frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Hey guys, just fitted a S-AFC II, and done some basic setting up. Drove around on standard settings today, and a little tonight, but decided id have a bit of a fiddle. set -1% at around 3000, and all the parts above that to -2% on the high and low throttle settings. Not going to do any further than 2% till ive got a wideband or pay for a proper tune where they can muck around with it...

Anyway, results are what everyone likes.... Knock stayed at 0, so that was fine, though i found quite a bit of extra pickup as soon as it was in those rpm ranges. suprising the difference 2% can make, even though the first time i tried was on my own, second was with both me and krystal, and it still felt like a rocket (more than when i was on my own before it was played with)

Also a top feature of these things is the deceleration correction... You take your foot off the pedal and the car goes down in revs smoothly, instead of being lumpy like normal. Dont know all the details on how it works, but you can pretty much set when you want it to work. This also corrects your fuelling issues with VTA BOV's aparently, so next step for me will be to try a VTA, and im expecting to have no troubles..

Will let you know how i go... also is this the right place to post or should i just keep adding to my car's post from aages ago..?

G

Unregistered
great kool

im a real fan of Apexi Products,
keep us posted on the progresss

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
good to know it works well.. but just a piece of advice.. get a wideband before you start changing/correction air & fuel mixture.. I dont think you'd want your engine to go BANG!

I'm pretty sure alot of the experienced guys here would strongly suggest to get it tuned professionally if you've never really tuned a car with one of these..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I agree with Chris - do it properly or you'll regret it. There's no such thing as cheap or 'free' performance upgrades if you screw your engine up.

There's no problem with this being a new topic, Josh :)

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
I had my SAFC tuned by Chip Torque last week these are the settings they made (NOTE: Do not copy these figures I do not want to be responsible for blowing up your engine, just so you know).
Lo set 40% high set 70%

RPM LOW HIGH
1000 0 0
2000 -5 -2
3000 -5 -4
4000 -3 -6
4500 -3 -8
5000 0 -9
5500 0 -11
6000 0 -11

The car put out 165KW which is ok but if Madhav's stock car puts out 162 then this is shit. The only issue I find is the inconsistancy with boost level. My car only gets about 300KM per tank so thats why the -ve values, hasn't helped fuel consumption though.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Interesting Matt. I have a AFC,NEO. Haven't had it tuned yet. I bought a wideband O2 to tune it but am yet to fit it.
I have similar settings on mine based on my dyno result
My high settings are -10% from 3000rpm as mine AFR was flat lining at 10(the lowest it would read. Pretty confident that'll be ok until i get time to sort it properly.

Although, i can't find a knock value on any of the menu's.
Which SAFC do you have?
This is mine
http://www.apexi-usa.com/graphics/products/2601.jpg

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Hi Simon you've got the better one, my one is the model before that. I can't find any knock values either, maybe my model doesn't have it. I have done the 'Blue Wire Mod' where you conect the blue wire to the O2 signal. Doesn't really do anything as the reading appears to be all over the place.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Ah, ok. I have read a few guys on here metion the knock values, i was inerested to see what mine was reading but i can't find it.

Sounds like your car is running well except for the fuel consumption still- weird that. Have you given it some more boost??

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
It usually hits 14-15 psi, sometimes boost cut (but I think that was just me playing the boost controller) but only holds about 12 ish PSI. I need to replace the cat converter as its a crap one just for compliance, also replace 2 - 2.5 inch pipe with 3 inch maybe new muffler as well (has a Jasma 2.5 muffler now)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yes, full exhaust is the go! I took my car to an exhaust place last week to get quotes on dumps and front pipes(mine already has 3inch cat back)
I've "hi-flowed" the cat, sounds better too and few more rumbles on overrun now!

Certainly responds well to more PSI, i've kept it at ~10psi
Did they suggest why fuel comsumption was still crap?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Interesting Matt. I have a AFC,NEO. Haven't had it tuned yet. I bought a wideband O2 to tune it but am yet to fit it.
I have similar settings on mine based on my dyno result
My high settings are -10% from 3000rpm as mine AFR was flat lining at 10(the lowest it would read. Pretty confident that'll be ok until i get time to sort it properly.

Although, i can't find a knock value on any of the menu's.
Which SAFC do you have?
This is mine
http://www.apexi-usa.com/graphics/products/2601.jpg

dunno how much different the SAFC NEO from the SAFC-2.. as far as i remember the knock setting is in the ETC mode..

Whiteleg - could it be possible that your O2 sensor's dying?! coz with mine, i get consisten 420-460kms now..

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Simon - No they could give a reason as to why the consumption is bad (maybe I have a heavy foot)

Christian The o2 Sensor maybe be dying this is the third one I've tried (2nd hand ones) I'm going to take an old one into a place in Southport who say they can match it. But I still think its the Cat, maybe I should just remove the internals of the existing crap cat and see what happens.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Simon - No they could give a reason as to why the consumption is bad (maybe I have a heavy foot)

Christian The o2 Sensor maybe be dying this is the third one I've tried (2nd hand ones) I'm going to take an old one into a place in Southport who say they can match it. But I still think its the Cat, maybe I should just remove the internals of the existing crap cat and see what happens.

It'll take around 3 good hits to remove a ceramic style cat, which is what yours probably is.

Be interested to hear what happens with the O2 sensor shop?

G

Unregistered
I also have major fueling issues and its not the O2 sensor. I have a wideband in mine, just trying to get hold of a USB to serial connector to hook up the wideband controller to watch the fuel ratios.
My car had a cat on the dump and two additional cats after that. Which is all on its way out so I'll update if anything changes.
Going to get a neo later to play with the fuel too so glad this thread appeared.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Your machine still chewing through fuel Paul? That's a bit crap dude :( Hope you find the cause soon! Maybe put your exhaust back on first perhaps... Just a thought ;)

G

Unregistered
Just a note guy's the apexi's are a nice basic system, but they don't have an y ignition timing adjustment so for any real tuning, they are not that good. Especially if you are going to do major mods to the car being exhaust and dump pipe packages, especially with a larger intercooler, you will need timing control to ensure you don't have detonation issues.

Air/fuel ratio's do not by themselves control detonation. Just a warning thats all. If you want to do serious tuning, then personally Emanage Blue or the Haltech Miniceptor kit as both will allow fuel and ignition tuning on the vehicle to a much greater degree than an Apexi unit.

So saying that, I have tuned quite a few cars with Apexi's and gotten good results but compared to the tuning I have done with the greddy's and Haltech units, they don't compare at all.

G

Unregistered
Apex'i make a seperate unit for timing adjustment, the apexi ITC.

it's a bit silly comparing an emange blue/haltech miniceptor with an SAFC...

firstly the emanage is ~$600, and the haltech ~$700, and secondly, they are both piggy back ECU's, whereas an SAFC can be picked up for under $300, and is purely a AFM signal modifier.

an SAFC is fine for exhaust/intake/FMIC, i've used them for years.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Paul - you've got 3 cats in your exhaust? WTF they only come with one. Are you sure the others aren't just resonators?

G

Unregistered
they were definately cats, there was 2 welded together to form a super cat. :p

that's why he's getting my super exhaust, when my 3" arrives.

Top Bottom