AYC and braided hoses

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
No idea about the braided part, but:

the torque on those lines into the diff is very small about 6-8Nm. That's much less then you think. If you lean on it even slightly even with a small spanner on the outer line the casing will crack. Check the torque in the manual and use a torque wrench for that one or just be very very careful. Nip it up and don't put any pressure on it.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
How do you get a torque wrench over a hydraulic fitting?
I think the bleed nipple is certainly the weaker point.
As for the braided lines, I'd say the fittings would be right, but I doubt the lengths would be same between the evo and vr4. Maybe get some custom lines made up? It's just a flare nut fitting at each end isn't it?

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Legnum 6A13TT, Galant 6A13
That's what I was thinking - I will bring the old fittings over to a hydraulics shop, see what they say

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
The outer line is definitely weaker than the bleed nipples. Good point about torque wrench though. Ok that case just do them up very gently!

I know because I cracked mine :)

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
maybe the fittings are originally tightened very softly, but as they corrode the breaking force required gets much higher, which is what made me round off that nut. I had to take everything off at the diff and undo the last fitting in a bench vice.

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
I've always wondered what these are used for, cheers!

You probably want the flared crows foot though:

s-l1600.jpg

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
^^^ wouldn't the offset make the torque reading inaccurate?
Probably. Not by much though since the length of the de-facto lever is not much at all.

Took the fittings to a hydraulics store, and they weren't helpful at all, it seems that it's not a standard type of fitting at all. Sigh.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Not if the offset is at 90degrees....ie dont change the length of the lever arm.

Top Bottom