Another Prefacelift Brake Upgrade

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
either that or buy any prefered caliper/brake you wish to have (say, anything that'll bolt onto the Facelift models)

and spend the $500 towards an engineer whom which can manufacture a right sized adapter for the caliper from the 130mm pre-facelift (I was going to do this option for my brake upgrade...almost though)

Though which may work out to be similar of price to purchasing a set of hub carriers and such...:LOL:

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Can't make an adaptor plate for 130-160mm spacings. I've looked into this and they're too close. I've been through this whilst installing Evo 8 brembos to my pre-facelift. You just have to change the hub carriers.

However, just get any radial mounted caliper and you just make the correct L bracket for it. Then you can fit anything to anything (rotor size comes into play of course).

That first post upgrade looks hell dodgy...your better option would be here

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Wouldn't an 'L' bracket or dog bone, whatever you feel like naming it, be and adaptor?

Am I missing something? From how I see it, anything that allows a larger or smaller P.C.D. than the stock unit is an adaptor.

If the grade of steal or aluminium used is sufficient in structural strength, what's the issue?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
The 3000 option would be a far smarter/cheaper alternative to Brembos on a PF L

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
thank you trev,

so its me, Trev and Joel vs ozvr4 lol

im waiting on Mr bradbrad to share his knowledge with us

just for reference, this is a $7000 wilwood kit, notice the brackets for the front calipers

Brakes%201.jpg

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Wouldn't an 'L' bracket or dog bone, whatever you feel like naming it, be and adaptor?

Am I missing something? From how I see it, anything that allows a larger or smaller P.C.D. than the stock unit is an adaptor.

If the grade of steal or aluminium used is sufficient in structural strength, what's the issue?

Whatever word you use is not the point. The point is that the difference between 130mm spacing and 160mm spacing is 30mm, or 15mm per side.

When you make a bracket that is sufficiently strong enough the outside edge of the inside bolt holes overlap the outer hole, meaning it can't be bolted on.

When I first got my VR4 I went through this as I wanted to make a bolt on kit that could be used, but it turned out this way. The thread may be on the old ozvr4 site.

FWIW it's noone vs. noone. Simply exchanging experience and knowledge. Why do these things have to be turned to conflict?

The radial mounting option is far easier as far as fitment and options go. For those who don't know, radial mounted calipers have the bolts going through the top of the caliper to the bottom, as opposed to going through the front to the back.

This then means that a simple L shaped adaptor/bracket/whatever-as-it-doesnt-matter can be made to suit the spacing required. The only thing left to worry about is the caliper spacing from the hub to ensure the right size rotors can be used.

I only wish to exchange experience to save others the hassles I went through...

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
I don't see the issue with this....The owner of tunersnations is a friend of mine, They've been making these brackets for 1G and 2G Eclipses and 6th Gen Galant VR4s for a few years now. A few race cars run them

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Agreed. Make it out of alfoil, it will break. Make it from a high quality, high strength material, and it won't.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
thank you trev,

so its me, Trev and Joel vs ozvr4 lol

im waiting on Mr bradbrad to share his knowledge with us

just for reference, this is a $7000 wilwood kit, notice the brackets for the front calipers

Brakes%201.jpg
They have brackets for both front and back. :)

The Willwood kit that I have seen on their website uses radial mounts on both front and back calipers....

On the other hand I have these sitting in my garage:

DSC01701a.jpg

These have a 99mm bolt spacing on them.... And I have worked out the adaptors I have for them are 130mm spaced on the hub side(think that is a falcon spacing as was off an NZ V8 racecar), with a 330mm disc...

DSC01702a.jpg

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
sweet! post them to me....you know...for a trial fit haha

and just to point it out, them wilwoods i posted run two brackets, the hub adaptor and the radial mount

Attachments

• double brackets.jpg
    double brackets.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 159

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
sweet! post them to me....you know...for a trial fit haha

and just to point it out, them wilwoods i posted run two brackets, the hub adaptor and the radial mount
Will be borrowing one of Pierre(pbaron)'s prefacelift hubs, and one of Wynn(Vr4 Mad)'s evo discs to confirm the fitment of the calipers, once I get moved into my new place. :)

When we eventually get these installed will be running the std evo brembo disc size as we cant be bothered spending NZ $360+GST per disc for 330mm discs....:thumbdown:

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
dude, why dont you just buy a stoptech or willwood kit that will fit a D32A Eclipse (2G FWD Turbo)

they have the same hub carriers to our cars (P F L)

hub carriers for my car.. Right - MR223629 & Left - MR223628

this is for stoptech..

this is for wilwood

*edit*

above details are valid, but cost around $1k+

but, I found some radial mount calipers..

ones from

Porsche's, Alcon 6 Pot, Mercedes AMG 8 Pot, Brembo Monoblock

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Most likely the fronts will be radial(the 6 pots look like a radial mount) and the rears are lug mount like my ones... Though they could be the other way round.. lol :p

Technically there should be no strength issues with the brackets, as long as they have been made from the correct materials... :D

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
lol, you posted a link and 10 minutes later its already gone, bad link or the item was deleted

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
wish i knew this earlier as there was a set of brembos that sold on ebay the other month for real cheap and i could of just used these discs for the front and i would of been set.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Jebus. That's some profit margin that guy's running. What a frikkin rip...

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
not too bad, considering RnD and you get new 360mm discs

Top Bottom