you do, is simply cut the injection and ignition wires, control them directly by the aftermarket ECU, and then tap into the ancilisary sensors and feed them to both factory and aftermarket ecu.

Top Bottom