Auto Transmission Filter

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Andy find out what thread type and seal diameter is - I THINK they just take a standard oil filter, in which case an Amsoil one will be available.

For interest the standard oil filter is M20-1.5 with a seal diameter of 66mm, which is the EA020 filter.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Thanks Trev. This is all something I plan on doing in the next few weeks.
Just trying to build up a collection of oils and parts in preperation for the big day.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Just a thought, the engine oil is pressurised whereas the trans isn't. Perhaps thats why mitsi want to recommend a different filter?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Its a good point Brad, but logic suggests if they use a standard type of oil filter then anything equivalent will do - oil filters are designed to filter particles at a given size and the casing is designed to seal against and withstand a certain pressure - lower pressure shouldn't cause a problem.

That's my theory, anyway - as I don't personally have either an AT nor a filter for such it's not going to affect me if I'm wrong, so you'll really need to do some research to make sure I'm right before taking my advice! ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
they have a bypass though that doesn't open when the oil is below a certain pressure, don't they?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Don't think it works like that Brad - bypass valves are designed to stop a clogged filter from blocking oil flow - basically it's a pressure valve that will open if the pressure against it becomes too great - it's not 'open by default' until the oil pressure reaches a certain level.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Ok, stating the obvious here.

That looks like a complete bitch to get out!

G

Unregistered
Just a thought, the engine oil is pressurised whereas the trans isn't. Perhaps thats why mitsi want to recommend a different filter?

uhh.. isnt the transmission oil pressurised as well?

i was under the impression the oil was pressurised and used to control the clutches/bands to operate the planetary gearset?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
You can take the dipstick out while the car is running and oil doesn't spray everywhere, so it can't be under much pressure?

G

Unregistered
you can do the same with an engine....

the sump shouldn't be pressurised, if it is, you have issues (your dipstick would shoot out on engine/tranny if it was...)

the pump pushes oil to certain lines to activate different bands/clutches, and then the oil drains back to the sump, similar to an engine.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Transmission Filter
TF CFS44
$24.40

Valvoline MaxLife ATF Dexron III Mercon 5ltr
$55

Hmmm....

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Funny thing is after reading this threat I checked my 2001 Leggy and you can see where the filter is supposed to go but there is no filter.

G

Unregistered
anyone know the amount of oil the auto takes?

Just rang Mitsubishi in Bathurst, don't have the filters in stock here, but they reckon there are 15000 in the warehouse! that's a lot of filters!!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Yes the facelifts do have them, if you look in your engine bay on top of your gearbox you will see it ...

Mitsubishi # MD752072 - Automatic Gearbox Filter $32.60

Yup, this came in handy as I'm at Berwick Mitsubishi spare parts right at this moment... all those years later!

Top Bottom