apexi super afc

G

Unregistered
Hi guys can anyone with experience shed some light.
What pro's and cons are there between the first one knob apexi afc and the 5 knob afc and then the popular super afc in blue.
Will the afc one knob give some gains on out vr4 or is it useless.
Cheers

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Different number of load points to be changed, ie.

original 5 knob AFC can only change at 5 points over the rev range, ie. 7000/5 = every 1400rpm

First SAFC (blue screen with 4 buttons) has 8 load ponits, 7000/8 = every 875rpm

SAFCII (Blue screen with dail) has 12 load points, 7000/12 = every 580rpm

AFC Neo has 16 load points = every 473rpm, BUT some still have issues with the Karmen flow meter (by accounts on here)

So SAFCII is the best bet of the bunch ;)

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I dont get it? What does it do?

no0b here!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Have a look at post 19 on this page here for explanation of what the SAFC does:
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4087&page=2

And, with regard to load points, the more points you have, the more fine tuning can be done. As the SAFC will interpolate between load points (ie. straightline) this can lead to odd mixtures between load points if they are too far apart.
i.e.
If you had load points of 2000 and 3000 RPM, and 2000 was at +4%, 3000 was at +2% then at 2500rpm (mid point between the two) the correction would be +3%. BUT if you needed +4% at 2500 RPM also, then it would be out of tune, whereas if you were able to set load points at 2000, 2500 & 3000 rpm you can fine tune it better. SO the more load points the better.

If you look at the graph below, the blue line has more load points, and is therefore able to follow the desired loda (green line) better than the magenta line.

Attachments

• Map.JPG
    Map.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 16
G

Unregistered
Hey Lee.
Thanks as the info is very helpful.
I have a few blitz products on my car and was hoping to stick to the theme.
Whats your thoughts on the r-fit unit and the r-vit.
The r-fit has 16 load points and can be tuned every 100rpm and it says up to 50% fuel adjustment.
Have read they are a better and more accurate unit then the apexi's but what are your thought or are they same/same.
Cheers

G

Unregistered
AFC Neo has 16 load points = every 473rpm, BUT some still have issues with the Karmen flow meter (by accounts on here)

Apparently the latest firmware has fixed that, can't remember where it was said unfortunately. Also Paul (takumi) never had problems with his. Bit of a hit and miss I think

G

Unregistered
Hey lee.
I got a few blitz items on the car so ended up going for the r-fit for now.
Will get the e11 when the budget comes around.
The r-fit is same as neo with 16 points of adjustment.
Just wondering is it best to adjust every 437rpm or should we start from 1500rpm as the first point as really nothing happens below 1400rpm.So basicaly can you do every 350rpm from 1400-7000.
Whats your thoughts and have you or do you know how to tune the r-fit and the only diff is the throttle benefit on the neo and how beneficial is this over the r-fit which has not throttle adjustments.
Cheers

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Adam - I'm not at all familiar with the r-fit, but based on your explanation sounds like it does almost the same job - so should be fine. As for the RPM, yes you wouldn't start it till 1500rpm, as adjusting below that is pointless ;)

Also replied to your PMs.

G

Unregistered
Hi Lee what about the tuning the fuel controller.
Do you need some accurate oxygen probe to read the exhaust temps and for richness and then tune it via a road test or is it simpler then that as there are no dyno's here so cant tune it that way?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
A wideband O2 sensor is what you need with the software to be able to log it. The Wideband O2 sensor Gly has now (cant remember the name) is the sort of thing you are after. You need its own software to be able to log your general driving and power runs so you can adjust the fuel to get the correct AFRs. Road tune is sometimes said to be better than dyno tune as the loads are more realistic - just here in Australia we have these darn things called traffic & speed limits ;)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
PLX-SMR i think is the name.. its plug n play.. self learning.. which is what i prefer..

G

Unregistered
Het cristian plx-smr is the wide band sensor?????
Lost me.
And what about the softwre where does it go.
Does it come with a com cable and software and then tuned on a lap top?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
See this post here for what Gly bought:
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showpost.php?p=54155&postcount=116

And yes, software goes on your laptop, cable from the wideband to your laptop. Go for a drive, log data on the laptop, reivew the data, change settings on your fuel controller and repeat! :) Quite simple in theory, BUT there is an art to tuning, of which I have no idea as I haven't done it before

Top Bottom