Anyone still using CRT monitors??

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Thought I'd post a pic of my 22inch beastie still going strong after 10 years!

If it isn't broke, then I'm not fixing it (y)

IMG_1869.jpg

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
You are a rare one! In saying that, My dad is still using one to control his Matboard cutter. Again, no need to fix what isnt broken! Although inside we've all switched to LCD/LED/Plasma. When space is at a premium, and these TV's are just SOOOO CHEAP, why not.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Average power consumption of a CRT monitor - 76W
Average power consumption of an LCD monitor - 20W.

Assuming you use the screen for "working hours", ie eight hours a day, five days a week, for 46 weeks a year,

Power use of a CRT: 139.84 kilowatt-hours per year
Power use of an LCD: 36.8 kilowatt-hours per year.

Over 10 years:
CRT: 1398.4 kilowatt-hours.
LCD: 368 kilowatt-hours.

Assuming 10 cents per kilowatt-hour:

That CRT screen cost you $139 to run, while an LCD would have cost you $3.

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
so what are the other monitors doing?

are you running multiple monitors?

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
I have one on my front lawn at the moment for hard rubbish collection :p

WinfieldBlue

Crunching Gears
First Name
Ceaser
Drive
galant
Average power consumption of a CRT monitor - 76W
Average power consumption of an LCD monitor - 20W.

Assuming you use the screen for "working hours", ie eight hours a day, five days a week, for 46 weeks a year,

Power use of a CRT: 139.84 kilowatt-hours per year
Power use of an LCD: 36.8 kilowatt-hours per year.

Over 10 years:
CRT: 1398.4 kilowatt-hours.
LCD: 368 kilowatt-hours.

Assuming 10 cents per kilowatt-hour:

That CRT screen cost you $139 to run, while an LCD would have cost you $3.

Wow nice write up

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
LCD would be $36.80 at those prices ;)

But retail electricity is more like at least 18c/kWh now so almost double those differences anyway.

Back on topic, I had a 17"CRT for ages past it's useby but I have to say I do like the twin 24" LCD I run now, so much better resolution and space on the desk. And now I see those eyefinity setups I see the point of massive graphics capability for gaming (not my thing though)

I'm really wondering if there is anyone else on this forum using a CRT

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
In terms of resolution, it can shoot up to some massive insane one when I only had a Radeon 9550 powering the home PC.

When I get it running again with a Radeon 9800 Pro, I'll take a piccy of the max.

85hz refresh & none of this 'ms' response times. Picture quality is awesome. Dual VGA inputs too :)
Also has a 4-port USB hub but no longer works.

Who cares about power usage? Sheesh..... especially when my TV is a 51inch high-def rear-projection. (Besides, it's mainly off & only used on weekends if that).

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
so what are the other monitors doing?

are you running multiple monitors?

The one of the left is an ex-POS unit (standalone PC with 15inch touchscreen).
The one on the right is a 17inch LCD with built in speakers for my parent's PC that I'm putting together (can see it just on the right edge behind the steering wheel) so they can Skype with their grandkids.

I only use 1 monitor.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I have a 22" Apple Cinema Display CRT which can run @ 100Hz. FPS games look SO GOOD on this... and basically the guts of it is a Trinitron.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Unfortunately, everyone is using palettes for LCDs these days, so the same images/games come up quite dark on a CRT.

Won't even look at an LCD until this monitor is dead.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
when it dies, you better take it out to a feild and give it a good burial, ala: office space and the printer

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
was using a 17" sony crt only till a couple of weeks ago, when i scored 3 broken dell 2007fb 20" monitors from work. All had a busted cap on their power supplies.

i cant stand LCD, except dells use IPS panels (well one is using a Samsung PVA panel, other two are LG IPS... you would not believe the amount of time i've spent in the service menu trying to calibrate them so they look the same) - so they are not too bad. still miss my crt :(

CRT Contrast ratio, colour reproduction, etc > LCD. only thing LCD got over CRT (well trinitron crts, i cant stand normal CRTs) is power consumption and size.

My TV is still a 80cm std def sony crt wega... even has VGA input! my bro has a bravia, it's a nice tv, but they way LCD reproduces stuff + the digital processing, just looks horrible. Samsung and LG tvs are the same, too much image processing... CRT was analog, no need for any processing esp using progressive scanning.

or maybe i'm just fussy with displays!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yea I've tried playing console games on modern LCD TVs. The lag is horrible from the post-processing of the image.
Most nowadays have a Game Mode which turns off all that stuff, but the picture image looks just terrible.

Give me a CRT anyday, though I'm running a high-def (720P) rear-projection TV for console gaming. The sound system in it is AMAZING :)

PSI-S12

Crunching Gears
First Name
Will
Drive
Legnum/180SX/Silvia
Reading thru this thread has made me regret not keeping up with technology hahaha. I reckon I understood about 10% of what you blokes are talking about :p

Me and pen+paper are getting along just fine haha.

Top Bottom