Auto gearbox issues

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
my leggie is driving like a dream now! Heaps smooth gear changes too!

A mate said that when I do the manual conversion, I should just swap the engine and trnasmission over too at the same time to save on labour. I have to replace the timing belt and water pump of my existing setup, and I would assume this has been done on the half cut already since its got 109km on the clock. Would people agree with this? Seems to me it might be a bit risky, given that I know my engine is pretty good, and dont know anything about the new engine except that the wrecker said it runs well and has good compression.

G

Unregistered
Don't assume anything. I would stick with the engine that you know.

DVR

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Danny
Drive
Delica mainly
Start it before you any dismantling.

Easiest way is to make another temp fuel supply. Fuel can, fuel pump drawing through a filter, supply line to rail and return back. I seem to recall 2m of 10mm and 6mm lines should do it.

Be careful to insulate the battery power to your pump and double check all the fluids are in the motor and box.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
thanks for the advice.

Would people agree though, that labour wise, the conversion would be easier if I just replace the whole engine and transmission from the cut into mine? (keeping in mind the water pump and timing belt have already been changed in the half cut).

Nick Mann

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Nick Mann
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4
It depends on who is doing the job.

I'm registered as a mobile mechanic and have done 3 manual conversions on VR4's. I don't have easy access to any kind of ramp/lift, so do the work with large axle stands, a good trolley jack and an engine hoist. For me, it is almost impossible to get the engine and gearbox out in one unit. The only sensible way to get them out in one unit is to lower them - there is too much stuff in the way to lift them out as one piece.

I would personally split the box anyway - I'd want to know what the clutch was like, and funds allowing, put something I wanted in there.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Thanks for the advice. So after 3 conversions, how many hours have you got it down to?

Any idea if there is a guide on the whole process on Club VR4? I signed up to pay the joining fee but they havent contacted me yet (its not an automatic system like on ozvr4).

Anyone know of anyone (either mechanic, workshop or backyard mechanic) in SA who has done the conversion before?

Nick Mann

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Nick Mann
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4
The system is automatic for people in the UK, but you will be paying your funds to the NZ side of the club. I'm not sure on how that works. Drop me a PM here or on CVR4 with your username/email address and I'll get someone to look at it.

There is no guide as such, although several people have talked about the process. It takes me roughly 20-24 hours of labour for the job. If your chassis number is EC5W 040XXXX then you might have to do some investigating on the speedo wiring. I understand that the loom is different on those cars and the speedo isn't a direct plug in. on the earlier cars the loom plugs straight in to the sensor. On cars with seperate traction control, you will have issues with traction control turned on. As far as I can remember, all other parts of the conversion are identical accross the board.

G

Unregistered
There was a guide over on Club VR4 about removing and refitting the auto box, which should at least help you getting it out of the car. But I just went to have a look, and while the discussion is still there, the guide (which was 3 attached Word documents) has gone. I'd still recommend becoming a member there, but some of the guides have lost their value because the pictures have gone AWOL.

G

Unregistered
Couldn't find thread for this. I have a auto transmission. The little bits of plastic that cover the transmission when you shift are brocken. So you can look straight down into the gear box. Looks crap. Where can i find new ones. Is there any other options?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Couldn't find thread for this. I have a auto transmission. The little bits of plastic that cover the transmission when you shift are brocken. So you can look straight down into the gear box. Looks crap. Where can i find new ones. Is there any other options?

This has been covered numerous times. As far as answers go, there seems to not be a particular part number for what you're asking for (I've the same issue with mine).

G

Unregistered
Sorry dude, i dont come on the forum very often. That sucks to hear there's no real way to fix it. Ill look for a way.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
steal one from a late model auto magna?

Top Bottom